Lockdown lessons

hansolo

I don't get this whole 'I'm a man so I don't know how to shop/wash/iron/etc' vibe. I mean WTF? It's okes like you that give males the k@k reputation we have. Grow up and do your share.

I'll tell you a little secret: I own a sewing machine. Not only that, I am good enough at it that my mother in law (career woman) comes to me if she wants a seam put in for a dress or a pair of pants. True story.

My mom gave my wife a sewing machine many years ago. She can't sew to save her life (I can't cook so save my life, except braai) so I learnt how to use it myself. I always took the machine to the same shop for a service every couple of years and they knew me well. Then they closed and I had to go to a new place. I told them what I wanted and asked that if they find anything major that needs repair or replacement, to first phone me and quote. The shop woman asked for my wifes contact number so they can communicate directly with her. I said, no, it is MY sewing machine, phone ME. She still looked doubtful, so I whipped out my phone and showed her the picture of a pair of pants I altered for my mother in law! (Asking if she was happy with the width of the turn-up.) We all had a good laugh, and I'm sure they went home and told their husbands about the weird guy that came into the shop that day, but ever since they know me by name, and don't try to deal with my wife!

That's about the extent of my feminine side!

Edited by DJR

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At school I signed up for Home Economics because the smells of baking and delicious cooking that wafted down from the home ec room were so tempting and so much nicer than what emanated from the boarding house kitchen.

Of course the first thing that happened was we started sewing and I made the worst butcher's apron ever seen. Mrs Wilkinson just shook her head.

I'll tell you a little secret: I own a sewing machine. Not only that, I am good enough at it that my mother in law (career woman) comes to me if she wants a seam put in for a dress or a pair of pants. True story.

My mom gave my wife a sewing machine many years ago. She can't sew to save her life (I can't cook so save my life, except braai) so I learnt how to use it myself. I always took the machine to the same shop for a service every couple of years and they knew me well. Then they closed and I had to go to a new place. I told them what I wanted and asked that if they find anything major that needs repair or replacement, to first phone me and quote. The shop woman asked for my wifes contact number so they can communicate directly with her. I said, no, it is MY sewing machine, phone ME. She still looked doubtful, so I whipped out my phone and showed her the picture of a pair of pants I altered for my mother in law! (Asking if she was happy with the width of the turn-up.) We all had a good laugh, and I'm sure they went home and told their husbands about the weird guy that came into the shop that day, but ever since they know me by name, and don't try to deal with my wife!

At school I signed up for Home Economics because the smells of baking and delicious cooking that wafted down from the home ec room were so tempting and so much nicer than what emanated from the boarding house kitchen.

Of course the first thing that happened was we started sewing and I made the worst butcher's apron ever seen. Mrs Wilkinson just shook her head.

I just shadowed my mother and father. My father on the coals, my mother at the stove. 

Was also a scout, so many different things were done to get the badges. Also had a mother who told me to "fix it your damn self" after a few too many ripped clothes  :w00t:

I just shadowed my mother and father. My father on the coals, my mother at the stove. 

Was also a scout, so many different things were done to get the badges. Also had a mother who told me to "fix it your damn self" after a few too many ripped clothes  :w00t:

As a 10 year old my dad taught me to shoot. By 12 I was traipsing all over the farm with a .22 rifle and a box of shorts. By 13 I could drive the bakkie and tractors. My dad trained me in the value of doing something right the first time. My mom did not teach me much with regards to cooking and so on, I taught myself after I left home at 21. 

Take your sewing machine to Bernina above ABSA, just above Tygervalley shopping centre.

They are used to men buying sewing machines, attending their training sessions, etc ...

I could not buy what I wanted for our 4x4, so got a new sewing machine from them.  VERY handy to be able to make custom items ....

On the topic of home economics and lessons from lockdown ... there's a reason bakers don't wear black shirts. #nastysplitflourpacketaccident

I will admit to having 2 different stitch pattern overlockers and a sewing machine, pattern making tools, paper and books, a cupboard full of cardboard 'basics' and make heaps of my own clothes and those for baby and my missus....

Robbie, I like your approach. I also won't accept the wife's rants... I clap and ask baba if mom deserves an Oscar....... 

I will admit to having 2 different stitch pattern overlockers and a sewing machine, pattern making tools, paper and books, a cupboard full of cardboard 'basics' and make heaps of my own clothes and those for baby and my missus....

Robbie, I like your approach. I also won't accept the wife's rants... I clap and ask baba if mom deserves an Oscar.......

Dont use them much. But the industrial machines at work wil stitch through almost anyting. If I then use my mom's pfaff . . Its like climbing of a kenevo onto a roadbike.

Lol

I don't know why everyone insists on using a a new clean plate/mug/glass.. just rinse the damn thing after you make a sarmie/have a cup/glass..

You'd think my house is a school hostel with the amount of dishes.. we are only 4..how is it possible [emoji2368]

All I seem to do all day is pack the dishwaser

I wore the same 3 sets of browns through my two years , 6 camps and monthly parades at my home unit. And the same boots

Never grew , gained or lost weight in those 8 years. I only weigh 4 kgs more now  40 years later

Yeah, I am talking about one "set", worn continuously, no washing. I am withing 4kg of my "Army" weight, lighter, also 40 years. Heaviest I have even been was after finishing one Sani; all that food!

I do the cooking at home and ironing if necessary.  We work from home so it’s usually only school clothes I have to iron.

I am about to have a longer than lockdown period to brush up on my sewing.  I have a few industrial machines in my factory and pretty sure they won’t be needed anymore.

Take your sewing machine to Bernina above ABSA, just above Tygervalley shopping centre.

They are used to men buying sewing machines, attending their training sessions, etc ...

I could not buy what I wanted for our 4x4, so got a new sewing machine from them.  VERY handy to be able to make custom items ....

Bought some canvas too and sewed my own seat and wheel covers a while back ... then proceeded onto some over-pants for the bike  :D .... a bike cover, gators etc. 

I regularly sew when I have the opportunity .. .. gilets, curtains, bags ..  :D  .  love it  :ph34r: 

I do the cooking at home and ironing if necessary.  We work from home so it’s usually only school clothes I have to iron.

I am about to have a longer than lockdown period to brush up on my sewing.  I have a few industrial machines in my factory and pretty sure they won’t be needed anymore.

One of the mistakes I made was years ago when all the shoe factories closed down in Salt River, and their industrial machines came on auction, I was too slow and never managed to buy one. They literally sold really expensive machines for a few hundred bucks, and I missed out  You snooze you lose. :(

One of the mistakes I made was years ago when all the shoe factories closed down in Salt River, and their industrial machines came on auction, I was too slow and never managed to buy one. They literally sold really expensive machines for a few hundred bucks, and I missed out  You snooze you lose. :(

there are so many available so cheap - when a machine breaks these days, we don't fix, we scrap and buy a working one, way cheaper than servicing