Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea this.You can take the battery and motor off and use as a regular bike.Battery is not as strong as Bosch but you’ll get 40km.

9a62c2af75bbee7097de83489900e149.jpg

So when you take the battery out people will still scoff at you and swear under their breath....

No, in all seriousness, I like it too. Great idea!

Woes :P

You are now quoting a guy with more very high end e-bikes on their showroom floor than "normal" mountain bikes ... not to mention reasonably priced normal mountain bikes.

It's like asking a broker wether you have enough life insurance cover.

Broker: "Personally, I have died three times and every time it was way less traumatic on my family because I got extra cover."

It's like asking a broker wether you have enough life insurance cover.

Broker: "Personally, I have died three times and every time it was way less traumatic on my family because I got extra cover."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

You're not far off, based on some policies I've seen... 

Look carefully when some passes you on an Orbea.Could well be a eBike :whistling: :eek:

36327366_494017634354746_521886453145062

36420560_494017684354741_892829769903636

So true... it’s the first thing I look for nowadays when any bicycle overtakes me....

• 2 weeks later...

OKAY ... now I get all the hatred ....

Saturday morning I attempted the first section of Dortsberg.

This "person" comes idling past, with this most horid electric hummmm coming from his bike, drowning out the sounds of nature - not that I could hear it through my panting breath in any case, but that is besides the point dammit !

This overweight middle-aged "person" has not even broken a sweat yet - not me, the one on the hummmmer....  Stops, and gleefully looks back at his buddy that is actually CYCLING up Dorstberg .....

O-well ... at least I got a proper workout.

Edited by ChrisF

I rode in a very touristy area yesterday and there were 100's of bikes around and i noticed a few things.

Less hikers were out and many more bikes arounds.

People riding them have absolutely no basic skill and probably haven't been on a bike in 30 years.

Helmets are not compulsory and the generation riding never wore any and see no need now either.

Saw an elderly couple fall on a very sharp turn and fortunately they were fine other than having stinging nettle scratches all over.

Only use for them is drafting behind one into a headwind :thumbup:  :whistling:

Wondering actually if there is not an argument for the ebikes to be combined with the gearing system that Pinion is developing, or will that just be to close to the line for the haters to complain?

I rode in a very touristy area yesterday and there were 100's of bikes around and i noticed a few things.

Less hikers were out and many more bikes arounds.

People riding them have absolutely no basic skill and probably haven't been on a bike in 30 years.

Helmets are not compulsory and the generation riding never wore any and see no need now either.

Saw an elderly couple fall on a very sharp turn and fortunately they were fine other than having stinging nettle scratches all over.

Only use for them is drafting behind one into a headwind :thumbup: :whistling:

More people on bikes. That's a bad thing?

More people on bikes. That's a bad thing?

More people on bikes is awesome.They just need to have some common sense :whistling:

I've just spent some time in the US, Canada (ok Vancouver) and Germany and the range and number of people on every sort of bicycle from commuting to touring and training) is staggering, well, compared to SA. The majority in Germany anyway don't wear helmets and ebikes proliferate - from 999 to 5 000Euro. They must be coming.

I almost cracked a rib laughing so hard last weekend, a MAMIL e-bike rider(no older than 45) pulls into the carpark off the spruit and announces at the top of his voice: "40km, f** that is far, I am buggered, its time for a well deserved beer..."

Promptly starts loading his S-Works turbo Levo onto the bike rack.

Now 40km on the spruit is not taxing and I have ridden a Turbo levo it is fast and easy to ride, I nearly used it to lead out a 40km mtb race instead of using my Honda 250, that's how good it is.

If you are on an e-bike you are welcome to ride all trails in my opinion, but you lose all traction to complain about being tired...