Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Did you also take part in the Spes Bona funride this morning?

Went out on my own just after 07h00. Did see a couple of groups coming from Adderley side, none that passed me from behind. 

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out on my own just after 07h00. Did see a couple of groups coming from Adderley side, none that passed me from behind. 

It picked up a lot around 8h00 when the rest of Durbanville woke up

Went out at 7. Lots of people out there.

One section near some complexes there were queues of people walking. Almost looked like a club.

Plenty cyclists too. Also a large number of non cyclists on bikes.

When I got back I took the family for a walk around the ‘hood. Never seen the ‘hood so busy with people walking. Was nice to see.

It picked up a lot around 8h00 when the rest of Durbanville woke up

Picked up big time. I saw one family leaving their house at 08:50 while I was on my way back home haha.

First ride outside today, for me too. I rode with a friend, mostly for the “safety in numbers” bit and not the social aspect - even though having someone to talk to was a nice to have.

We caught, and passed, two fellow club members, who were riding on the same stretch of road at the time. We also passed a lot of other people who own bicycles, as well as walkers and a few runners. Only one couple didn’t have a mask.

Starting early is not a problem for me, as I have the appropriate gear, including lights, winter riding gear and more, so the first hour is relatively quiet. I suspect as it stays darker for longer, and possibly colder, there will be lesser numbers on the roads.

Tomorrow I plan to run at 07:00, then take my kids for a walk before 09:00. I can’t complain about the limited time to exercise, or having the gear to be able to ride indoors and out.

nice try .... :whistling: ^_^

THIS is my normal winter commute, 5:30 depart from home. Did not get ONE cold\flu from the commute since 2017. :thumbup: :clap:

Layer up with TWO layers of "plastic" tops over your normal top. It takes maybe 500m to build up core temp, and then you regulate your body temp by playing around with the zips on these two tops .... And the buff helps to keep your ears from freezing off.

PS - the current 7 degrees is actually still very nice. July \ August it gets properly crispy out there in the early morning.

PPS - Last year we did the Patatfees ride in Ashton ... was barely above zero when we enrolled. FLIPPEN cold for the first section of the ride. Yet nobody complained about the time nor the temperature .... :thumbup:

guess we just dont like to be told when we may and when we may not do stuff ... :devil:

You're missing the point. Firstly I commute to work all year so have the gear but on my way to work I can also take layers off as I get hot. I ride plenty with my backpack, I don't really want to do it for a 'fun ride'.

This 6-9 slot is the issue. It wasn't at all thought out by our obese politicians who don't really care if you or I can ride.

Also, because of their lack of thought they didn't even consider that it may be light and bright in JHB and KZN at 6:30 whereas it only brightens up in CPT at 7:30, further condensing the workout window and people WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY ARE NOW COMPLAINING ABOUT!

So who else is staring at the 5km radius screen .... plotting their next ride ....  :w00t:   :whistling:   I know the roads to and from the trails WELL .... using this opportunity to be a roadie, and to see what other roads are nice in our area ....

What programs do you use to actually plot your route on a map, and possibly check distances etc ?

I do have a Garmin 520, but have never bothered to pre-plan or load any routes onto it.

...... I'm more likely to catch pneumonia than corona with on these cold mornings.

I was replying to your statement above ....

as for the rest, in your second post ..... I hear you, and agree with most .... once again, GLAD I dont have to make these calls.  Let's not forget how crowded all public areas got the days before the lock down .... 

So who else is staring at the 5km radius screen .... plotting their next ride .... :w00t: :whistling: I know the roads to and from the trails WELL .... using this opportunity to be a roadie, and to see what other roads are nice in our area ....

What programs do you use to actually plot your route on a map, and possibly check distances etc ?

I do have a Garmin 520, but have never bothered to pre-plan or load any routes onto it.

I did that Thursday night, I used MapMyRide to plan the route. Printed the area map then just made sure I stayed within that.

Exported the GPX true when I was finished, copied to the NewFiles directory on the Garmin. When I restart the Garmin I find it in saved courses ...ed237ad005b1a49ff1cc2506eb648c31.jpg7a91605930c62ba3c2a857079c96be82.jpg

So who else is staring at the 5km radius screen .... plotting their next ride ....  :w00t:   :whistling:   I know the roads to and from the trails WELL .... using this opportunity to be a roadie, and to see what other roads are nice in our area ....

You can use your Garmin Connect account to plot a Course, either manually or Garmin can do it for you. Look for Training then courses and add a new course...there are a number of filters you can apply to allow Garmin to look for a ride for you. Then upload to device and follow on your device.

Edited by capediver

You can use your Garmin Connect account to plot a Course, either manually or Garmin can do it for you. Look for Training then courses and add a new course...there are a number of filters you can apply to allow Garmin to look for a ride for you. Then upload to device and follow on your device.

Thanks, want to plot something different in the next few days. Will definitely try this option as well ....

I did that Thursday night, I used MapMyRide to plan the route. Printed the area map then just made sure I stayed within that.

Exported the GPX true when I was finished, copied to the NewFiles directory on the Garmin. When I restart the Garmin I find it in saved courses ...

Love this site (mapmyrun though :ph34r: ) I'm always playing on it

Thanks. Some nice ideas.

... will have to check up how to keep the back light on .... first hour of the ride is way too dark to read the screen ....

Thanks, want to plot something different in the next few days. Will definitely try this option as well ....

Excellent, can’t wait to copy it ????????

So who else is staring at the 5km radius screen .... plotting their next ride .... :w00t: :whistling: I know the roads to and from the trails WELL .... using this opportunity to be a roadie, and to see what other roads are nice in our area ....

I have this issue with my fenix 3. Can I plot a route and follow it from my watch?