Pyga Mobu

Ke_Malose

Tower climb?

whites road from Wilderness to Wilderness Heights  - a gradual but steady climb you can really get locked into - 5.56km. Pretty smooth gravel too, I often ride it on a roadbike - links up with the seven passes road

Majestic views over the lakes

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whites road from Wilderness to Wilderness Heights - a gradual but steady climb you can really get locked into - 5.56km. Pretty smooth gravel too, I often ride it on a roadbike - links up with the seven passes road

Majestic views over the lakes

Suffered enough chasing friends up there

Rondevlei loop

So this morning I am going to backtrack a little on the fugliness of the Mobu

My wife thought I was a cocky, arrogant ballbag when she met me.(she was right btw) I grew on her, hopefully not like a rash or a fungus.

Point being some things, especially cutting edge items like the Mobu (and me) take time to be accepted and this morning a Mobu past me and it looked better than my initial thoughts

I still don't like black bikes or too much exposed carbon - think Matthys' bike looks better full of mud than clean.

It's weird how things grow on you. It has happened to me plenty of times. Eg: when the VW Golf 6 came out I thought it was horribly ugly, way worse than the Golf 5. After a couple of months the 5 looked very dated and the 6 all of a sudden was a beauty.

Same thing with Transition's new bikes. I originally thought the sharp lines were uninspired compared to the swoopy lines of their older models. All of a sudden I am dreaming about the new Sentinel every night.

Personally I am not sold on the Mobu's looks (yet), but I am sure I will get there. I agree with you on the paint though. I get why they are leaving it naked, show off that unique layup, it's part of the appeal of the bike, but I'd want a splash of paint on mine.

It's weird how things grow on you. It has happened to me plenty of times. Eg: when the VW Golf 6 came out I thought it was horribly ugly, way worse than the Golf 5. After a couple of months the 5 looked very dated and the 6 all of a sudden was a beauty.

Same thing with Transition's new bikes. I originally thought the sharp lines were uninspired compared to the swoopy lines of their older models. All of a sudden I am dreaming about the new Sentinel every night.

Personally I am not sold on the Mobu's looks (yet), but I am sure I will get there. I agree with you on the paint though. I get why they are leaving it naked, show off that unique layup, it's part of the appeal of the bike, but I'd want a splash of paint on mine.

imo its that kink in at the head tube, amongst other things...it reminds people of that other thing that never grew on anyone ever....

:ph34r:

post-64325-0-78014300-1588938915_thumb.jpg

The Mobu was going up a long climb whilst I was going down - as The Mobu was chatting to someone I thought it wasn't going that fast, it looked very chilled.

So I got to the bottom of what is a 51/2 km climb and turned around on my gravel bike.  

Thought "here is an opportunity to brag to my friends that I beat the Mobu up that climb".  You know,  a screenshot of today's leaderboard with me on top 

I didn't hammer it but I gave it a good effort.  Turns out the Mobu in relaxed chatting mode is still faster up that hill than me at 90 percent huff and puff mode.

The Mobu's ride isn't posted on Strava but the other guys is.  So out of 4 that went up that hill today I'm 3rd fastest and the guy behind me was 100 and on a steel 26er.  My time was actually pretty poor considering the effort

Haha this cracks me up!:)

Sorry Wayne, didn't recognise you but Im sure I did say hello... haha! 

Guys, looks are important yes but there's a whole other discussion being missed here.

The Pyga Mobu is NEXT LEVEL, like the Stage was 5-6 years ago, this thing is that same leap into the future, mark my words. 

On looks, I haven't heard any other comments on first looks than "that is a beast" "looks so fast" "have never seen anything like it" and I'm aslo not a raw carbon fan but when you appreciate the fact that these layers have been done by HAND, by a single person right here in beautiful SA then you realise its an work of art. Patrick always said that the precision of carbon layers done right, should never be hidden... it should be something to be proud of. 

With all that in mind, the raw carbon has really grown on me and Im always super proud to show of this beast. 

Wayne, I'd love for you to see the artwork up close and personal...

Please send me a whatsapp: 0836508141

For the record, our Mobu bikes Cape Epic race ready with burley tyres, tyre inserts, sealant, 2 bottle cages AND a dropper post as we would have lined up at Epic comes in at 11.3kg

Without dropper (normal seatpost and seat) and tyre inserts, with lighter tyres and normal amount of sealant, pedals and 1 bottle cage my Mobu weighs in at 10.4kg (Race ready as I would ride at any other race) 

10.4kg for a 120mm travel all round MONSTER that can out climb any 100mm bike out there, c'mon... ;)

I cant say much more than that so its up to you guys to find out for yourselfs... 

Haha this cracks me up!:)

Guys, looks are important yes but there's a whole other discussion being missed here.

The Pyga Mobu is NEXT LEVEL, like the Stage was 5-6 years ago, this thing is that same leap into the future, mark my words.

On looks, I haven't heard any other comments on first looks than "that is a beast" "looks so fast" "have never seen anything like it" and I'm aslo not a raw carbon fan but when you appreciate the fact that these layers have been done by HAND, by a single person right here in beautiful SA then you realise its an work of art. Patrick always said that the precision of carbon layers done right, should never be hidden... it should be something to be proud of.

With all that in mind, the raw carbon has really grown on me and Im always super proud to show of this beast.

For the record, our Mobu bikes Cape Epic race ready with burley tyres, tyre inserts, sealant, 2 bottle cages AND a dropper post as we would have lined up at Epic comes in at 11.3kg

Without dropper (normal seatpost and seat) and tyre inserts, with lighter tyres and normal amount of sealant, pedals and 1 bottle cage my Mobu weighs in at 10.4kg (Race ready as I would ride at any other race)

10.4kg for a 120mm travel all round MONSTER that can out climb any 100mm bike out there, c'mon... ;)

I cant say much more than that so its up to you guys to find out for yourselfs...

And that’s why I ride a Pyga....

and ye, also, my 3rd Pyga... and will keep riding Pyga.

Thanks Matthys for this message... and would agree, that carbon layout is something else to admire/ draw peoples attention to.

G

Haha this cracks me up! :)

And that’s why I ride a Pyga....

When I met this guy I sent Pyga a message complimenting them because his passion for the brand was so apparent

I have a weight weenie issue that can rear it’s obsessive head occasionally - my Mobu with pedals, 2 cages and garmin Mount should sneak in under 10kgs

This bike was at the top of our 2020 Epic Bike Check list. Sadly, not to be.

Please could you post/publish it anyway ?