Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

41 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

hahahahahaha 

I'm also in the deep south and I hate driving. 

I agree with Pyga, the people in Cape Town are terrible. Not just at driving, but in general. 

Obviously this is a massive generalization, but compared to Durban and Joburg, the people here are unfriendly and unwelcoming in most facets of life 

I love living in Muizenberg, I love living in Cape Town, but for what it offers me despite a large part of the local population. 

The generational Capetonians are a bit like religious cults with demographic derivatives. If you're not part of that particular cult, eish........ All bets are off! 

I've heard a lot about how unfriendly and stuck in their cliques Cape Tonians are. Can't comment on the veracity of this, as we've met some amazing people in CT. Maybe because we in a small village. One thing I can confirm is nobody complains like Cape Tonians. My fo#k, Marelize, they don't stop!! 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm originally from Jozi, and after 20 years people still ask me if I consider myself a Capetonian, to which I reply 'no, I can still drive properly'. But that's moot, as I moved to a small town, where traffic is limited to 'rush-moment' and I can sense within myself that I have slowed down to a very chilled pace, which is perfect.

But I suspect CT drivers' problems stem from the fact they have no clue where they're going because the road signage is so very very k@k, and frankly, my driveway is more of a road than the beginning of the N2.

Still, CT has their own boet-mentality, usually driving indulgent SUVs, or heaven-forbid a white bakkie, or the even-worse Fortuner (any colour)

Edited by lechatnoir

46 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I'm originally from Jozi, and after 20 years people still ask me if I consider myself a Capetonian, to which I reply 'no, I can still drive properly'. But that's moot, as I moved to a small town, where traffic is limited to 'rush-moment' and I can sense within myself that I have slowed down to a very chilled pace, which is perfect.

But I suspect CT drivers' problems stem from the fact they have no clue where they're going because the road signage is so very very k@k, and frankly, my driveway is more of a road than the beginning of the N2.

Still, CT has their own boet-mentality, usually driving indulgent SUVs, or heaven-forbid a white bakkie, or the even-worse Fortuner (any colour)

you forgot the constantia housewives in the merc 4 x 4 - dont even get me started on those special karens.  From time to time when i venture over the mountain (Deep South lingo for going outside of kommetjie, noordhoek or fish hoek) I encounter these entitled psychos and their white-knuckle driving fetching their lovely kids from bishops or Rhenish

6 minutes ago, PygaSchmyga said:

you forgot the constantia housewives in the merc 4 x 4 - dont even get me started on those special karens.  From time to time when i venture over the mountain (Deep South lingo for going outside of kommetjie, noordhoek or fish hoek) I encounter these entitled psychos and their white-knuckle driving fetching their lovely kids from bishops or Rhenish

Rhenish is in Stellies.
Do you mean St Cyps ?

It feels like you guys have just described Menlyn in Pretoria, anywhere bordering Centurion/Midrand or the whole Fourways/Lonehill/Sunninghill Jhb area .... my cchhiiinnnnaa. BYRON, HOWZEIT!

2 hours ago, El Duderino said:

I've heard a lot about how unfriendly and stuck in their cliques Cape Tonians are. Can't comment on the veracity of this, as we've met some amazing people in CT. Maybe because we in a small village. One thing I can confirm is nobody complains like Cape Tonians. My fo#k, Marelize, they don't stop!! 

You must be a forren if you call it OKSW!

14 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

It feels like you guys have just described Menlyn in Pretoria, anywhere bordering Centurion/Midrand or the whole Fourways/Lonehill/Sunninghill Jhb area .... my cchhiiinnnnaa. BYRON, HOWZEIT!

the traffic, anytime of day or night in both those areas is enough to make one drive like a boet

7 hours ago, Mook said:

I know a few okes that would shoot holes in any Landy's bonnet for no particular reason ................... to save the planet perhaps 🤷‍♂️

Please PM names so I can avoid.........

11 minutes ago, DJR said:

Please PM names so I can avoid.........

They didn't read the bit in the book about de escalation.

It's time for a confession. If a grey ford double cab turned into that little slip way front of you on chappies right at the toll gate at around 6.30 a week or 2 ago it was me. Sorry guys in that crew. I did look and I honestly didn't see anyone. 

I've since started driving in there the "wrong" way to avoid the problem.

21 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

It's time for a confession. If a grey ford double cab turned into that little slip way front of you on chappies right at the toll gate at around 6.30 a week or 2 ago it was me. Sorry guys in that crew. I did look and I honestly didn't see anyone. 

I've since started driving in there the "wrong" way to avoid the problem.

We need more of this self reflextion .... ONLY way we can grow ...

@Zebra post resonated today.  Many years ago I had an episode where I "lost it" ... the more I screemed and shouted the more the people in the taxi laughed ....

that day, okay after the red mist finally subsided, I made a promise to myself to never give them that level of satisfaction again.

once in a blue moon my defences suffer a lapse .... yea, I am human.  But mostly I am the one smiling when I manage to not play into their hand.

Edited by ChrisF

On 8/8/2024 at 11:51 AM, The Ouzo said:

Might be the same stretch of road, very similar thing, except I saw the taxi stopped by the shops at the bottom of the hill and was watching him like a hawk.

My mate went through and not long after the taxi started to move, angle of the front wheels told me all I needed to know about his intended maneuver and I hit the brakes. Had I not been aware and watching him it would have not been a pretty sight.

Different road. This is the bridge below Toadbury hotel, there's a gate to Wildwood Brasserie and just before ZZ Farms in the Cradle.

However, wherever this happens it's scary.

I also scan for wheels turning, doors opening or closing etc 

Be safe

8 minutes ago, MTBeer said:

Dwight needs a few days on SA roads to HTFU

spat my coffee out - top comment but also, yassus man, we are making fun of something that is proper F-TAP.  I guess its the desperation of knowing that little can be done about it in SA, realistically, so we resort to levity.  If JP can't make Capetonians drive properly, then who will take on the rest of the country with any effectiveness?  I despair about this one

Edited by PygaSchmyga