Does stuff like this also bother you?

Grass Muncher

The Specalized stock is all over the market in Gauteng. I have seen it in pawn shops and some big retail shops. The stock was baught from Spesalized at a fraction of cost. 

12 minutes ago, Kom said:

Great comment, and really could end this thread in its tracks.

Time is money as they say, i often ponder why i encounter so many rich guys selling their equipment for cheap, i think value hunting is quite relative, what one guy takes the time to buy and resell for a tidy R5k profit might be one guys night out on a Friday. Then there are ads here with little to no savings margin over what a new item costs, yet their are hubbers that will wait for these opportunities without caring to google how easy it may be to have something new and delivered for convenience (my goto example are tires, probably the single best new bang for the buck you can invest in your bike, yet the second hand space is quite active here).

Switching gears slightly, what i find quite controversial is how easy and cheap it is to import new bike parts undercutting local distribution by 50% - we live in a global market, i find it ludicrous that the South African bike market is so over priced.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Barry said:

The Specalized stock is all over the market in Gauteng. I have seen it in pawn shops and some big retail shops. The stock was baught from Spesalized at a fraction of cost. 

So a company bought Spesh stock then sold it at a profit to a lawnmower shop that sold it at a profit to a scalper who in turn is going to sell it at a profit to the general public?

Damn I love capitalism when it is combined with rampant consumerism ????

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Surely it's a bigger problem that parts meant for development riders got stolen/misallocated/fell off a truck than you missing out on a too good to be true deal?

Surely your ethics dictate that not being part of a dodgy sale cycle is more important than someone scalping your bargain?

I agree 100%. Nothing wrong with making a profit or getting a good deal as long as something illegal or unethical isn't going on. IMO any person buying stolen/misallocated/fell off a truck goods are as guilty as the person who is supplying it.

The stock was not for development. It is old dead stock. The same lawnmower shop is probably going to sit with the 200odd size small helmets they have. Or someone will see profit and buy a bunch. 

As said above my issue would be the initial “sourcing “ of the product and the fact that those who were supposed to get them didn’t, saying that he knew he was buying said product

my issue lies with him, I know it’s still fruit of the tree and none of us know for sure origins of what we buy

but he clearly did

on the economics of buying cheap and profiting LEGALLY nothing wrong with it,

how did you put it BIKEHUB TYCOONS ????????????????bud that’s called simple economics and business sense

34 minutes ago, Yassis said:

What bothers me is that after your friend bought these goods and claiming that it sounds unethical, you and your brother still went to see if you could get something...this rant sounds more like sour grapes to me.

This, so don’t throw stones

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Because previously hubbers were forced to only read/discuss current affairs and topics like this didn't exist? ????

Agree 100% with aquaratza. Think admin can just pin his response at the top and close the thread for further comments.

no one was ever forced to read or interact in any of the current affairs topics, that would have been a conscious choice by any user to interact with those threads..

The owner of said lawnmower shops and his family are hub members they even have current adds running on the hub for said Specialized stock. 

No problems with doing it - If i see something selling that i know i'll make money selling it on - I do it without any qualms. Like crypto - I buy from some selling at X and then sell it to someone buying at XX. 

I bought a COLNAGO a few years back for 15K which was clearly worth 25K - I kept it though ! - But if i now sold it for 25K, why would you have a problem with that ?

13 hours ago, Patchelicious said:

To answer your question, yes it does annoy me when somebody advertises something, gets paid the price they asked, then when the person who took on that risks makes a little profit people whinge about it.

It’s called free markets. Schools should prepare you for this.

There is no room for participation trophies in capitalism.

Few times that we agree. ????

The way I see it is that I want to sell something

I know it worth X if I wait etc reply to many request and send pics etc etc. But I dont need x-amount I need y-amount to buy some other toy. So I just sell it for Y-amount. If the next person now wants to sell it and do what I did not feel like = good on them 

Would it be unfair for persons who buy low and sell high here on a regular basis to possibly have a 1 or 2 hour embargo after an add has been placed whereby they can not purchase.

That would give the regular rider the chance of acting quickly on a deal that would benefit users on this site.