The deteriorating classifieds culture

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

While it is annoying, it is part and parcel of being a part of society ....

...where honour is a distant memory. 

image.png.2c9693e2123b3b3b0bb5ba0fed9cb491.png

8 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Only buy and sell from okes that have 100+ forum posts and most of your problems will go away. 

Coming from someone that sold on this platform for a living, those you speak of spend more time talking k@k and stroking their fragile egos than they do in actually buying anything

There are 2 kinds of hubbers, those that do, and those that talk

Edited by ACE Cycles
Spelling

10 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

Yes... But are those really the people you want to deal with?? Often not. 

But my point is actually that if you want a way to deal with semi-legit guys (mostly) that you can generally trust (mostly) without actually knowing anything about them, then only deal with guys with some kind of presence on the forums side. Buying and selling with these guys is like buying and selling within a community of friends (for the most part, obviously there might still be some bad apples). 

But if you want to deal with guys that are only active on the classifieds, then you're basically engaging purely with an online marketplace just like facebook marketplace or gumtree, and so you should expect the same kind of people to be trolling around there. Some decent human beings are doubtless in the mix too, but you have no way of knowing who they are, and if things go south, you probably have limited recourse with those characters. If you choose that, then I don't think you should come complain on the forums when you bump into people who treat the classifieds like facebook marketplace for bicycles.

Gent that bought my bike had to register on the Hub to be able to make contact.

Zero "Hub credit"

Nice gent, smooth deal

Heck of a lot better than some of the recent threads about "long time Hubber".

Post count alone means nothing. 

9 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Zero "Hub credit"

Nice gent, smooth deal

Years on hub, trader rating, forum post count are all things i take into consideration to put my mind at ease. If you’ve been on here for a few years, have more than 10x 5 star ratings and have an opinion you don't mind sharing…then i’ll gladly trust you in a sans bikehub pay deal. Extra brownie points if i spot reviews from known hubbers.

BhP gets expensive at higher numbers…especially if you still have to pay for shipping of bulky items too.

If not, bikehub pay, always.

Edited by MORNE

In the end it’s an online community and you can scoff at forum posters all you want. Active members who interact with each other every other day also build rapport. It all plays a role. It’s not JUST business. Then it would be gumtree.

I learnt something in 2014 already from my bussiness coach. You. Want the guys money no to be his friend when I leave an a hole clients house, I just need to forget about him as long as I got my money. Some people just want to have a few minutes of being king. Because they have never had it. And I can tell you it's not easy to work with people. But like some have said, if you want to sell stuff your going to ha to take the good with the bad. With customers aka consumers it's always a Gamble. Get over it or have a heart attack. Choice is yours

18 hours ago, MORNE said:

Ugh, im planning a big purge again too and won’t lie, not looking forward to dealing with these types. But it is what it is.

Following

8 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

Coming from someone that sold on this platform for a living, those you speak of spend more time talking k@k and stroking their fragile egos than they do in actually buying anything

There are 2 kinds of hubbers, those that do, and those that talk

Hopefully both types ride their bikes too.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Zero "Hub credit"

Nice gent, smooth deal

That cannot be true. We all know this has some bearing on the legitimacy of the buyer/seller. 

Let's be honest being an 'upstanding member' counts less and less as time goes on

I've certainly been lucky, only had one classifieds experience that left a bad taste in all these years. Have had great buying and selling experiences from both newish and old members. People, the older I get the less I'm surprised by how low they will go!

If it wasn't for the classifieds, then this would merely be a chat room frequented by a few. The current format pulls many people in with classifieds and then some stay to learn there is a plethora of knowledge and contacts, etc. here. Take the good with the bad I reckon.