[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Great job CTCT

They were a disruption at 947. Don't mind them starting in their own category at the back, but there were a few in earlier batches in violation of the rules. I guess the volunteers at the chutes were not told to keep them out.

It is hard for a 13 yr old girl to tell a 50yr old oom that he can't ride his bike....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So where does that leave me? Having my Dad on the back of the tandem is like having more than a little electric motor. He is like a V8.

Good point, I would say the logical next step would be to ban tandems as well. Those things only get in the way, especially on the climbs  :devil:

So where does that leave me? Having my Dad on the back of the tandem is like having more than a little electric motor. He is like a V8.

That is a D-bike, which is still allowed the same as a S-Bike (son at the back), W-Bike (wife at the back)... sorry no E-bike (ex gf at the back) allowed

Confirmed... no ebikes allowed

The organisers of the 2019 Cape Town Cycle Tour would like to reiterate that no E-bikes will be permitted on the Cape Town Cycle Tour. Only bicycles powered 100% by the cyclists own efforts are permitted to participate. Anyone caught attempting to enter a start chute or planning to cycle on an E-bike will be turned away and they will not be permitted to ride the Cycle Tour. This provision is in line with international cycling rulings and is in the interest of participant safety. In the interests of the tens of thousands of Cycle Tour entrants riding on standard bikes, the organisers need to put their safety first. 

The organisers are investigating dedicated cycling opportunities for E-bike riders as this is a growing component of the sport - but unfortunately the mixing of standard bicycles and E-bikes in a large race format would not be a responsible decision by the event organisers. 

For the sake of clarity please refer to clause 2 of the Rules of Entry

2.1.Every rider may only ride a human powered vehicle to complete the course

Kind Regards

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Organising team

what about wind power ?

There have been many CTCTs where I've cruised along at 40/50km/h without pedaling because the wind was pusshing

Just for the lazy peeps: You are already past the 6 week mark from Argus Day! So, basically 4 weeks worth of training left! You haven't lost the Christmas kilos yet? Oh boy! :D

Confirmed... no ebikes allowed

The organisers of the 2019 Cape Town Cycle Tour would like to reiterate that no E-bikes will be permitted on the Cape Town Cycle Tour. Only bicycles powered 100% by the cyclists own efforts are permitted to participate. Anyone caught attempting to enter a start chute or planning to cycle on an E-bike will be turned away and they will not be permitted to ride the Cycle Tour. This provision is in line with international cycling rulings and is in the interest of participant safety. In the interests of the tens of thousands of Cycle Tour entrants riding on standard bikes, the organisers need to put their safety first. 

The organisers are investigating dedicated cycling opportunities for E-bike riders as this is a growing component of the sport - but unfortunately the mixing of standard bicycles and E-bikes in a large race format would not be a responsible decision by the event organisers. 

For the sake of clarity please refer to clause 2 of the Rules of Entry

2.1.Every rider may only ride a human powered vehicle to complete the course

Kind Regards

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Organising team

I have a pit-stop team ready in Simonstown to do a conversion to E-Bike.

Nothing will stop me from  sub 3 this year!!! 

Good point, I would say the logical next step would be to ban tandems as well. Those things only get in the way, especially on the climbs  :devil:

LOL only some of them. For me the single bikes get in the way. Skop them out. All they do is suck my wheel to a sub 3.

LOL only some of them. For me the single bikes get in the way. Skop them out. All they do is suck my wheel to a sub 3.

Was so annoyed last year, me and a few others did a lekker breakaway from the group on Suikerbossie. Only to be hauled in at Camps Bay by a racing tandem & the rest of the group wheelsucking behind them. Urghh!

Was so annoyed last year, me and a few others did a lekker breakaway from the group on Suikerbossie. Only to be hauled in at Camps Bay by a racing tandem & the rest of the group wheelsucking behind them. Urghh!

Could have been us.............We went full gas from top of suikerbossie and by the time we exited the circle onto the finish straight we had a loooooong line of singles that proceeded to sprint passed us.

I don't mind mixing it with the faster singles as most of them can ride and know how a tandem rides and I have also done some vet racing(and the same goes for a lot of the faster tandem riders) so I know how they race, but with slower riders that don't know how a tandem handles/accelerates etc is a nightmare. It works both ways. 

One of the only times I don't think singles and tandems must mix is the sprint, that is an accident waiting to happen. 

I feel the CTCT seeding wrt placing tandems is spot on. I just don't know how they can prevent a mixed sprint other than neutralising the slower group briefly to allow the faster group a gap. It often happened that the ladies and leading tandems were sprinting together. But now with the shorter ladies route they have solved that.

Th thread this year feels much more subdued than previous years this time around, or is that just me blocking a bad experiences. Either be a sign that people are maturing or that people are just not caring anymore

What is the etiquette when it comes to this? - I ride alone most rides and only rode my road bike in  3 closed road events last year - I absolutely sh*t myself in a bunch unless I'm in front.  When I get tired I drop right off.  When a good tandem team come passed me I find it far less disconcerting to sit behind them, way less twitchy.  I will never do a sub 3 because of my refusal to bunch ride but with the help of the odd tandem a 330 semi time trial is in my range for sure.