E-bikes on Strava

Velosauce

Hey all,Β 

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do E-bike records belong on strava? (among normal pedaling records and people who drive their cars on roads with their garmins still onπŸ˜πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ)

I don't think so.Β 

I'm also quite concerned about the little old ladies on powerful e-bikes who have accidentally run me of off trails because they can't handle their bikes, but that's a whole different kettle of fishπŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Velosauce said:

Hey all,Β 

I'm sure this has been asked before, but do E-bike records belong on strava? (among normal pedaling records and people who drive their cars on roads with their garmins still onπŸ˜πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ)

I don't think so.Β 

I'm also quite concerned about the little old ladies on powerful e-bikes who have accidentally run me of off trails because they can't handle their bikes, but that's a whole different kettle of fishπŸ€·πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Β 

Anyone on an e-bike on strava I block. EasyΒ 

How To Block Someone On Strava? | Social Media | TechEntice

The answer is...Yes. As long as you put your ride as an E-Bike ride and not a normal bike. Too many dicks out there on e-Bikes logging their rides as normal bikes to claim normal KOM's.Β 

Blocking someone on Strava is completely different. It just blocks someone from following you on Strava.

10 hours ago, Velosauce said:

Hey all,Β 

I don't think so.Β 

Β 

So you're moaning about e-bikes on strava and old ladies driving you off the trails?

My advice: grow a pair.

Strava is an unregulated space where you can even software dope. Do some googling. Stop worrying about Strave records and the like. I have seen sites where guys win KOMs by throwing their computers over the line.So dont believe anything in Strava.

Go pedal a bike in the sun and on a nice trail. Remember why you started in the first place and when you didn't have power and strava and just some little display of time and speed and distance.

Worry about the things in life you can control....

10 hours ago, Velosauce said:

Hey all,Β 

I don't think so.Β 

Β 

I'm not sure what you use STRAVA for? I'm definitely not chasing any KOMs.

My son lives and works in South Korea. He and his lady friend cycle and run. I have a mate in Durban who cycles.Β  The guy in Durban rides an e-Bike due to having had a triple heart bypass. My wife runs and cycles as well. All 4 plus myself use STRAVA. We log our rides. We share the experiences, give kudos, comment on rides.

Now by your logic my mate in Durban shouldn't be allowed to share his experience in over coming major heart surgery. he should be excluded.

Please just accept the fact that people use bicycles and tools like STRAVA for different reasons. Yours is chasing KOMs , mine is sharing experiences. If you accept that people are different then perhaps you wouldn't have such a narrow minded view of E-Bikes and STRAVA.

As someone replied to your post above.

Grow a pair.

47 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Strava is an unregulated space where you can even software dope. Do some googling. Stop worrying about Strave records and the like. I have seen sites where guys win KOMs by throwing their computers over the line.So dont believe anything in Strava.

Go pedal a bike in the sun and on a nice trail. Remember why you started in the first place and when you didn't have power and strava and just some little display of time and speed and distance.

Worry about the things in life you can control....

THIS ^^

I don't reminisce about any Strava segments and where I placed. I am normally thinking of the awesome ride I had with mates, and of all the new things we tried on the trails, sometimes egging one another on to ride a previously feared line and conquering our own fears. Of attempting that consequence gap and making it despite pooping ourselves quietly without anyone knowing. Of riding a new trail. Of barn storming a familiar line and whooping and hollering all the way down as we find out we're faster due to improved skills gained from hours and hours of doing the same thing over and over again.

Of feeling like I last did as a teenager, when all I did was surf and ride my bike in the forest with my mates,Β  before the cares of the world took away all the joy. Strava kills that vibe.

I'm all for tossing Strava and riding for the pure enjoyment of it again.

7 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

THIS ^^

I don't reminisce about any Strava segments and where I placed. I am normally thinking of the awesome ride I had with mates, and of all the new things we tried on the trails, sometimes egging one another on to ride a previously feared line and conquering our own fears. Of attempting that consequence gap and making it despite pooping ourselves quietly without anyone knowing. Of riding a new trail. Of barn storming a familiar line and whooping and hollering all the way down as we find out we're faster due to improved skills gained from hours and hours of doing the same thing over and over again.

Of feeling like I last did as a teenager, when all I did was surf and ride my bike in the forest with my mates,Β  before the cares of the world took away all the joy. Strava kills that vibe.

I'm all for tossing Strava and riding for the pure enjoyment of it again.

I have spent a long time reading about how the social media becomes an attention sponge and how it robs you of time and enjoyment. I know its OT but Strava is like the facebook or Instagram of cycling. the hit of a PB is so addictive when we are out riding we even load Strava live segments and start racing people. All the enjoyment is gone. you are either going faster than your PB (big dopamine hit) or slower (bummed) in mid ride now.Β 

I live and work in the big/data/analytics space where AI's know more about you than you do yourself and machine learning will predict things you cant dream of.Β  I also run Strava live segments - initially it was fun, but now i am turning it all off. I love logging the data and seeing where everyone rode over the weekend plus comparing my segments and seieng what i did and working out who is improving.

BTW IN case you dont know it Strava is amongst the top 50 most invasive apps for data harvesting and sharing, it has a LOT of data about you specifically about your health etc. AI and ML can turn that in to scary predictions.

Sorry long post but you are right. Time to take all the connected features off and just ride. You can log the ride afterwards and keep a record . its always fun.Β 

But in the moment - go ride the bike in the sun, up a steep hill, listen to your heart and breathing and get in touch with yourself and kill the attention monster that has robbed you of the visceral experience of a ride when you clear a line or ace a drop off or hang with a faster bunch for the first time. All of this is actually why you do it.

Strava is a lot nastier and a lot worse than what anyone thinks TBH.

Β 

Rant off.

My idea is to have a default bike which is "E-bike" and not MTB/Road/Gravel as currently, and this would then automatically load as an E-bike activity.

I've communicated this to Strava before but with no luck yet.Β 

15 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I have spent a long time reading about how the social media becomes an attention sponge and how it robs you of time and enjoyment. I know its OT but Strava is like the facebook or Instagram of cycling. the hit of a PB is so addictive when we are out riding we even load Strava live segments and start racing people. All the enjoyment is gone. you are either going faster than your PB (big dopamine hit) or slower (bummed) in mid ride now.Β 

I live and work in the big/data/analytics space where AI's know more about you than you do yourself and machine learning will predict things you cant dream of.Β  I also run Strava live segments - initially it was fun, but now i am turning it all off. I love logging the data and seeing where everyone rode over the weekend plus comparing my segments and seieng what i did and working out who is improving.

BTW IN case you dont know it Strava is amongst the top 50 most invasive apps for data harvesting and sharing, it has a LOT of data about you specifically about your health etc. AI and ML can turn that in to scary predictions.

Sorry long post but you are right. Time to take all the connected features off and just ride. You can log the ride afterwards and keep a record . its always fun.Β 

But in the moment - go ride the bike in the sun, up a steep hill, listen to your heart and breathing and get in touch with yourself and kill the attention monster that has robbed you of the visceral experience of a ride when you clear a line or ace a drop off or hang with a faster bunch for the first time. All of this is actually why you do it.

Strava is a lot nastier and a lot worse than what anyone thinks TBH.

Β 

Rant off.

Comon dude, is the Hub not part of Social Media.....Β 

You know where e-bikes don't actually have much of an advantage? On the downhills - stop looking at the uphill segments and race the boys on the downs. It's more fun, I promise 🀫

Obviously e-bikers should be logging their rides as e-bike rides. Everyone I know on an e-bike does that. So, yes, they absolutely belong on Strava, but it their own segment.Β