Gravel bikes - what do you have and where did you buy it?

Myth

Hi guys

I am toying with the idea of converting my current HT (used mostly for commuting) to a gravel bike of sorts, but not sure about the impact on geometry.

Most of the bikes  have seen on this thread have road bike geometries and not the longer top tubes that MTB's have, I guess I could run a shorter stem?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

I am toying with the idea of converting my current HT (used mostly for commuting) to a gravel bike of sorts, but not sure about the impact on geometry.

Most of the bikes have seen on this thread have road bike geometries and not the longer top tubes that MTB's have, I guess I could run a shorter stem?

I use short stems on both my 'monstercross' bikes, converted MTB frames, as per a suggestion by @Jewbacca here on the hub I run 26" rigid forks on the 29" frames though. Definitely improves the geometry!

If you have any sort of mechanical sympathy, nothing quite prepares you for the sound your roadbike groupset makes after going through 2 deep water crossings like this during a ride :o  By man, it was fun :D

Cool photo. Rode through that little stream on Sunday  :P Luckily it was my old HT so was more concerned with keeping my feet dry than my groupset... 

Cool photo. Rode through that little stream on Sunday  :P Luckily it was my old HT so was more concerned with keeping my feet dry than my groupset... 

This one was fine but the second one got me... 40km's home in wet socks & shoes :oops:

If you have any sort of mechanical sympathy, nothing quite prepares you for the sound your roadbike groupset makes after going through 2 deep water crossings like this during a ride :o  By man, it was fun :D

I love my gravel bike but I must admit it blows my mind as well - riding Ultegra full of gravel and sand.

If I build another bike, it would be 1X with 10 speed XT.

Is it bad that I couldn't care that my groupset gets hauled through all manner of things in the pursuit of fun?

I mean, it's bike stuff, not some hallowed mystical object.

A spray down and a brush post ride and she is good to go!

Is it bad that I couldn't care that my groupset gets hauled through all manner of things in the pursuit of fun?

I mean, it's bike stuff, not some hallowed mystical object.

A spray down and a brush post ride and she is good to go!

BLASPHEMER ! 

I love my gravel bike but I must admit it blows my mind as well - riding Ultegra full of gravel and sand.

If I build another bike, it would be 1X with 10 speed XT.

Currently what I'm running. SRAM Red levers with an XO derailleur on a 10 speed SLX cassette. 42 tooth chainring up front. Gearing range covers 88% of riding. (88% because science)

Did this as a hack moons back when there wasn't really the number options available like now. GRX and SRAM's Apex come to mind as fantastic 1x options. Something I'd look at with and oval chainring up front.