Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike Hub Classified needs Comments Section

- need the comments section back

i'm convinced the hub overlords keep giving reasons why they took it away because the new site template (?? the only reason why I can think all this is so disjointed atm) does not allow comments in the classifieds...

Edited by morneS555

Another example of an advert that could use members feedback / comments:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-forks/397833/dhm-downhill-free-ride-fork

? Travel Amount

? Is this a 26'er fork that is offered as being run as a 650b fork

Quite a common sneaky sale tactic I've seen quite a few times... slap 650b wheels on a 26" bike and sell it as a 650b 

Not ayoba

Another example of an advert that could use members feedback / comments:

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-forks/397833/dhm-downhill-free-ride-fork

? Travel Amount

? Is this a 26'er fork that is offered as being run as a 650b fork

That was the beauty of the comments. It gave a chance to give extra info, ask Q's that would help other people, act as a moderator and was also source of some hilarious banter. 

Just remember that you can also report an ad.

I know that the guys in the office spend a lot more time weeding out fakes, misrepresented kit etc.

So while you can't comment, you can flag it and the head office will investigate.

It makes it less 'public', but the behind the scenes work is being done and will be better if more is flagged. 

Personally I don't mind that the comments have gone if you just change the way you use the site. Instead of public bashing, Matt, Nick and the gang are quietly raising flags and sorting out reported activity really effectively.

I often found the comments were silly. If the guy typed in too many 0's send him a PM. If there is misrepresentation, flag it. If you aren't sure, flag it or send a PM asking?

Is it a need to be involved or get the kudos for unveiling a fraudulent/misrepresented ad that makes us bay for comments, or is it a case of 'it used to be like that so it must still be like that'?

Just remember that you can also report an ad.

I know that the guys in the office spend a lot more time weeding out fakes, misrepresented kit etc.

So while you can't comment, you can flag it and the head office will investigate.

It makes it less 'public', but the behind the scenes work is being done and will be better if more is flagged. 

Personally I don't mind that the comments have gone if you just change the way you use the site. Instead of public bashing, Matt, Nick and the gang are quietly raising flags and sorting out reported activity really effectively.

I often found the comments were silly. If the guy typed in too many 0's send him a PM. If there is misrepresentation, flag it. If you aren't sure, flag it or send a PM asking?

Is it a need to be involved or get the kudos for unveiling a fraudulent/misrepresented ad that makes us bay for comments, or is it a case of 'it used to be like that so it must still be like that'?

The thing is... Some people just deserve a public bashing for the stupidity they put out into the world via the classifieds platform.

The thing is... Some people just deserve a public bashing for the stupidity they put out into the world via the classifieds platform.

I agree, but as BikeHub has grown as a website, I think there is a purposeful step away from having that sort of community hub bashing in the classifieds.

I just feel the 'old guard' or 'regulars' are playing a game of 'it used to be better' without making use of the new features because they aren't the same as the old ones..... I did enjoy some of the comments though... the old row about that X-Fusion fork that went on for 4 years.....

But most of the comments can easily be replaced with a PM or a ping to admin.

I agree, but as BikeHub has grown as a website, I think there is a purposeful step away from having that sort of community hub bashing in the classifieds.

I just feel the 'old guard' or 'regulars' are playing a game of 'it used to be better' without making use of the new features because they aren't the same as the old ones..... I did enjoy some of the comments though... the old row about that X-Fusion fork that went on for 4 years.....

But most of the comments can easily be replaced with a PM or a ping to admin.

makes it all sterile and no more community participation .... 

But isn't that why we have the Forums? 

Keep the classified sterile, well monitored and reported, official and easy to use, while the forums are the community jeering, pitch fork wielding buffoons who could be millionaires if we actually applied ourselves at work half as  much as we did here?

Like I said, as the site grows from a 1 man backyard band into a business, some things (especially the 'money end') need to be separated from the mob.

I've seen way too many forums die out due to certain changes and people opting for facebook rather.

Classified sections generally drive the forum visits and account for the majority of traffic. The rest that participate here on the forum is probably too small, and won't keep it afloat if the classifieds die out.