The deteriorating classifieds culture

5 hours ago, Meezo said:

Haha, funny I'm advertising my emduro bike despite my ad saying i will not entertain your offer bikemarket

Bikemarket messages me. Idiots!!!

But yes, had a few send me pictures plan meet ups accept offers... then ghost! I'm not losing sleep over it

Am actually wondering if @Matt can't either engage or block. Because we all know where t find them, if we want a crap offer surely we;'' call? We buy cars dont randomly call sellers? 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic this. 

Some of my experiences:

So many items are way too highly priced. If you going to overprice your stuff then be prepared for offers less than what you advertised for. 

Also people tend to not understand what brand new means. You can’t say something has been used twice and then call it brand new. If you use it it’s not brand new. 

Lastly, you can’t advertise something at almost the exact same price I can buy it in a bike shop for. Why would I buy something on the hub for the same price as I can buy it in a bike shop? 

When the price is fair, I find the transaction goes smoothly. There should always be some room for negotiation in a marketplace but generally, when the price is right it goes swiftly. It’s when the price is poor and you offer what you feel is a fair price, you just get ignored. It doesn’t really bother me tbh. At the end of the day, I will offer what I feel is fair. If you wanna ignore that then fair enough. I’ve seen some items still on the market after 6 months with no price reduction. 

31 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Am actually wondering if @Matt can't either engage or block. Because we all know where t find them, if we want a crap offer surely we;'' call? We buy cars dont randomly call sellers? 

Just don't reply?

Matt isn't our dad who needs to protect us.

I honestly don't understand why people get so butthurt by lowballers and people who don't follow through or answer.

Water, ducks back etc... 

So much unnecessary butthurtedness

1 minute ago, cadenceblur said:

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Empower yourself by understanding that they don't care so neither should you. 

Evil... hahahaha 

Evolve, expect less. You'll be better off for it. 

If it's that common and still affecting you and your day, you need to move on as almost everyone else evidently has

Self empowerment is rad. You can choose not to have an emotional response to things that don't matter. But by willingly partaking in the free market, you will 100% deal with lowballers, ignorers and people who text in half sentences and don't introduce themselves. It is as inevitable as needing to poo 

1 hour ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I'll save you all the effort and even come and collect everything at no cost to you. I know I'm just such a good person 😂

Ek woon nader as jy.  So gaaf ek sal jou die petrol spaar ... 😉

3 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

True . But what about an honest newbie ? How does he get somewhere if no one deals with him ?

He just gets involved in the forums for a week, gets in a fight on a Friday, and then has 100+ posts. 

9 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Empower yourself by understanding that they don't care so neither should you. 

Evil... hahahaha 

Evolve, expect less. You'll be better off for it. 

If it's that common and still affecting you and your day, you need to move on as almost everyone else evidently has

Self empowerment is rad. You can choose not to have an emotional response to things that don't matter. But by willingly partaking in the free market, you will 100% deal with lowballers, ignorers and people who text in half sentences and don't introduce themselves. It is as inevitable as needing to poo 

As was correctly pointed out above. 
no need to tolerate those with no basic manners or common decency -  but as in all things - to each his own . 

26 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Just don't reply?

Matt isn't our dad who needs to protect us.

I honestly don't understand why people get so butthurt by lowballers and people who don't follow through or answer.

Water, ducks back etc... 

So much unnecessary butthurtedness

Nah it’s annoying. Really really annoying. Sure everyone who’s put up something for sale is bombarded by their bot offers and would like them gone. 

Butthurtedness:

Derived from the word butthurt, a way to describe a situation.

What's one word you would use to describe 2017?
Eg: "Full of butthurtedness". 

image.gif.7e05ea0b3c3303b705e056382f8b7d50.gif
trying to connect this to Bikemarket, am lost 

1 minute ago, cadenceblur said:

As was correctly pointed out above. 
no need to tolerate those with no basic manners or common decency -  but as in all things - to each his own

Exactly

That needs to work both ways. It can't be 'To each their own' as long as it's how I expect it.

2 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Nah it’s annoying. Really really annoying. Sure everyone who’s put up something for sale is bombarded by their bot offers and would like them gone. 

Butthurtedness:

Derived from the word butthurt, a way to describe a situation.

What's one word you would use to describe 2017?
Eg: "Full of butthurtedness". 

trying to connect this to Bikemarket, am lost 

People being offended when random unknown buyers or sellers from walk of life unknown don't treat them with the respect and decorum they feel they deserve - Butthurt - the act of being butthurt - Buthurtedness

Just now, Jewbacca said:

Exactly

That needs to work both ways. It can't be 'To each their own' as long as it's how I expect it.

People being offended when random unknown buyers or sellers from walk of life unknown don't treat them with the respect and decorum they feel they deserve - Butthurt - the act of being butthurt - Buthurtedness

Err…ok. 
image.gif.bb698e33e44ffa86820f1c3c07852200.gif

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

And many sellers have zero interest in the forum side

Yes... But are those really the people you want to deal with?? Often not. 

But my point is actually that if you want a way to deal with semi-legit guys (mostly) that you can generally trust (mostly) without actually knowing anything about them, then only deal with guys with some kind of presence on the forums side. Buying and selling with these guys is like buying and selling within a community of friends (for the most part, obviously there might still be some bad apples). 

But if you want to deal with guys that are only active on the classifieds, then you're basically engaging purely with an online marketplace just like facebook marketplace or gumtree, and so you should expect the same kind of people to be trolling around there. Some decent human beings are doubtless in the mix too, but you have no way of knowing who they are, and if things go south, you probably have limited recourse with those characters. If you choose that, then I don't think you should come complain on the forums when you bump into people who treat the classifieds like facebook marketplace for bicycles.

What would really make the classifieds next level amazing would be if you could select an option in your profile to only sell to guys with a certain number of forum posts, and only buy from guys with a certain number of forum posts, and if turning that on somehow brought back comments on the classifieds 🤩🤩🤩

1 hour ago, betaboy said:

Manners

Maketh

A

Man.

definitely but as Jewbaca is saying that vast majority of people taking part in the free market don't have em and don't care that you expect them.

They're going to do what they do however much it might piss you off they have already forgotten about you and lowballed nine others.

This thing we used to call society or common decency is decaying away so quick it surprises me somedays.

Adapt or get left behind i guess....

I blame social media and load shedding, for shortening all communications in South Africa. Type Fast to preserve battery life. 🤭