IDT saddle hurting but fine when on a normal ride

cathmtb

Hey everyone

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but when I do a normal ride on my road bike for a few hours I have no issues. As soon as I put it on the IDT the saddle hurts, I don't think I am sitting properly on my sit bones but rolled forward slightly. I have a specialized power saddle women specific and they did a set up for me. I have done the obvious things like standing up and moving around when riding as you would on a normal ride. I have also raised my handle bars so that I am sitting more upright. Does anyone have any advice? I have not adjusted the saddle, not sure if tipping it forward or back might make things any worse. I should probably just go back to the bike shop where they did the setup but I am pressed for time and would be great if I could just solve this on my own. TIA

Do you have a riser block under the front wheel to level the bike.?

Without it there can be a significant drop possibly contributing your discomfort.

33 minutes ago, Thomo said:

Do you have a riser block under the front wheel to level the bike.?

Without it there can be a significant drop possibly contributing your discomfort.

Nope, according to the manufacturer it’s not needed for the core but maybe I should try it out anyway. Thank you 

9 minutes ago, cathmtb said:

Nope, according to the manufacturer it’s not needed for the core but maybe I should try it out anyway. Thank you 

I checked my setup .... roadbike on the KikrCore.

The front axle is about 5mm HIGHER than the rear axle.  For normal 700C road tyres.

The wheel on trainers used to have a very "nose down" setup, thus the block under the front wheel.

Question ... what size tyres does your bike have ?  If the normal 700C, then the bike should be level ....

59 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I checked my setup .... roadbike on the KikrCore.

The front axle is about 5mm HIGHER than the rear axle.  For normal 700C road tyres.

The wheel on trainers used to have a very "nose down" setup, thus the block under the front wheel.

Question ... what size tyres does your bike have ?  If the normal 700C, then the bike should be level ....

Looks like I have 700, attached a pic, so I should then get the riser block then correct? 

5C58AFAB-317E-4DA3-BB15-AE292272016A.jpeg

Sounds like the axle heights should be similar on your setup, comparing front and rear.

Screenshot_20220521-154240_Gallery.jpg.6c1c31c69c5ca4a5c89a4e9b592b9670.jpg

Screenshot_20220521-154238_Gallery.jpg.4b189c29bd8f01e43e2d382fa2f2ee02.jpg

No need for leveling blocks when it is this close.

Here’s my setup, to avoid it to be too rigid I bought feva mats, and if I want extra movement (for out of the saddle climbing for instance) I add the rocker plates

CD8F181F-1D78-45C5-942A-AB5289167117.jpeg

2F8D00EA-6185-4A07-B514-12AB79DBE2F4.jpeg

Edited by Jbr

Your problem is simple: It it the power saddle. They are great saddles for some but do not work for everyone. Look at swopping it for a phenom and all your issues will be sorted. There is another thread on here with the same issue and I actually sent @figjam_sa a phenom to try but he had a little accident and has not been able to try it out. I see you're in Jhb, I have another phenom lying here which you can try (for mahala) and if it works then problem solved, if it doesn't no harm 😁

And yes, I know your saddle is "lady's specific" and mine will obviously not be but it is about the shape of the saddle that we'll be testing 

Edited by RobertWhitehead
Made an offer

The saddle on the bike that i use on my rollers is purposefully uncomfortable haha.

I can sit on it for 45min- 1hr max. That way i’m forced to smash it for that 45min instead of leisurely cruising along.

in contrast, my brooks on my bike is supremely comfy…so i want to ride it more than that POS idt.

Edited by MORNE

Isnt it as simple as checking your saddle angle when off the IDT and then replicating it when on the IDT?

You may need to change the angle to compensate for any changes in height from the IDT

put a phone book under your feont wheel for 3 sessions and see 

it'll cost you nothing 

+1 on riser block. I always rode without n riser block under the front wheel on the idt. Tried it once and never looked back. Much more comfortable with the riser block.

Something to consider is that on the trainer you sit on the saddle and you pedal. Out on the road you shift your weight when you descend, turn corners, hop over stuff and and and....

The trainer is relentlessly same same

I had the same thing when I used a trainer. A bike I could ride for 2 weeks on freedom challenge without getting a saddle sore was uncomfortable.

It's a question of getting used to it. Seriously, the trainer is relentless and there is nowhere to hide anything.

You can try all the blocks and techno 4mm measurements etc but the reality is that on the trainer you don't move and on a real ride you do. 

If you're 'new' to riding (taken up proper saddle time in the last 4 years) you probably just have to still find that sweet spot and toughen up the seat area.

Or throw away the trainer. I have and I don't regret it for a day