• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

No time for pics today.

Was busy testing a PM that arrived today, acquired through a successful BikeHub transaction.

Best 1-min power for the season

1 [emoji471]and 3 PBs

...to a very dark place.

My MTB seemingly hates me ever since I got it back and it discovered another bike had been added to the family. Last night i walked home after destroying a rear tire on god knows what. This morning I broke the chain smashing up the last hill about 1km away from home and almost had an involuntary gender transition. Luckily i could bodge the chain with the quicklink already on there so didn't have to walk hom again.

Ungrateful bastard, i basically had to buy it back from its kidnappers after spending 3 weeks looking for it, stripped it down to nuts and bolts and rebuilt it. I even bought it a new saddle....and this is the thanks i get. Fml.

????????????

While the hubbers in Luxembourg and UK are complaining about the weather, we down here at the foothills of the Alps were having marvelous sunny autumn days.  Well I won't mention that last week we had absolute crap weather with borderline winter weather and snow falling on the Alps (as you saw on the Giro).  But in the mean time I am loving the view of all the Autumn colours and the blue skies behind it.  Went on an afternoon ride yesterday and we are having fairly warm weather at the moment.

post-71-0-03394400-1603397511_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-43314700-1603397525_thumb.jpg

Trying to take a pic of the snow capped mountains but the camera does not do the view any favours

post-71-0-07336600-1603397541_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-37421300-1603397563_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-97735800-1603397578_thumb.jpg

post-71-0-40963200-1603397473_thumb.jpg

Here’s my take on it .

I have recently been asking myself the same question. Hence me riding them back to back and over the same terrain and mostly the same distance except a longer rode on the dual suss to see if it can handle the distance . We both know the stache & gravel can. Bearing in mind the ds is a 130/140 66* deg trail bike than isn’t very light , 13,7kg I think .

Here’s my thoughts . If you can only have one bike the stache has to be it as the gravel grinder and the mnt bike . But,and a big but,if you dong mostly outrides and not bothered about bike park type rides then the gravel bike with wider bars can ride 80% of what the stache rides with no bother and a a damn site faster with a lot less effort. Yep the 3.0 tyres are boat anchors in comparison to a gravel bike and over distance. The fatigue is definitely tangible and to some degree.

The stache vs the ds= The stache is more efficient and faster over flat dirt roads,not gravel fast but definitely faster than a ds. Going down the stache is quite capable as I am sure you are aware ,but compared to a 130 ds it’s obviously needs more attention to keep up the speed. Climbing up semi smooth ascents it’s close . But, add some rocks and corrugation or roots and undulations and the ds even at 130 seems more efficient to me . Less getting bucked out of the saddle,less paying attention to to line choice and generally easier. Time wise not much in it , but it’s the fatigue factor here that counts. You have to think less on a ds. If you had a 100/120 ds it could be the one bike to rule them all. Not the best at everything but very capable .

I recently on a ride with a mate jumped on his yeti asr c and he had spin on the stache . It was immediately apparent how much less effort the yeti took to propel it forward . I was genuinely surprised at the difference. Over a 100 plus kilometres it would be huge for me personally.

My ds vs the gravel bike is almost the same difference again if you can take the harsher ride. Over the yeti it’s still quicker and with less effort.

For me personally I love my gravel bike more and more . Even though I know can do marathon type distances on my ds I am more and more leaning away from this bike and the type of riding it yearns for .

Maybe it’s an age thing but enjoy my gravel bike more than any other bike. I think it’s the freedom thing combined with the speed you can hit on the dirt .

Apologies for the waffle

Crikey Pikey

All you had to do was ask and I would have told you that an ASRc with 120mm up front, is the one bike to have. Now pack away the road bike with fat tyres and stop mucking/bouncing about... BTW I know a guy who will take that Niner off your hands...

Edited by CAAD4

I know progress is inevitable and urbanisation will happen regardless but sad in my opinion what's happening at Thaba.

I hear the reassurance being given that the trails will still be there and rideable but for how long? From previous experience in this area I give it a year max, mark my words ...ce4c4cc5a48a4f1899abc87862ee7ff9.jpg

Crikey Pikey

All you had to do was ask and I would have told you that an ASRc with 120mm up front, is the one bike to have. Now pack away the road bike with fat tyres and stop mucking/bouncing about... BTW I know a guy who will take that Niner off your hands...

The ASRc is such a good bike,I reckon it has tallboy like status or should have .

As for my beloved RLT, it may be u for sale this week with my habit. Am outta here in 2/3 weeks hopefully ????

I know progress is inevitable and urbanisation will happen regardless but sad in my opinion what's happening at Thaba.

I hear the reassurance being given that the trails will still be there and rideable but for how long? From previous experience in this area I give it a year max, mark my words ...ce4c4cc5a48a4f1899abc87862ee7ff9.jpg

I wholeheartedly agree with you mate. So very sad .

The ASRc is such a good bike,I reckon it has tallboy like status or should have .

As for my beloved RLT, it may be u for sale this week with my habit. Am outta here in 2/3 weeks hopefully ????

I hope it works out for you Mate. Don't you need the RLT for the cobbles?

I hope it works out for you Mate. Don't you need the RLT for the cobbles?

Quite probably, but am aiming more for a road/ gravel mix bike . Thanks mate .