Cycle Lab bullies need to be addressed

Baracuda

I am of the opinion the marshal did the right thing because yes, a big group going down can be very dangerous indeed!

So riding in a big group gives you the right to bully single riders then because it's ok for one guy to fall??

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have they got a tracking system on them so that you can see exactly what time which group was where?

OK, OK, I know Strava holds all the answers.

No, but the marshals will know where they were roughly at what time.... jeez dude tone down the attitude, people are trying to help.

Time and exact place in Cradle that it happened will help.

strava labs flybys for the win.....if the op uses strava

Edited by Stretch

So riding in a big group gives you the right to bully single riders then because it's ok for one guy to fall??

really is that what I said?

No, but the marshals will know where they were roughly at what time.... jeez dude tone down the attitude, people are trying to help.

Also trying to help, and your attitude also leaves a lot to be desired.

It was a legitimate question. How to establish exact time and location of different groups, and if there is a visual way to distinguish between groups. 

Going on approximate time and approximate position is not very foolproof.

I know there are some real arses out on our roads, but I find it difficult to believe that a group of riders will over take someone and start pushing and shoving him just because he was there.

I have been over-taken by many big groups (yes Cyclelab too) and have always been greeted by the guys in the faster groups, some have offered encouragement and many have offered for me to join them.

I have also been in big groups over taking slower riders and again, the same courtesy was offered.

There is something more to this story. Maybe an unintentional bump by a rider in the group that was perceived as a push.

As far as shouting is concerned. It is normal to shout in the bunch to warn others of the slower rider, to warn others of approaching cars etc. Perhaps that shouting was percieved as abuse.

I know there are some real arses out on our roads, but I find it difficult to believe that a group of riders will over take someone and start pushing and shoving him just because he was there.

I have been over-taken by many big groups (yes Cyclelab too) and have always been greeted by the guys in the faster groups, some have offered encouragement and many have offered for me to join them.

I have also been in big groups over taking slower riders and again, the same courtesy was offered.

There is something more to this story. Maybe an unintentional bump by a rider in the group that was perceived as a push.

As far as shouting is concerned. It is normal to shout in the bunch to warn others of the slower rider, to warn others of approaching cars etc. Perhaps that shouting was percieved as abuse.

100% right - in the group I was in...a single rider without looking started to move back into the road as we (cyclelab group) where approaching, this is when the marshal shouted out...this rider took exception to the fact that we made our presence known as we rode past. He honestly did not look and shouted back at us that we don't own the road etc?

Edited by mtbDobby

Also trying to help, and your attitude also leaves a lot to be desired.

It was a legitimate question. How to establish exact time and location of different groups, and if there is a visual way to distinguish between groups. 

Going on approximate time and approximate position is not very foolproof.

Hi is ń sensitiewe laaitie.....everyone must tone down around him...but I got your reasoning...

I call BS on this.

I've ridden in the Cradle for years, including a year with the Labrats, and never once have I had any issue with a lab group, or seen an incident involving them pushing someone off their bike.

There are 3 sides to every story, and this one definitely needs the third version to be told.

My friend and I have joined in a few of the groups mid ride and have only ever been met with friendly and encouraging comments. It can definitely be intimidating when those large groups come past however and I think people do sometimes forget about the rider a little too soon after they have passed because they're trying to stay on the wheel on front, hold the line etc. Something I've noticed too is that when I pass a slower rider, just as I get to them, they swerve out into me. I know it's not intentional but seems to happen almost every time. It could result in a shout, because as the passing rider it can also get a bit close and scary. 

Also to be fair, a lot of those groups are joined mid ride by other riders who may not have been briefed or know how to ride in a group. It is something one needs to learn. 

cycle lab does have by far the most incidents reported on the hub, not saying I am going either way on the story, just mentioning what has been mentioned hundreds of times,,,,,yes I am sure they one of the biggest clubs, so this will influence the number of complaints but when I drive to VG most the groups do pretty much "spread the love" accross the road and as a cyclist I always chirp the wife "and we wonder why motorists have issues with us"