Coffee machine

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We recently got a new coffee machine, a Philips grind and brew. The problem now is that the coffee smells and taste like plastic, especially if we make use of the timer function. What can I do to remove te taste and smell from the machine?

We recently got a new coffee machine, a Philips grind and brew. The problem now is that the coffee smells and taste like plastic, especially if we make use of the timer function. What can I do to remove te taste and smell from the machine?

if its new new, you going to have to wait it out a bit. i think this can be seen as normal, how bad is the plastic taste?

get some old stale beans, and run it through the machine it may help

Are we over complicating the art of Coffee?

https://www.facebook.com/barista.dritan.alsela/videos/1773390066158168/?vh=e&extid=0

If you can’t see the video, it is by Barista Dritan Alsela on how to make cappuccino at home

So easy and now high pressure steam, not a investment of R25000 just pain simple and easy. And finished of with some art as well...

Edited by Cois

So while out on my bike yesterday I was thinking about my pre-ride coffee. First cup was made using a 6 cup induction moka pot and the second was made using a 3 cup standard aluminium moka. Definitely find I prefer the stainless steel induction one, although the other one is also good. Got me thinking, does anyone else have a preferred moka pot? Also, how do you make yours?

So while out on my bike yesterday I was thinking about my pre-ride coffee. First cup was made using a 6 cup induction moka pot and the second was made using a 3 cup standard aluminium moka. Definitely find I prefer the stainless steel induction one, although the other one is also good. Got me thinking, does anyone else have a preferred moka pot? Also, how do you make yours?

Jura XF50

if its new new, you going to have to wait it out a bit. i think this can be seen as normal, how bad is the plastic taste?

get some old stale beans, and run it through the machine it may help

The taste was quite bad, but it was new. I ran a few cleaning cycles with diluted vinegar as per the manual. It didn't really make a difference. I ended up sending the machine back today due to the plastic taste. We had an old kettle that would give off the same plastic taste 1 out of 5 times of use, so I am not taking any chances on this.

I am also a bit disappointed in the grinder, while the grind volume seems to be consistent, the finest setting is not fine enough in my opinion. I would have preferred to have the option of going finer to experiment with. 

For the next machine we will go with a separate standalone grinder (burr-grinder off course).

I have aluminium moka pot. I make americano with this along with hairo grinder (manual) 

It's a double espresso pot.

Cant compare to Stainless as I don't have one. Perhaps I'll spoil myself with a Stainless Steel pot in the near future. 

Are we over complicating the art of Coffee?

https://www.facebook.com/barista.dritan.alsela/videos/1773390066158168/?vh=e&extid=0

If you can’t see the video, it is by Barista Dritan Alsela on how to make cappuccino at home

So easy and now high pressure steam, not a investment of R25000 just pain simple and easy. And finished of with some art as well...

Mocha pots are still my favourite way to make coffee, I just use the bean to cup more often.

That vid makes me want to break out the Bialetti.

2 Group Wega Atlas... 

Or 

Aeropress 

:ph34r:

My go to is the Gs3, failing that it's Chemex or Hario , occasionally Turkish, the Aeropress is still at work and just left there since beginning of Lockdown.

My go to is the Gs3, failing that it's Chemex or Hario , occasionally Turkish, the Aeropress is still at work and just left there since beginning of Lockdown.

One of my favorites... 

Is anyone using a wifi plug / smart switch to control their machines (that take a while to warmup)?

Looking for options 

Is anyone using a wifi plug / smart switch to control their machines (that take a while to warmup)?

Looking for options

I've been looking for one for my machine at the shop...

Nothing so far!