Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

3 minutes ago, TIB said:

If I assume he is one of your EA mates, he came unprepared with fingerless gloves and just a couple of layers.... 

But then I think he is an alien 😜😎

hahahahaha apparently there was some jacket swapping within the team as only one of them arrived with suitable kit. Shocking behaviour

A few years ago we were freezing making our way through the koue bokkeveld at about 2am in sub zero temps when we stopped to have some food. He whipped out his space blanket and all the silver lining had flaked off and he was wrapped up in a giant see through sandwich bag!

Good times.... But also a good reminder to check your kit and make sure what you have packed still works

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Don't underestimate the very simple power of neoprene.

Gloves and booties. You're not going to stay dry, but neoprene will at least keep you warm.

Seal skin socks are also tip top. I have the long knee high ones. Again, tucked into proper fleece lined leg warmers they do a fantastic job. 

Neoprene also blocks the wind pretty well. 

Fleece is also really good as it's so fake it doesn't stay wet and even when wet, it stays warm. 

Old school stripey polypropylene thermal tops are also a win. 

I think there is a misconception that cycling clothes will do a job at an endurance race. MOST cycling clothes are not made to provide warmth or protection from extreme conditions. They are mostly made super light and expect cyclists to simply not ride when the weather is terrible.

Coming from an endurance racing background, I have learned that cycling clothes are actually pretty rubbish for anything other than riding for a few hours. Spending up to 9 days on course sometimes, I have no time to be cold, even if it's raining, cold, snowing etc... Sometimes it's all of those and we are white water rafting or paddling.

I have a Mac in a Sac, an old Inov8 waterproof skin and a First Ascent running jacket. All waterproof with taped seems and a hood. The Mac in a sac and FA jackets have full length zips which makes them more cycling friendly. Salomon are having a sale currently and their water proof jacket is also really really good. 

So while it may come across as a bit dick, I do believe Scar was right when he told us to be prepared. 

One of my best mates rode and said that km 20 to 50 were terrible, but after that it was less terrible. 

Before I bought long fingered cycling gloves I used to use my old water ski gloves, worked a treat. I just dont know where they disappeared to.

Well done to all who rode.

Lots of talk about the right clothing, but there is also a rather large element of mental toughness that needs to be considered. Once the mind gets to a point of saying "no can do" the body follows very quickly. Its also a fine line between just pushing through teh comfort zone and heading down hill into a medically unsafe state, making the call to pull the plug cant be easy.

1 hour ago, hboli4 said:

I have done the last 11 editions and did a couple of 'doubles' - so 13 in total. This was definitely the 'worst' conditions I've ridden in. It was wet and cold from the start - we did toe covers/booties over the shoes, knee warmers, bibs, base layer(First Ascent polyprop), cycling jersey, gilet, warmer fleece top/hydrophobic top, rain jacket, buff around neck and head, warm gloves. In retrospect could have done more for the feet and hands.

We started just before six and rode in the rain and against a slight head wind until 46km when I realised I had a front flat. By this point my tyre was almost on the rim, I simply did not notice through all the rain,mud and bumps and must have lost a lot of sealant by then - I also suspect that the sealant was not as efficient in these conditions as in the dry. As soon as we stopped we started to feel very cold - it was all good and well while cycling but as soon as you stopped the cold really got into your bones.

I had a cut on the tyre surface between the knobblies. It must have been glass or metal - bad luck. I plugged the cut and bombed it(the bomb froze to my hand and had to be pried off). We did a couple of km's and had to stop again for another bomb(this time it felt like the whole bomb contents did not go into the tyre - possibly due to the first bomb 'freezing' some sealant?).

I said to my partner that we must limp to the checkpoint and should be able to get some mechanical assistance or then try a tube. When we got there it was chaos, probably 150 riders standing around in space blankets and around the fires - they were not going to continue. People were standing inside the house as well.

The mechanic that was supposed to be there wasn't, they were helping getting people back to Willowmore. We got the tyre off and I inserted the tube. I don't know if the cold contracted the tyre a bit but we could not get it back on. I broke 2 tyre levers trying to get it on but no luck - it wasnt even close to getting back. We were four guys trying pulling and whatever but it would not budge.

I asked a couple of the riders with the same type of wheel if they would perhaps donate in order for us to continue but did not have any takers(don't blame anyone). By this point we were also shivering and I did not see any other option or plan but to withdraw.

Lots of people was in a very bad state - with most looking to have dressed properly.

This is just my observation. You were fine while moving but as soon as you stopped for too long the trouble started...

I'm still battling to get my head around the fact that I did not finish....

That sucks.  So sorry that you did not get the opportunity to try the rest of the ride ....

Edited by ChrisF

Reading all the above I accept the fact that I/we were not properly dressed for the conditions. 4 layers of cycling kit(windproof) was wet within about 30km. At CP1 Veros we were so cold we could hardly talk. We kept going until Bergplaas then pulled out at the bottom at the gate 152km in, fortunately we had a farmer friend fetch us and take us to Pakhuis.

