Do eBikes belong on the mountain?

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Identity crisis this weekend - toiled up Spykers hill in the wind and didn't enjoy myself. Bombed down Trail Z and loved it --- toiled up to faircape and didn't have fun - bombed down trail q and loved it - halfway back up to the top of Faircape and not having much fun and resigning myself to not having any legs and deciding that I would take the tar downhill back to the carpark rather than tackle the big climb back to the top of hoogies,  this thought popped in my head

"if I had an ebike I would smash trail Q again"

I tried to get rid of the thought - denial, a moment of weakness .... what does this say about me and my dedication to HTFU principles?

Do ebikes belong on the mountain?

Identity crisis this weekend - toiled up Spykers hill in the wind and didn't enjoy myself. Bombed down Trail Z and loved it --- toiled up to faircape and didn't have fun - bombed down trail q and loved it - halfway back up to the top of Faircape and not having much fun and resigning myself to not having any legs and deciding that I would take the tar downhill back to the carpark rather than tackle the big climb back to the top of hoogies,  this thought popped in my head

I tried to get rid of the thought - denial, a moment of weakness .... what does this say about me and my dedication to HTFU principles?

Had that exact same thought today cycling up to he mast at conties .... would love to smash out the DH run from the top multiple times ..  Guess until then I will just have to be happy being a shuttle-cock once a month.

Edited by Toads.Mojo

After being a chronic ebike hater, last weekend I got a demo for the weekend. This weekend I was riding my own one. They are complete game changers. We we ride more often, more trails per ride and if it is possible have even more fun on a bike.

Had that exact same thought today cycling up to he mast at conties .... would love to smash out the DH run from the top multiple times ..  Guess until then I will just have to be happy being a shuttle-cock once a month.

Anyone hear the rant from a guy who rode Tokai and was overtaken by a Ebike ?

Currently doing the rounds on what's app.

Apparently he got so upset he trashed the guys bike in the parking lot.

If it is the same one I'm thinking of it was a skit... just for the comedy of it.

Identity crisis this weekend - toiled up Spykers hill in the wind and didn't enjoy myself. Bombed down Trail Z and loved it --- toiled up to faircape and didn't have fun - bombed down trail q and loved it - halfway back up to the top of Faircape and not having much fun and resigning myself to not having any legs and deciding that I would take the tar downhill back to the carpark rather than tackle the big climb back to the top of hoogies, this thought popped in my head

If you can afford one, and want one, get it! Personally I love everything about e-bikes. If I could afford one I'd be bombing down Helderberg twice every morning and be back home before 7AM.

Just don't race it.

Identity crisis this weekend - toiled up Spykers hill in the wind and didn't enjoy myself. Bombed down Trail Z and loved it --- toiled up to faircape and didn't have fun - bombed down trail q and loved it - halfway back up to the top of Faircape and not having much fun and resigning myself to not having any legs and deciding that I would take the tar downhill back to the carpark rather than tackle the big climb back to the top of hoogies, this thought popped in my head

Remember to park in the designated parking bays with the blue stickers closer to the trail head. So much for 50.is the new 30. MAMIL? Pffft... OAPIL!

old and fake

In a previous post I mentioned the Emotorists challenging themselves by riding up steep tracks. This is a thing with eBikes. Watch an episode of EMBN. They need to build moto style courses for these guys to keep them off the dh tracks....

Friend spent a few months in Europe .... they bought ebikes, and his wife brought hers back to SA.

This thread has mentioned the 25km/h limit for road use in Europe .... apparently outdated regs.

They were told that the legal limit for road use in Europe is now 250W motors.  Which makes sense, since we know how easy it is to have the speed governer lifted .....

Going to be interesting to see how the regs change in the next years .....

They are SUPER impressed with their ebikes !!  Though my friend still use his standard road bike in SA.  Left his ebike in Europe ....

controlling the wattage is most likely the best way to govern the output / power of the bikes on the trails.

given the advances in battery life and lighter bikes, with a lower wattage motor would equal longer riding times?

Friend spent a few months in Europe .... they bought ebikes, and his wife brought hers back to SA.

This thread has mentioned the 25km/h limit for road use in Europe .... apparently outdated regs.

They were told that the legal limit for road use in Europe is now 250W motors.  Which makes sense, since we know how easy it is to have the speed governer lifted .....

Going to be interesting to see how the regs change in the next years .....

They are SUPER impressed with their ebikes !!  Though my friend still use his standard road bike in SA.  Left his ebike in Europe ....

controlling the wattage is most likely the best way to govern the output / power of the bikes on the trails.

given the advances in battery life and lighter bikes, with a lower wattage motor would equal longer riding times?

If I were in the market for an ebike I would want a lower wattage/higher ride time option. The bikes I have riden I have never seen the need for anything more than Eco mode (30%) - they are already rockets at that percentage.

If it were developed around that maybe we can see longer battery life times instead of just setting it to Eco? I don't know enough about batteries and motors to know if it would work like that?

But I fear the higher the wattage the higher the sales...

Screw that. If I’m going to go back to motor powered bikes, I’m going full KTM 990. Bugger this low wattage nonsense

• 2 weeks later...