Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

I have an investigative mind, gummi’

Notice things, trends, patterns, naturally.

And your regular pics

Good going, man.

Consistent exercise - benefits, priceless

How you healing up?

• Replies 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

How you healing up?

Steady recovery.

Completed a 4 hour ride today with no issue.

Grateful. ????

We did a bikepacking trip around the Eastern Cape mountains in December. Nothing short of spectacular. In 5 days we saw 2 pedestrians.

That's 2 horses according to your pics  :P

Nice pictures  :thumbup:

Yes! We are everywhere.

On your left is Piet Rooi se Berg if I'm not mistaken. You'll start seeing the 205m high Khi Solar 1 tower in the distance soon just after that.. Edited by JohanDiv

No cool photos.

Did a ride with mates this morning.

Managed to knock of 1m50 off my previous best up Linksfield at the beginning of the ride.

Then on the way back we rode it again, I didn’t beat my fresh legs time from earlier in the morning but was still 30s quicker than my previous PR.

Current standing on Strava for the day has me as 4th quickest.

Oh and total elevation for the ride came on at 953m, for Jhb that’s decent over 60km

post-10771-0-13138600-1610878843_thumb.jpeg

I saw it. Will get a picture of it tomorrow when I am closer. It really looks like "the mother ship" if you didn't know what it was I wouldn't blame you for being scared.

Khi and Kaxu are sister stations.

Khi is just outside Upington, and a known landmark.  Kaxu is hidden in the flats between Kakamas and Pofadder.

Khi uses mirrors to concentrate the suns rays to a focal point at the tip of the tall tower.

At this point a brine solution is super heated.  A very large volume of this extra hot brine solution is stored at ground level.  This solution is hot enough to heat water to superheated steam, as traditionally done by means of coal or nuclear.  This steam is used to used to generate power yada yada ....

The real "trick" part of this installation - during the day enough brine is heated such that the plant can generate power 24/7 !! 

Kaxu does the same, but differently ..... mirrors are about 100m long, with a concave shape, concentrating the heat to a central point 2m above the mirror.  There are hundreds of these mirrors .....

Seriously impressive to experience the scale of these beasts when you do get the opportunity to enter these sites

The angry Orange River. Wow Upington you are really showing off at the moment.

Very impressive distances that you covered this far, That stretch from Calvinia and Upington is absolutely endless.

The angry Orange River. Wow Upington you are really showing off at the moment.

Welcome!

Impressive ride!