• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

Today from Volmoed to the Rooiberg lodge - I regularly ride 50 to 70km and a 100 is big but not a hassle - add touring bags and the brutality of the Karoo sun and all of a sudden 103km is huge

Woke up feeling pretty good but the first 5km of today’s 75 was on tar, false flat and a downhill. When I couldn’t get up to 20km on the flats I knew it was going to be ballbraking (more on that later)

I was on my bike at 5am heading to Vanwyksdorp where I’m staying at the Rooiberg lodge, proper oasis. If I rode this on a normal day it would have been 4 hours maybe a tad less

For nearly 7 hours I turned the pedals with all my might but the laden beast could barely muster a trundle - for 6 of those hours not a car, not a human just some baboons, ostrich and various buck. The plan was to stop every 10 drink, snack and take in scenery. I tried but in my last 40 there was no shade to be found

Sipping coke number 4 and waiting for both burgers I feel satisfied but that was not fun - challenging, rewarding, harshly beautiful, but not fun

post-81229-0-41258400-1611143730_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-17794700-1611143778_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-23287700-1611143832_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-99149400-1611143881_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-05010200-1611143916_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-78061700-1611144019_thumb.jpeg

There has been a little here.

Great picture. Not many ever get to see places like that under water. What a fantastic journey. Must be around 900 kilometres by my guestimate. Impressive, and more so in January. I'm sure you are now well enough heat-acclimatised to find hell comfortable......but of course, people doing a pilgrimage like yours won't end up there. :thumbup:

<snip>

Sipping coke number 4 and waiting for both burgers I feel satisfied but that was not fun - challenging, rewarding, harshly beautiful, but not fun

those days are worst, but the best at getting us through them when they invariably happen again

Pearl Valley Estate? 

R2500 is nothing. Less than a cookie cutter copy & paste estate in Centurion

Where is this?

Diemersfontein Wine & Country Estate just outside Wellington.

Quite a fair bit lower than Pearl Valley, Val de Vie etc from Paarl, but around Wellington it is in the upper margins..

Not complaining though!!

Definitely worth it for the working farm lifestyle with 24/7 Thornburn on-site Security, electrical fencing/cameras etc..

Diemersfontein Wine & Country Estate just outside Wellington.

Quite a fair bit lower than Pearl Valley, Val de Vie etc from Paarl, but around Wellington it is in the upper margins..

Not complaining though!!

Definitely worth it for the working farm lifestyle with 24/7 Thornburn on-site Security, electrical fencing/cameras etc..

Wellington has some nice trails