Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems we had a different experience in Bellville ....

I set the alarm, and was READY by 5:55 .... then I had to run around to get the extra remote that I use when I cycle.  So it was 6:00 when I started my ride.

Properly DARK.  My bike looked like a christmas tree with two wheels.  Few blocks and encountered a couple walking their dogs.  Mostly the road was deserted and quiet so early in the morning.  A few kilometers further three cyclists joined from the side, I hang back and gave them space ... knowing the road bikes will outpace me on the next downhill section.  These roadies kept some distance between themselves.

I did a nice circular route inside my 5km radius.  There were a number of people commuting and walking to work.  By the time I finished lap one the day started breaking, and people started going outside .... mostly people walking, and only a few bikes.  By the time I started lap 2, it suddenly got busy outside.

There was such a NICE vibe out there !!!  I have never seen so many bikers greeting each other.  :thumbup:   :clap:   Even the walkers and joggers were greeting the bikers.  All round just lekka !

Sadly very few people had masks or buffs .... the four bikers at Engen must have been a family, surely they would not abuse this opportunity to have a social meeting with others ....

Our neighbour walked their dog before 9 .... by then it was BUSY outside ... and even less masks ....

O-well, I had a LEKKA ride  :thumbup:  Finally got to use the Survivor SA buff that I got as a gift many many years ago ...

post-110956-0-79501200-1588345875_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-91452200-1588345891_thumb.jpg

It's all such a load of nonsense. Just allow people to exercise outside in their own hours. Then you won't have this sort of overcrowding.  Their idiotic new laws dumped everyone out on the promenade at the exact same time.

At the minimum have a 4pm to 7pm exercise slot as well.

I find it astonishing that people drove their cars to go and have a walk/run.

.aye.

This is why we need crayons..fortunately we can buy them again [emoji6]

MOST of those people would not have WALKED to the promenade ....

Got sent this link this morning about viral spread and social distancing and drafting zones...

https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgian-dutch-study-why-in-times-of-covid-19-you-can-not-walk-run-bike-close-to-each-other-a5df19c77d08

(Feeling lazy this morning, so I haven't checked the validity of it.)

And here's a decent looking rebuttal...

https://www.facebook.com/

100553591597588/posts/120574959595451/

1) Critiquing the "Belgian-Dutch Study: Why in times of COVID-19 you should not walk/run/bike close to each other" (what's the infectious dose for COVID anyway, and why 6' is necessary, but 30 is overkill); 2) How that idea of infectious dose dictates how we can interact with the world/food/people/mail/things other people have touched.

Edited by ridr

Seems we had a different experience in Bellville ....

I set the alarm, and was READY by 5:55 .... then I had to run around to get the extra remote that I use when I cycle. So it was 6:00 when I started my ride.

Properly DARK. My bike looked like a christmas tree with two wheels. Few blocks and encountered a couple walking their dogs. Mostly the road was deserted and quiet so early in the morning. A few kilometers further three cyclists joined from the side, I hang back and gave them space ... knowing the road bikes will outpace me on the next downhill section. These roadies kept some distance between themselves.

I did a nice circular route inside my 5km radius. There were a number of people commuting and walking to work. By the time I finished lap one the day started breaking, and people started going outside .... mostly people walking, and only a few bikes. By the time I started lap 2, it suddenly got busy outside.

There was such a NICE vibe out there !!! I have never seen so many bikers greeting each other. :thumbup: :clap: Even the walkers and joggers were greeting the bikers. All round just lekka !

Sadly very few people had masks or buffs .... the four bikers at Engen must have been a family, surely they would not abuse this opportunity to have a social meeting with others ....

Our neighbour walked their dog before 9 .... by then it was BUSY outside ... and even less masks ....

O-well, I had a LEKKA ride :thumbup: Finally got to use the Survivor SA buff that I got as a gift many many years ago ...

Freedom ride-2.jpg

Freedom ride-3.jpg

https://youtu.be/c-W_1p_cjOc

Ja jis. I felt like the King or something, riding without hands on the bars just waving, thank God for all the pushups etc otherwise my arms would have been to sat to greet everyone again tomorrow. Was a lekker vibe.

MOST of those people would not have WALKED to the promenade ....

Aye.... it was clear to me that you should start your exercise from your house...how did the park-a-car ones not know that..or did they just not care?

Aye.... it was clear to me that you should start your exercise from your house...how did the park-a-car ones not know that..or did they just not care?

you gotta ask ....  :ph34r:

Sadly way too many people are just way above these mundane rules ....  :wacko:

Tomorrow we will ride in the cul-de-sac after 8:00 ..... Maritz can finally get some saddle time ....  Sunday I will do the 6:00 thing again .... slight chance of rain, let's see how it plays out.

Maybe government should be listening to the people rather than dictating to them

People have had enough, there has to be a better way - perhaps telling people they must exercise at will but keeping social distancing would have been better than herding them into 3 hours after 5 weeks of confinement

Tough to take directives from a government incapable of controlling law and order or even obeying laws themselves in normal times

Especially this fedora wearing bully and his tainted record

Edited by Waynemol

The 5 km radius from my house fits my 40 km hilly on road or pavement circuit in . I went at 7.13 knowing this route takes me +_ 1hr 45min to ride . I timed it so well that i rode into my gate at 8,59, 54 . ( Haha ) . My route takes me through industrial  and residential areas . The road was so quiet  i could have ridden in the middle of the road with out obstructing traffic . I saw a lot of cyclists / runners / dog walkers and families with kids  out enjoying some freedom . Most cyclists and runners had masks or buffs on and were alone or in pairs . The culprits not obeying the rules were dog walkers with no masks and families with small kids and no masks . I especially did this route as the last time i rode it was the day before lock down and wanted to compare times . I was in fact by 4 min ( I think no traffic helped ) and the fact that i had been on my spinning bike and done 1020 km in 18 days . I had a SAPS car go past me on the one hill and i got a hoot and a thumbs up from them . Lets hope it stays like this during level 4 and you can all get back to your level of fitness from before lock down . Stay safe keep to the rules and times and not be selfish and spoil what little time we have been allowed out . Sounds terrible .  

post-111826-0-51246800-1588354384_thumb.png

I still surf and although I agree that it sucks that you cannot get out there, opening the beach just for surfing would start an all out civil disobedience issue especially if the 5km radius was applied...every man and his dog would drive down to the beach and there would be no control over the spread of this virus. The cops have enough on their hands without having to be at the beach to chase people away...the guidelines were very clear about beaches, there is no ambiguity about it, they are CLOSED. Hopefully, these guys were just chased away and did not end up with a lifetime criminal record....

The cops did not arrest or charge any of the surfers...today.Beware tomorrow.