Cycling in Level 3 Lockdown?

Guessing that Tokai trails will still be open due the the ‘access controlled’ part of the info released but if working on that then kids and families and dogs are going to be banned from lower Tokai.

I see people in the water on the surf cams at Muizenburg and Longbeach already so wondering if they just didn’t know or if jumping off the rocks has got around the ‘beaches, rivers and dams are closed’ angle or did big Cyril close the ocean as well?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there are people who think it is stupid for more legitimate reasons like they leave their house at 5am to walk 7km to catch a taxi/bus by 5:45 so they can be at work on time so their Mlungu boss doesn't fire them after strolling in at 9am after a nice 3 hour bike ride.

9 is a good time at night, they could have left it at 5am for the guys who have a long commute to work.

The problem with any rules they make is that they affect us, which is the point, but also means those affected will voice their displeasure.. So while you feel personally attacked that you can't exercise before 6am (affected by the new rules) others now have to spend upward of 60% of their income to get to and from work faster. With no trains running, the taxi's are charging a premium and bread liners are stuffed.

Re-structure a bit for the next two weeks. If the past 9 months haven't taught you to be fluid in your plans and daily activities then nothing will.

Personally I can fully get behind the new rules for the next 2 weeks. I'm sure they will have another look once work is back in full swing. I walked past Hudsons on the Muizenberg Beachfront yesterday and it was PACKED. Like peak hour on the London tube packed. We really have done this to ourselves

Exactly

Bleating about only going out at 6 on a bike is indicative of the ignorance of the gravity of the situation.

Exactly

Bleating about only going out at 6 on a bike is indicative of the ignorance of the gravity of the situation.

I think if moving the curfew from 4am or 5am to 6am made any discernible difference to the infection rate there would be more support for it. But it only serves to increase jam-packed transport between the hours of 6am and 8am.

Moving the morning curfew wasn’t thought through properly…..

Edited by EddieV

I'm sure there are people who think it is stupid for more legitimate reasons like they leave their house at 5am to walk 7km to catch a taxi/bus by 5:45 so they can be at work on time so their Mlungu boss doesn't fire them after strolling in at 9am after a nice 3 hour bike ride.

9 is a good time at night, they could have left it at 5am for the guys who have a long commute to work.

The problem with any rules they make is that they affect us, which is the point, but also means those affected will voice their displeasure.. So while you feel personally attacked that you can't exercise before 6am (affected by the new rules) others now have to spend upward of 60% of their income to get to and from work faster. With no trains running, the taxi's are charging a premium and bread liners are stuffed.

Re-structure a bit for the next two weeks. If the past 9 months haven't taught you to be fluid in your plans and daily activities then nothing will.

Personally I can fully get behind the new rules for the next 2 weeks. I'm sure they will have another look once work is back in full swing. I walked past Hudsons on the Muizenberg Beachfront yesterday and it was PACKED. Like peak hour on the London tube packed. We really have done this to ourselves 

Too much sense in there for a lot of people. It's Christmas, it's holiday, it's be cool, restaurants seems to be ignoring social distance measures in a lot of places, out of town visitors seem to think that the virus has gone to the northern cape for a holiday, tons of Cape Town has gone off to the Eastern Cape packed into taxis and then will be coming back, Gauteng okes have come down here, the rest of Cape Town has headed to the garden route and it's all sh8ts and giggles as we ride around in big holiday packs and sit in coffee shops with the only ones wearing masks are the people serving you. 

This 2nd wave was going badly enough already. On a personal level our extended family has been super careful all the way through due to a number of older folk in the clan and have been pretty clear so far but this time around 3 members currently have it and 2 are properly in pretty decent trouble. The 3rd is a young cousin (fit and strong) who has been out and about with mates but pretty sensibly all in all and he is on his back. Seems like this time round it's getting a good foot hold as people are getting complacent. The 2 hospitals we called said flat out that beds are full and best thing to do is to get an oxygen monitor only to come in if that reading drops significantly or they can't breath and then they will make a plan to see them in out patients if there is space. 