I must add IMO we were fit/strong enough for the distance but shivering for 10+ hours drained my energy and broke me.

Well done to all who finished.

12 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

That sucks.  So sorry that you did not get the opportunity to try the rest of the ride ....

Thanks Chris, would have loved to continue and keep the 'streak' going but it was obviously not meant to be. I've replayed everything in my mind and can't see what I could have done differently...

I guess I was due some issues, have not had a single issue in the 13 or so years doing loads of events and rides.

I'm actually toying with the idea of riding this weekend to scratch the itch but that means another R8k at least.

On 8/13/2022 at 3:38 PM, DieselnDust said:

Apparently Around the pot attracts a more hardy type of mountain biker….

Or it was hors d'oeuvres for the big show. 

23 hours ago, MORNE said:

it’s almost 2023. I swear people must still make Vernon Koekemoer jokes.

Calling people ‘Karen’ is such a tired, lazy and passive aggressive insult. It’s almost like a new type of ‘race card’ i swear 😅

Have an opinion, polarising or not.
Some people will agree, others wont. And thats perfectly fine.

🤘

My neighbor is called Karen. She smashes the stereotype. 

16 hours ago, tubed said:

Time to have mandatory kit inspection in bike races as they do with trail running. 

Trail runners know that kit is the difference between calling WSAR and a bad night on the mountain. 

Like Shebeen said, MTBers have stopped being self sufficient. And it's time we learn that again. 

That reminds me, I need to get a few space blankets and DWR spray for my rain jackets. 

I had a quick look at the compulsory equipment for TBV, Hell and Back vs Ceder Race, all take you into wilderness areas where it can get rough and medical care is far away should you need it.

Ceder race had snow and frigid conditions last year - a low key race which has a good suggested kit list.

TBV/ Hell&Back could do with some stronger recommendations.

Us cyclists are an odd bunch - I see guys riding around the peninsula, sitting in coffee shops with more winter specialized kit on (neoprene overshoes, rainproof jackets, cold weather gloves etc) than someone on a commute in frozen Europe.

But say the word 'race' and it becomes about marginal gains - the kit gets dropped and only the race items are taken.  

Well done boys...sure looked like a hellish ride for sure...I would just cling wrap the **** out of everything...

Edited by LuckyLuke

21 minutes ago, tubed said:

I had a quick look at the compulsory equipment for TBV, Hell and Back vs Ceder Race, all take you into wilderness areas where it can get rough and medical care is far away should you need it.

Ceder race had snow and frigid conditions last year - a low key race which has a good suggested kit list.

TBV/ Hell&Back could do with some stronger recommendations.

Us cyclists are an odd bunch - I see guys riding around the peninsula, sitting in coffee shops with more winter specialized kit on (neoprene overshoes, rainproof jackets, cold weather gloves etc) than someone on a commute in frozen Europe.

But say the word 'race' and it becomes about marginal gains - the kit gets dropped and only the race items are taken.  

I don't agree with the marginal gains comment. For me the conditions on the day was just more extreme than what we as Saffas have to deal with on 99.99% on our rides. So I for one would not be sitting behind my keyboard with the benefit of hindsight handing out advice on how to deal with a combination of exteme cold/rain.

Luckily I wasn't riding on Saturday, I have been regularly doing races for more than 10 years and have never seen such conditions, I don't think I even own the type of cycling clothes to properly deal with weather like that because I have never needed more than a few extra layers to get trough a cold ride. 

Big respect to everyone that attempted the ride on Saturday, those who pushed through and those who had to pull out. We do this for fun anyway, no point risking your health to avoid being called a Karen.

10 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I don't agree with the marginal gains comment. For me the conditions on the day was just more extreme than what we as Saffas have to deal with on 99.99% on our rides. So I for one would not be sitting behind my keyboard with the benefit of hindsight handing out advice on how to deal with a combination of exteme cold/rain.

Luckily I wasn't riding on Saturday, I have been regularly doing races for more than 10 years and have never seen such conditions, I don't think I even own the type of cycling clothes to properly deal with weather like that because I have never needed more than a few extra layers to get trough a cold ride. 

Big respect to everyone that attempted the ride on Saturday, those who pushed through and those who had to pull out. We do this for fun anyway, no point risking your health to avoid being called a Karen.

I'm happy to do it then.

If you commit to a big event like this, it's the focus for 2/3 months.

Part of the prep is having the right gear, for the right conditions.

If (and I don't really know this for sure, but looking at the elites rolling out is telling) people did all that training, spent the time and the money to get on the startline and then didn't pack the cautious clothing on the day because "it's a race" then I don't really have that much sympathy. to finish first, first you have to finish.

