Cogent Industries, Resolved. Thank you

Enduro newbie

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard good things about them. My brother in law sent his DVO fork there and got it back within 4 days, perfect, no hassle.

Definitely worth looking into that for my next service.

The real reason your brother in law is happy, is because he rides DVO Suspension

#MissMyDVO #OneDayIWillHaveOneAgain #OTT4TheWin #GreenForksAreFaster

In our industry, I have learned NOT to do any favours, offer anything off 'the menu' or make solutions that are outside of our scope of work.

For a few reasons;

1. Often it is fruitless work, with no income attached to it.

2. As it is outside of the normal daily scope and subconsciously seen as a 'favour' it is not openly prioritised nor is it seen as a daily task, so if things get manic it is often accidentally overlooked.

3. As a client, if you are offered something, you expect it to be a priority and it should be. 

It's a bit of a cycle, but in the end, this sort of 'help' seldom ends up the way it was intended.

Lack of communication is no good though. I get that things are busy and hectic, but a quick email or call goes a long way, from both parties.

Sometimes the client taking the step to be the bigger party also helps in the service provider realising he has neglected something and lights a fire.

I'm sorry your experience was bad. That sucks.

Hopefully Cogent can learn from this. It seems a pity when the best intentions land up biting you in the bottom

In our industry, I have learned NOT to do any favours, offer anything off 'the menu' or make solutions that are outside of our scope of work.

For a few reasons;

1. Often it is fruitless work, with no income attached to it.

2. As it is outside of the normal daily scope and subconsciously seen as a 'favour' it is not openly prioritised nor is it seen as a daily task, so if things get manic it is often accidentally overlooked.

3. As a client, if you are offered something, you expect it to be a priority and it should be. 

It's a bit of a cycle, but in the end, this sort of 'help' seldom ends up the way it was intended.

Lack of communication is no good though. I get that things are busy and hectic, but a quick email or call goes a long way, from both parties.

Sometimes the client taking the step to be the bigger party also helps in the service provider realising he has neglected something and lights a fire.

I'm sorry your experience was bad. That sucks.

Hopefully Cogent can learn from this. It seems a pity when the best intentions land up biting you in the bottom

1000% No good deed goes unpunished.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Communication can scupper any service/business. No matter how good the work is.

Also to be fair it's often not intentionally rude as people get caught up in the job itself or various pressure points from management etc.
On top of that I've noticed in general just how bad communication is in every day life and business across various industries, for whatever reason. But the 'ghosting' thing truly annoys the crap out of me, it's downright disrespectful and unprofessional in the extreme.

Anyway, in Cogents case it seems to be comms issue more than anything.
Having dealt with them both in the industry side and as a consumer, on balance I've found them to be pretty consistent and their standard of work above average. 
RBC have referred stuff them on occasion.

Shame that it had to come down to this for the OP. Depending on what yourself and Cogent agree on, maybe it's not a bad idea to at least have a spare shock on hand, through all of this?

So great, I get some feedback. Now you do know I had to buy a new shock because there was no communication from your side? So now you going to slap me with a price and I am going to look like a d@@s if I don’t pay?

Also the shaft takes a close to a month, suddenly it arrives on Friday, its not up to speck and you getting a new one made and anodized by end of the week? Hmmmmm, you told me 2 weeks give or take.

I just find it strange that I didn’t receive anything for close to a month, then after having to post it publicly, the shaft arrived on Friday, which you didn’t send me a mail to let me know.

Also, still no email or any communication concerning this.

Don't mean to be "Die Droll in die Drinkwater" here ... but no one forced you to buy a new shock while your current one was under repair.

Did you have a big event or holiday planned where your bike would have been essential?

If not, you would just have not ridden your bike...that is all.

Good coms from the dealer though would have certainly reduced your frustration levels by a good percentage.

This is a bit off topic, by communication is very important.

Last year I had a crash in the CTCT. Only damage was a smashed sti lever.

I contacted 3 bike shops for prices (all of the owners know me personally). At the one shop a new guy that did not know me, answered the phone and at the other two I spoke to the guys that know me.

The new guy phoned back in 30 min with a price, but I am yet to get a price from the other two. Needless to say, I went with the guy that phoned back in 30 min.

Most of my cycling friends complain about poor communication from bike shops.

Ok. So I got a call from Jarqeus at Cogent.

We came to an agreement which I am very happy with. He was super apologetic and after talking to him I can see where the problem came in and he does admit he could have updated me sooner or just kept me in the loop.

Apologies accepted from my side. Given the agreement we reached there isn’t any bad blood and I’ll give them a try again in the future.

Thank you for sorting this out Cogent Industries.

Close the thread.

But not before more cycling industry communication bashing:

The reality is that not everyone is 100% up to date on their customer communication strategy. (Doing this effectively is almost a full time job)

Bicycle shops seem to be severely lacking in this department tho.

There are numerous industries where it's the same. I had a supplier the other day, who had most excellent comms, but their Quality was crap, and in the end they got chased off site, and the client got their deposit back.

The real problem here is not Cogent, but the uber rubbish RS shock that cracked its damper shaft. My Monarch did exactly the same thing. A manufacturing defect they seem to repeat with many of their shocks if this story and others I have heard/seen are to be believed. I am on a different brand now and will never trust another RS rear shock. 

Close the thread.

But not before more cycling industry communication bashing:

The reality is that not everyone is 100% up to date on their customer communication strategy. (Doing this effectively is almost a full time job)

Bicycle shops seem to be severely lacking in this department tho.

There are numerous industries where it's the same. I had a supplier the other day, who had most excellent comms, but their Quality was crap, and in the end they got chased off site, and the client got their deposit back.

Yah, you need both, good quality & service.  One without the other is no good ...

What all the keyboard warriors don't understand is that the guys doing the work are on their feet all day long with they hands holding tools and not a mouse. 

I have more respect for a person that swing a spanner than those who push a mouse. 

Understand that the quality of the work comes first and then the communication. Yes, communication is important but would you prefer they sit online all day long or reply to every whatsapp and email you send. 

Put yourself in the shoes of the people doing the work instead of bashing them online in a vain hope of getting a faster resolution to your problem.