Statement regarding cancellation of the 40th Cape Town Cycle Tour from David Bellairs

News bot

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope that money is spent on securing the route next year to prevent protests etc.

The police seemed to think the protesters were a much bigger issue than the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The epic prologue for last year was moved away from table mountain back to meerendal in fear of the fees must fall campaign. (Prologue finished at UCT campus).

I thought it was the best most picturesque way of starting the pinnacle of MTB events with tm in the background of all the footage, it was a pity to move it, but to me the organizers had no choice, the threats were real, we saw the extent to which the disgruntled were willing to go.

There is no doubt that the primary reason for canceling the tour today was the threat emerging out of the protest action, and I'm sure they would have moved closer to the detour which still ran close to the kommetjie area.

These events in the cape are attracting a lot of international attention making them soft spots for disgruntled campaigning.

The organizers reactions from both these events, although the correct ones to take, now mean that using these events as opportunities for attracting international attention to a problem will be an easier one. I have no doubt that the two oceans marathon, the comrades etc etc are up for grabs by the next disgruntled group of people, who under the ANC seem to be growing in numbers.

Blind Freddy knows the wind was used as an excuse to avoid the issue of protesters and route changes brought about by those who are/were revolting.

Does it really matter if it was the wind, the protesters, the Hout Bay fires or whatever combination of any of the 3?

None of these were made up by the organisers to rob our money. None of these were under the control of the organisers and all 3 were a potential threat to us.

I understand the disappointment but jeez thehub is full of moaners today.

Does it really matter if it was the wind, the protesters, the Hout Bay fires or whatever combination of any of the 3?

None of these were made up by the organisers to rob our money. None of these were under the control of the organisers and all 3 were a potential threat to us.

Perfect statement.

Well you can stop protestors, private security companies along the route in hot spots. And all those police horses etc can be taken to the hot spots etc.

Don't really care about this year, we had a lekker ride with mates. Just don't only blame the wind and do nothing next year to prevent the protests.

I entered the race, but about a month ago took the decision not to go. With a few mates we are training for the L'Etape and my training is not where I want it to be, too many long rides in the legs, etc. For me the only reason to go and ride the CTCT would be to target a sub 3. Last year 3.02, I was devastated.

For me the cost of going to Cape Town from JHB is in the region of R 25k. Flights for me and the mrs, car hire accommodation,etc.

The weather cannot be controlled and its just one of those things. Protest action is another, seems like the race was targeted. Who is to say it's not going to happen again next year. Unless the organizers can guarantee that the route will be clear, I am sure they can't and will not, I am not spending 25k plus to go to CT and ride a shortened route or not at all. It's a great route and it is iconic, but the costs and uncertainty of the race going ahead will keep me away.

Edited by hotshot

Well you can stop protestors, private security companies along the route in hot spots. And all those police horses etc can be taken to the hot spots etc.

Don't really care about this year, we had a lekker ride with mates. Just don't only blame the wind and do nothing next year to prevent the protests.

I won't be surprised if the 2oceans organising committee gets private security in. And the CTCTCTCT Argus next year.

Get the private guys in that the Boland farmer's hired last year.

The one company sent 2 guys in polos with a rough attitude and they sorted out a whole farm's issue on their own. I see that company now has a bunch of old Saracens and fresher Nyala's in their fleet.

A show of force like that might escalate tensions to Apartheid Era levels though. Actually, the tension is at that level anyway.

I think the hub is the perfect place for cyclists to be very concerned about the cancellation today.

I'm racing almost every one of the 52 weekends we have in a year, and trust me, money is or can't be a moaning point. I loose more money from not being able to attend an event from illness than a cancellation caused by force majore... more so some of my stage events run in excess of R8k just for entry fees, before flights accommodation and other logistical considerations. I've had to bail on one or two of those too, I don't complain, you learn to cope as an occupational hazard.

The real reason worth being worried though, and worth a debate, is that there is a pattern emerging around events being effected by protest action which threatens our common interest / Passion for cycling.

We are all disappointed yes, but I think expecting some sort of compensation for sunk costs that were already incurred by participants is not going to solve anything.

What I expect is that CTCT organisers come up with a weather proof game plan for next year's race. Maybe a bit impossible yes but at least demonstrate the effort to do so.

For starters why not have 2 alternative dates, the saturday or the sunday, and make the call a week before the time when the forecast gives a general idea of what the better day will be.

Why not also have the option of doing the route in reverse, with strong SE winds, the reverse is easier to deal with as you are sheltered by the mountain for most of the 1st half and then have the wind behind you for most of the 2nd half. Again, this is a call that can be made a few days before when the forecast can be considered as reliable.

Then there's the starting point, SURELY they can come up with alternative starting points. The civic area is one of the windiest places on the planet, why persist with this start point?

If the official race still has to be cancelled for safety reasons, at least give experienced riders the opportunity to take advantage of the closed roads at their own risk by allowing them to start without their race numbers and without support. A nice touch will be to leave the timing mats in place and still have the times count toward seeding, much like the hill climbs are set up, no support, just timing mats. Obviously this will be at the riders own risk, and it can be on condition that you hand in your race number.

Maybe these are all bad ideas, who knows, but it's something better than nothing.

Obviously a lot of emotions running high today.  I wonder where this debate will be a week from now, if it all.

The orgainsers must state the real reasons and not just blow smoke (excuse the pun ) up our .....
They cited three factors which played a role, does it really matter in which order? All three were undoubtedly influential in the events of the day.

This morning presented a number of challenges, not least of which were wind speeds considerably higher than predicted yesterday. This, combined with a large fire that broke out in Hout Bay in the early hours of this morning, and the added risk of protest action en route, were all contributing factors to the decision made in our Joint Operation Centre (JOC) by the VOC Commander to stop the event.

Apart from the start the wind was not a valid reason. And the start was self inflicted as it is known to amplify the wind.

The protest action was avoidable by the spooks at Intelligence actually doing some spooking rather than trying to find dirt on JZ's opponents, real or imagined. Did the protesters actually have any demands in the weeks or months prior to last night?

The fire at Hout Bay did not go near the road that the route uses, it was on the other side of the mountain. 

My moan is that 2 of these reasons you list as valid reasons for the organisers to cancel the event with no thought of any compensation were ENTIRELY avoidable with proper planning, a functioning police intelligence service, proper security and an obligation to give us what we paid for.

This is a massive and extremely profitable business. It is not a few mates getting together to organise a coffee ride. Maybe it's time the organisers are forced to have a plan B. Rather than plan B being a 47km ride or total cancellation.  Why is there no insurance in place in the event of a cancellation?