Puffy encounter

gerhardsnorbaard

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see them a lot around here as well, especially late in the winter afternoons ( I had one behind a plant pot at the back of my house last week when I went to feed some stray cats that hang around, so if you think cats keeps snakes away....think again!)

post-12678-0-96142200-1445414164_thumb.jpg

Beware of the Boerewors snake....

post-12678-0-77805000-1445415049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mojoman

I see them a lot around here as well, especially late in the winter afternoons ( I had one behind a plant pot at the back of my house last week when I went to feed some stray cats that hang around, so if you think cats keeps snakes away....think again!)

LOL. Where I live, the pythons staple diet is stray cat (with the occasional dog included). Seriously!

Seen as well there NO pikchas of these encounters mentioned above.I was almost eaten by an anaconda yesterday.If is wasn't for my Camelbak, he would have swallowed me.

Nonsense Vetseun, you know you were not wearing a camelback! It was your boep. ;)

Edited by PeterF

Yesterday i was cruising down a jeep track in deer park (ct), and saw something resembling a log in the middle of the road. Then when i got close i realised its a puff adder crossing the road. Managed to stop within metre or 2 of striking distance.

This made me think - how does one handle such a situation when you cant stop? Go past head or tail, or through the middle? Bunny hop? Ride over it and hope it doesnt catch the spokes? Would love to hear others stories.

Rode over some description of snake in Kings kloof on one of the fire road decents during the Route 99... only saw it about 2 feet in front of me...  went straight over it at some speed - not sure what it was - not fat enough for a puffy, and about 4 or 5 feet long - with fairly visible dark markings on it.

Slight heart rate spike.... fortunately no damage, and a lot more comfortable than hitting a warthog....

Just had the guts to take a pic of this one on a recent ride... Told it is a bergadder as i did not recognized the specie. Luckily this oukie just lied still and did not move but the cape cobras i've encountered before are not oukies that like to pose for a photo...

post-45318-0-29163800-1445417706_thumb.jpg

Had the same experience at Welvanpas. Nearly rode over 2 x fat puffy's lying on the trail on the descent from the top. 

I had actually fallen off on a corner about 10 metres before them and once up again i saw them. I was far enough away but by the time i got my phone out for the photo they were gone in to the bush.

Beautiful animals......

Puffies i can still handle because they're not one of the fastest snakes around, except when they strike...

But Coming across a 2m+ Black Mamba, is not fun at all. And believe you me, i have had a couple close encounters with them.. Almost made me give up MTB and take up road cycling. :ph34r:  :eek:

Puffies i can still handle because they're not one of the fastest snakes around, except when they strike...

But Coming across a 2m+ Black Mamba, is not fun at all. And believe you me, i have had a couple close encounters with them.. Almost made me give up MTB and take up road cycling. :ph34r:  :eek:

No need to overreact :eek:

But Coming across a 2m+ Black Mamba, is not fun at all. And believe you me, i have had a couple close encounters with them.. Almost made me give up MTB and take up road cycling. [emoji14]h34r: :eek:

That would freak me out too.