I'll do what needs to be done even if it seems a bit illogical at times. We were supposed to be going to Plett' in a couple of days time but have canned that due to restrictions and the current cases down there. Decent cost in that down the drain but in my mind it's not about me, my fun and my bike / board at the moment. 

I'd like some clarity on whether you have to have a mask on for sport now. seeing as it has become a criminal offence and all..

I will be riding with at least a buff around my neck anyway.  As soon as I get remotely close to other people simply pull it up over my nose and mouth.

Better safe than sorry, the law is one thing, for me its more important not to get infected since my wife's immune system is virtually non existent and she probably wont cope with the virus at all.

Look I bleated about not being able to ride as that is how it affects ME, but at the same time I also acknowledge the person that has to leave home at 4 or 5 am to get to work.

The heat is killing us in Durban, I've been starting at 4:30 to 5am for a while now so 6 is quite late and by 7 its already too hot.

I'll stay in my pain cave with the AC for a while until things change again.

Riding with a buff in 35deg isn't going to be fun.

:thumbup:

For those who want specifics:

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/202012/44044rg-11217gon1423s.pdf

"(3) No person will be allowed to-

(c ) be in any public open space, if he or she is not wearing a face mask."

"(4) The prohibition in subregulation (3)(c ) shall not apply to a person who undertakes vigorous exercise in a public place, provided that the person maintains a distance of at least one and a half metres from any other person, and subject to directions on what is considered to be vigorous, issued by the Cabinet member responsible for health."

So in other words if you're on an ebike you gotta wear a mask... ????

Look I bleated about not being able to ride as that is how it affects ME, but at the same time I also acknowledge the person that has to leave home at 4 or 5 am to get to work.

Think MANY of us had already set our alarms to get out before sunrise ...

Some to get a lap in before it gets hot. Others to get a lap in before work.

I reset the alarm, and left just after 6.00.

Couple of the regular walkers in the area already returning from their walk ...

LOTS of staff, Spar Engen etc. walking to work .... most of them probably left home before 5 to report on time for their shift.

Truly two different worlds ....

40km later I stop for coffee .... ZERO social distancing !! People walking to the coffee bar leaving their masks in the car ....

Sadly way too many people simply refuse to play nicely .... DIE donners gaan maak dat ons verder toegesluit word ....

If you need to travel to "work" during curfew hours you can get a permit from your company.

If you happen to use a bicycle as your means of transport to get to "work" then such permit will apply.

:thumbup:

For those who want specifics:

https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/202012/44044rg-11217gon1423s.pdf

"(3) No person will be allowed to-

(c ) be in any public open space, if he or she is not wearing a face mask."

"(4) The prohibition in subregulation (3)(c ) shall not apply to a person who undertakes vigorous exercise in a public place, provided that the person maintains a distance of at least one and a half metres from any other person, and subject to directions on what is considered to be vigorous, issued by the Cabinet member responsible for health."

Interesting watching people after Monday nights announcement ....

Good many people actually wearing masks while out for solo rides/runs/walks .... no harm erring on the side of caution.

Different families meeting at the local trail, having a coffee .... no masks, and sitting very close .... obviously the masks comes off to enjoy the drinks .... but WHY sit shoulder to shoulder when there are lots of space to spread out ....

We wont need all these rules if people could manage TWO basic principles ....

1. Social DISTANCE ....

2. Mask up when close to others.

O.well, if 2020 taught me one thing .... people made up their minds very early, and even a death in the family only change behaviour for a few days ....

Politians will keep making new rules ....

Cops will remain ineffective ....

And people wont change their behaviour, defending "their" approach tooth and nail ....

Pity .... SO easy for each of us to do our bit .....

Edited by ChrisF

So it seems not only the "bourgeois" is out of touch with the working class reality, so are our politicians. 

So no cycling in groups according to CSA, I can see cyclists complying with that ... [emoji41]ecb87d8ad45120c254a252cf56a5b283.jpg

Wondering if this will impact on the call for the January Trans Baviaans .....

With everybody returning home in the next 10 days, no real chance for the numbers to magically drop by 14 January .... cant see how the Level 3 will be lifted on the 15th .....

So sorry for those that put in the effort to prepare for this event .... both riders and organisers.