Tygerberg MTB club newsletter - unacceptable

MORNE

15 minutes ago, MORNE said:

That is not the message you guys need to put out there or spread even more disdain for the club…because there unfortunately IS a strong opinion about the club. Sometimes it sucks.

Any place were we can read up? Would like to know what I'm supporting...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, 117 said:

I still see a ton of arrogance in the reply from tygerbergchap above. 

Permits aside, if you think the day warrior is busting your trails I'd hazard a guess that you can't see further than your nose. It's most likely the regulars that are cutting fast lines into the trails as they try find that all important holy grail line of speed (which I understand) 

I'm convinced it's more a rant that day visitors are slowing the regulars down, and they are complaining that the trails are getting wrecked by the slow uneducated riders - you know, that fast dude that can't wait for a safe right of passage to get past on a single trail

I see it as a crock of the proverbial from the original writer. He's welcome to DM me too. I'll buy the first milkshake

It must be the lower 10% marginal skils guys that trash the trails. Could never be the 80% that fund everyone else. 

Edited by Barry

8 hours ago, Newbie321 said:

Two wrongs don't make a right... Like with the constant warning for people who shouldn't trespass after 5 on some of the links, perhaps it's time the club takes a proactive approach and start policing/banning members instead of putting things out into the void and hoping people read through another rant

Does a PK fall under policing....??

Or is there a defined behaviour for policing? I've not read the constitution

6 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Chris, I fully agree with you and definitely think you seem like a lekker guy.

The point the guys were making is that his wording and inciting of violence isn't so cool.

Here at Tokai we get way more roosters and skidders... yet they never tell anyone to give out PK's.

The tokai locals have gotten used to the braking bumps and I honestly just see them as a trail feature and don't let myself get wound up about it, life is too short to worry about some guy with more money than skill and brains who pulls a handful of rear brake because he thinks it looks rad.

actually those braking bumps are really annoying and quite unpleasant. It's also the kind of erosion that gets the SANBI peeps curlers in a birds nest which makes it harder work for the TokaiMtb committee to do their advocacy job. I get it that its a cool riding style as promoted in vide clips with cool music accompanyment but its a real drag in the real world when people are working really hard to keep trails open let alone build new ones

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

That's a sub-clause of the section entitled Definitions: Undue Damage-how to avoid it and what happens when you cause it.

What I read  "Sorry but....."

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

You know the irony of the militant policing and agro emails about people that destroy trails is….i was at bloemendal midweek over lunch quickly and observed one of those kids skills clinics. They are little shredders, amazing skills - what else would you expect from getting trained by Pottie and co. Wish i had half their talent lol.
But they were also casing, skidding, basically doing everything mentioned in that news letter (because they were skilled little buggers that at 9-10 can all clear that huge gap jump on flow terra) and nobody said anything.

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

You know the irony of the militant policing and agro emails about people that destroy trails is….i was at bloemendal midweek over lunch quickly and observed one of those kids skills clinics. They are little shredders, amazing skills - what else would you expect from getting trained by Pottie and co. Wish i had half their talent lol.
But they were also casing, skidding, basically doing everything mentioned in that news letter (because they were skilled little buggers that at 9-10 can all clear that huge gap jump on flow terra) and nobody said anything.

But don't they use a specific area of the bike park for this practice? We use the Bike Park Uitsig for practicing skills and tail flicks and stuff like that. But when in Tokai i focus on not dragging my back around because it cause a damage to the trails

Edited by DieselnDust

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

But don't use a specific area of the bike park for this practice? We use the Bike Park Uitsig for practicing skills and tail flicks and stuff like that. But when in Tokai i focus on not dragging my back around because it cause a damage to the trails

Actually makes sense.

Keeps the ‘mess’ on the flowey manicured stuff close to trail heads. Those need constant  maintenance regardless of the fact. Where the more natural trails out in the bush need a bit more help staying nicer for longer.

10 hours ago, Eddy Gordo said:

I have just seen that ad.... "what is a PK? "express delivery from Polokwane to kakamas"

What’s a Kakamas?

11 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I'm not even reading the replies. This thread is a joke surely.

He is talking figuratively. 

Yes Seriously? A crude word in a newsletter and suddenly we start thread a thread on the hub and demand public apologies? 🤦‍♂️

Either we are now super snowflaky or there is a deeper resentment against the club and the offending word was just the excuse to let it rip.

11 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

But don't they use a specific area of the bike park for this practice? We use the Bike Park Uitsig for practicing skills and tail flicks and stuff like that. But when in Tokai i focus on not dragging my back around because it cause a damage to the trails

No. There is only the main "drag your brakes and earn a PK line" - same as every other trail on the network.

I don't care for the pretend threats of violence.

I TAKE MASSIVE EXCEPTION TO BEING TOLD WHAT TO DO WITH MY BIKE. 

Mountain biking inherently involves people of different skills riding on a trail in variable ways. I rode the Hammer again a couple times on Saturday, and I struggle to see how anyone would purposely be dragging their brakes on those massive berms. That is detrimental to riding the line as it's intended so that you properly clear the jumps. The berms need to be ridden leaned over and at speed.

If you come in too hot, then the brakes are there to prevent injury. If I'm now expected to ride slowly so as to not damage the trail, then I wonder what the point of the trail is? Is riding it to its purpose allowed, or not? If it is, then there will always be the side effect of someone grabbing a fistful of brakes every now and then.

I think that by now most every rider on the trails of Tygerberg knows not to be dwis and ride like that on purpose, and I get that it takes work and effort to fix the damage when its done, but that's the nature of the sport. If you don't like doing the work, then maybe go find another more calming job.

I ride trails all over, and there are some other trails that are in much worse condition, yet I have never been threatened with violence by the trail builders. Case in point Jonkershoek after the Enduro. I reckon Bennet Nel is going to be busy fixing most of what he did leading up to the race for quite some time. I've yet to hear him moan about it.

1 hour ago, Knersboy said:

What’s a Kakamas?

Just because I can:

The name Kakamas was originally given to a drift that was known as Takemas or T'Kakamas since 1779. The name means "place of the raging cow" – probably referring to an incident when a raging cow stormed the Korana while they were herding their cattle through this ford.

17 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Chris, I fully agree with you and definitely think you seem like a lekker guy.

The point the guys were making is that his wording and inciting of violence isn't so cool.

Here at Tokai we get way more roosters and skidders... yet they never tell anyone to give out PK's.

The tokai locals have gotten used to the braking bumps and I honestly just see them as a trail feature and don't let myself get wound up about it, life is too short to worry about some guy with more money than skill and brains who pulls a handful of rear brake because he thinks it looks rad.

Loool...no Tokai MTB doesn't complain....they just ban people from commenting on their b1tching about it if you recall DH1 rebuild for the first LH corner last time.

Builders had AMPLE opportunity to clad the corner in the multitude of rocks there...but didn't, then built the radius is such a way as to facilitate cuddying and proceeded to moan about it on SM.

Knowing Patrick he's definitely saying said line somewhat tongue in cheek...But again, if you build big flowwy corners with a k@k radius...don't expect people to not have fun.

Welcome to being a bike park, that's essentially what Hoogies is trying to be...it's either going to cost you money every year or you have two choices...Build things EXPECTING this (aka. many Canadian trails) o

We've been asking for years for slower, more tech trails with less berms...Cheaper to build, cheaper to maintain, better opportunity for up-skilling. Le sigh, the club committee as stated my ppl here and the Morondull thread recently don't give 2 poops about MTB, they're really only interested in gravel grinding so don't expect any of your requests to be taken seriously.