Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

I Got my bike finished yesterday :clap: 

It's a Raleigh Mustang frame. Shimano 105 groupset. Ritchie handle bar, stem and seat post. 

Although it's a gravel bike it's going to be used as a road bike (having the option to fit bigger gravel tyres if I change my mind)

The frame, partial groupset, crank and brakes were all purchased from fellow hubbers.

The complete bike weight is 10kg's. Not very light but not to bad considering the tyres are 35C and using Conti Tour 28 tubes.

image0.jpeg

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/11/2021 at 4:19 PM, BogusOne said:

Finally able to post something decent again here... This opportunity came along my way and I couldnt let it pass... Building it has been slow, really really slow both due to stock and budget but in the end it all came together from bits and bobs from here and there and without costing an arm and a leg and here I have a beaut of a ti monster.... This Litespeed started its life as a 26er Pisgah mtb but the geometry is just perfect to build a gravel bike / monstercross bike. 

So here it stands with some nice fat rubber in 27.5 x 2,2 for some lekker squish and fun times... I also have a set of 29er wheels with some 45c tires that fit equally well if the mood changes.... But the wheels currently fitted rolls pretty well so for now they will stay.

The groupset consist of Dura Ace shifters, Xt RD with Tanpan and GRX crank. Brake calipers is some TRP mechanical units with compressionless housings that works surprizingly well. Havnt ridden or built with Shimano in many years but had to use what was available and that suits the flat wallet but im really stoked at the end result. The left shiter is currently not functional but contemplating hooking it up to a dropper post if and when I can find something in 27.2 so still might evolve a bit from where it is now.... 

unnamed (1).jpg

Sick build, well done.

I was under the impression that road shifter and MTB RD don't mix? How did you get that right? 

5 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Sick build, well done.

I was under the impression that road shifter and MTB RD don't mix? How did you get that right? 

1 hour ago, Ari SW said:

It is this little guy: https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/tanpan?variant=11283110789

It works well and you can put together a very capable groupset, ideal for a parts bin build. 

That is correct yes. The tanpan is a great little device. Fit and set gears and off you go. No mess no fuss.

On 9/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, BogusOne said:

That is correct yes. The tanpan is a great little device. Fit and set gears and off you go. No mess no fuss.

yep. used one on my wifes new gravel bike with 105 shifters. Works flawlessly. it also gives a the XT(mtb) rear mech the cable adjuster you lose by mounting it to road shifters...obviously mtb shifters have those. 

IMG_6373.JPG.38978f96ae4c50408698c3749a4fc76e.JPGIMG_6447.jpg.da274b17cbd50e60f6e5089310e14306.jpg

I used the Ratio upgrade kit which converted the Force 11 speed to 12  speed - Garbaruk cassette is perfect. 

1 hour ago, Monark said:

I used the Ratio upgrade kit which converted the Force 11 speed to 12  speed - Garbaruk cassette is perfect. 

Plus one for the Ratio kit - added it to my gravel bike using an old Eagle X01 derailleur and GX 10-50 cassette. Gives you the same range as an AXS mullet setup at a fraction of the cost.

• 5 weeks later...

Perhaps not a gravel bike... More like a cx bike. Started it's life as a hybrid bike (Trek 7300 fx) whole point of the build for me was to learn bike mechanics... I think I achieved that. Was fun. Just the wheels I got Wayne at Rapide to build for me and then powder coating at summit in midrand. Other than that, YouTube videos taught me what to do. Lol. 

Trek 7300 fx alloy + standard chrome fork

TRP CX9 mini vbrakes

Shimano claris groupset  46-34 with 11-34

WTB Rims with Conti race kings cx. Set up tubeless 

Wrenching time on weekends is now done, time to get out there and ride. 

DSC_1019.JPG

DSC_1014.JPG

DSC_1015.JPG

DSC_1013.JPG

My Cooper . Di2 with Xtr rear derailleur. Fitted some new 650b x 47 vittoria tyres 3 weeks ago. Hopefully test them this week. Right shifter down and left shifter up . The bike is amazingly fast,way faster than its servant . Absolutely love this bike  

A72605D7-8CAC-4085-B967-29CC0337878B.jpeg

FA83CAA4-5DEB-4EB7-B7F4-CA079E98D204.jpeg

86A14DF4-5017-490C-B7CC-3ABEF4FC7A1C.jpeg

Edited by Pikey

1 hour ago, Pikey said:

My Cooper . Di2 with Xtr rear derailleur. Fitted some new 650b x 47 vittoria tyres 3 weeks ago. Hopefully test them this week. Right shifter down and left shifter up . The bike is amazingly fast,way faster than its servant . Absolutely love this bike  

A72605D7-8CAC-4085-B967-29CC0337878B.jpeg

FA83CAA4-5DEB-4EB7-B7F4-CA079E98D204.jpeg

86A14DF4-5017-490C-B7CC-3ABEF4FC7A1C.jpeg

English racing green.

Beautifull bike!