It's also pretty crap for the organisers to have to now go and rescue people who didn't plan accordingly.  No one was "caught by surprise" here, as this was the general chat all week!

On 8/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, pedal menace said:

Ok - so I checked the weather report this morning for this coming Saturday. YIKES!!!! NOT GOOD!! 

Yes I know it is still a few days away and may change

Yes I know there are those that will love riding 230km in rain, icy cold weather and muddy conditions. 

Me - not so much. I have vivid, albeit VERY BAD, memories of one of my TBs where it was pouring with rain the last 50km and it was freezingly cold. I personally have ZERO intentions of repeating that. So far - rain is predicted the whole day with VERY cold temperatures. As it will be and my son - this  could likely result in having to replace of 2 x cassettes, 2 x chains, 2 x drivetrains, 4 x wheel bearings. That will be R25k+ easily. NOT WORTH IT!! 

So...although we have everything booked - we may go down and just have a few days break and skip this magnificent event. I am well aware many of you will differ from me - but it is what it is. 230km in the predicted weather is different than just a 40km - 60km ride.

2 hours ago, bullet77 said:

Reading all the above I accept the fact that I/we were not properly dressed for the conditions. 4 layers of cycling kit(windproof) was wet within about 30km. At CP1 Veros we were so cold we could hardly talk. We kept going until Bergplaas then pulled out at the bottom at the gate 152km in, fortunately we had a farmer friend fetch us and take us to Pakhuis.

I must add IMO we were fit/strong enough for the distance but shivering for 10+ hours drained my energy and broke me.

Well done to all who finished.

brilliant attitude, you put it out there suffered and will come back for more wiser and stronger (just maybe not next weekend!). Memories are made from experiences like this.

14 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

It's also pretty crap for the organisers to have to now go and rescue people who didn't plan accordingly.  No one was "caught by surprise" here, as this was the general chat all week!

I do disagree to a certain extent - (and very happy we do not resort to calling each other Karens...lol).  I have trained a lot in sub zero temperatures - and the clothing on such training days was more than sufficient for me. I generally am happy to avoid events or training rides that has the perfect storm - sub zero temps, pouring rain and sleet, howling winds. In many cases for events I write off a couple of hundred bucks by not starting. Nothing serious. But to the point so many raise - for the Baviaans you have done a boat load of training, forked out thousands for flights, accommodation, entry etc. So you will give riding a lot more consideration. BUT - given my experience (and trust me I am not making excuses - (I am quite possibly the idiot here) - I thought I had myself covered in terms of clothing. And I fell well short and with my son next to me - was just not willing to take any chances. So I think it is a bit unfair that despite expecting bad weather - saying (I or rather 244 other teams) were caught by surprise by aoll being under dressed. That is way to much generalizing here (or stereo typing) , sorry.  Many of these good people simply were not up to it but still tried! 

Edited by pedal menace

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

So I for one would not be sitting behind my keyboard with the benefit of hindsight handing out advice on how to deal with a combination of exteme cold/rain.

That's a big assumption. Sorry if I have offended you. I have tried to make constructive comments on kit choices and how the organisers can guide folk into improving their chances.

Compulsory kit lists AND checks before and during (so you dont go the marginal gains route and put the kit in the car after the check) are found in most endurance events, they are there for good reason. Ecobound could have done more to guide riders.

But like you say, 99.9% of your preparation rides didn't prepare people for conditions which do occur in SA in winter in that area and of which there was ample warning the week before. As Shebeen said it comes down largely to being unprepared.

Last word from me on this thread, something I try and keep in mind:

"its all sh*ts and giggles, until someone giggles and sh*ts"

Edited by tubed
*naughty word

Done a few TB - Pulled out at 30km. Adequately dressed apart from gloves (which were thermal and water resistant) not water proof which ended in cold and  completely numb hands 

Complete numb hands led to having to change gears with knuckles (thank goodness for AXS) and suddenly feeling the bike slowing quite a few times only to find the weight of my figures were pressing on break levers without knowing 

Something i don't see on this tread spoken about is the critical need for fueling and drinking in endurance events like this - anyone with seriously numb hands and all  the layers of cloths made it impossible to fuel properly - TB has some of the best feed station but with the lack of fueling in the first 60km people that pushed through were also caught out later 

Sigh, friend shared this with me:

https://www.netwerk24.com/netwerk24/nuus/misdaad/fietsryer-met-klip-in-gesig-geslaan-tydens-trans-baviaans-20220815

In short, rider and his wife assaulted by thugs on the singletrack. Wow! 

Also mentioned in the article, 911 starters and 522 finishers. 😳

Ecobound on the Trans’ website does give guidance on what to expect. And, all of those that had to quit due to whatever, took something out of the race somehow. Meaning, a whole lot of riders will have respect for nature and the forces of it by either not riding again in such conditions or waterproofing and layering hacks to keep dry and warm. 

Edited by peetwindhoek
spelling