Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out early for a 90 minute ride on the SS and then met up with my daughter and we did 20km together.

Her first ride since she outgrew her 24" bike 12 years ago and one that will live among the favourites in my memory bank....

Nice one

I did 51km in 2 hours today, all gravel, no free miles, no tough ones - all on my mates 3.5km farm road - not as dull as I thought it would be and I would have pushed on but ran out of water so close to home that I just rode home and jumped in the pool

Opened my first bottle of Covid19 IPA from a brewing kit I got 2 Xmas’ ago - genuinely good

I did 51km in 2 hours today, all gravel, no free miles, no tough ones - all on my mates 3.5km farm road - not as dull as I thought it would be and I would have pushed on but ran out of water so close to home that I just rode home and jumped in the pool

Opened my first bottle of Covid19 IPA from a brewing kit I got 2 Xmas’ ago - genuinely good

beer and cycling....thats a perfect combo...

Fair play, that is a good hit out. Well done, beers earned. 

Shoutout to AndrewSteer and his team at Anatomic.

Did an intense 5km with a buff and two days later did a 10k(same high intensity) with the Anatomic mask.

Night and Day between the two.

The buff got saturated after about 15mins, at which point you need to start thinking about how you breath.

Whereas, with the mask, had no issue at all even after 1 hour.

We got some handmade masks from my mother last night, it is then that you appreciate the amount of effort that went into the mask design by the team at Anatomic, it is really difficult to create a well-fitting mask.

Get yourself a set, you wont be disappointed

snip

The buff got saturated after about 15mins, at which point you need to start thinking about how you breath.

snip

pneumonia...also pneumonia.  

50km ... up and down again then round and about and then back up and then here and there and back again.

Dropping my buff from time to time when it started to feel like i was being waterboarded. Giving every muppet a wide berth and a skeefie if it doesnt have a mask on.

So bloody tedious.

snip

i get so bored i forget what loop i already did...you can do only so many laps around Rondebosch Commons...

The green belts are fine like 6am...but it gets even more tedious when you have to navigate walkers and dogs 3/4/5 abreast...in both the cycle lane and sidewalk. And they get annoyed when you hit them with a bell or 1000 lumens  :huh:  ^_^

I seriously envy the people able to hit the open roads in the northern suburbs. Even though the road network is huge when you live in town...the logistics that go with it make it VERY tedious navigating everyone and everything within 5km and still feel like you are having fun.

Are people riding to milnerton's side from obz in early mornings?? or even CBD (recreationally i mean).

I see you can just about squeeze in up to Lagoon beach Milnerton or Bree street in Town within the 5km radius from OBZ/Woodstock. But then theres the question of that woodstock cycle lane again...or just using the hi-way in the dark, or albert/strand/victoria and risk getting jumped under the n2. (is the military roadblock still in strand at the n2?)

Thought ill check for a group going that side this morning but I literally passed 2 bicycles...and both were commuters. 

anyway...off to go p1ss of some cyclists on the green belt with my dogs  :ph34r: 

Did an intense 5km with a buff and two days later did a 10k(same high intensity) with the Anatomic mask.

We got some handmade masks from my mother last night, it is then that you appreciate the amount of effort that went into the mask design by the team at Anatomic, it is really difficult to create a well-fitting mask.

They are an amazing company.

You need to remember to breathe and not hold your breath.

I have to heartily agree. I am wearing mine at work as well and it is comfy for long periods of time as well. 

I have noticed a progressive cramp sensation on my larynx over the last week. I am sure it has to do with the strain of breathing through a buff. My chest also feels miffed at me, so I skipped on riding yesterday and today, and will see how it feels tomorrow. At my age I need to start thinking if a hard effort is worth the risk of a possible coronary event induced by laboured breathing.

It sounds like the Anatomic mask is the way to go, as I am not convinced by buff breathing. When going uphill with the buff on, my HR sometimes peaks at about 185 bpm, this after having a tough time of it to get to 170 bpm with no buff prior to the lockdown debacle.

It's either the buff, or I'm seriously unfit, which I doubt.

where do you find those anatomic masks ? Tired of choking in my buff everytime I go out for high intensity cycles or runs...

I have noticed a progressive cramp sensation on my larynx over the last week. I am sure it has to do with the strain of breathing through a buff. My chest also feels miffed at me, so I skipped on riding yesterday and today, and will see how it feels tomorrow. At my age I need to start thinking if a hard effort is worth the risk of a possible coronary event induced by laboured breathing.

It sounds like the Anatomic mask is the way to go, as I am not convinced by buff breathing. When going uphill with the buff on, my HR sometimes peaks at about 185 bpm, this after having a tough time of it to get to 170 bpm with no buff prior to the lockdown debacle.

It's either the buff, or I'm seriously unfit, which I doubt.

https://weardirect.co.za/face-masks/

Specifically, the Premium mask is the one I used.