Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is if you're riding out and about, and are pulled over by police or the military, will they attempt to arrest you; issue a fine; or direct you back home? I think the rules need to be made more clear, as I was really excited about a lonely, long ride out to Haarties in complete peace

How about you just assume the first option. To be safe.

If you join a group ride you can climb the Alpe before you get to level 12, so should be easy enough in this context. I need to work out how to host a group ride and we can make a plan

Wait for me - I gotta get to level 12 first. Getting dropped and riding in isolation - sounds like business as usual to me.

Couldn't agree more... it's as if life will come to an end if people don't get to do what they normally do.

People are selfish

We have for weeks said that our healthcare system will not cope.. now imagine some moron goes for a solo ride and donders down and needs emergency care.. now resources have to be sent to assist said moron, it just makes me so incredibly angry. This is why government have to deploy the army and pass emergency regulations because people can be selfish dcks... anyhow if they go for a cycle they are breaking the law and should just be thrown in jail or have their precious bikes confiscates.

Anyhow seeing as people cant be trusted I see CSA have released a statement/replied to enquiries NO NO NO YOU CAN'T GO FOR A RIDE.

Edited by Gen

My question is if you're riding out and about, and are pulled over by police or the military, will they attempt to arrest you; issue a fine; or direct you back home? I think the rules need to be made more clear, as I was really excited about a lonely, long ride out to Haarties in complete peace

Its not a rule, it's the law. a State of emergency was declared and you are only allowed to leave your house in order to get medical supplies or food unless your occupation falls within the essential category. If caught by the wrong harde gat cop you will be charged with contravention of the act and the wrong judicial court will make a fuss about it and you can end up in jail. The problem in South Africa is that the moment we go cycle against the rule of law as it stands now a lot of people will point to us and say " but what about my sport" and soon everybody will be outside and the point of lockdown will have no effect. Just stay indoors

Yes except it's not yet a state of emergency. This is all covered under the national disaster act. A state of emergency is a whole nother level of stuff we DO NOT want to go to.

Its not a rule, it's the law. a State of emergency was declared and you are only allowed to leave your house in order to get medical supplies or food unless your occupation falls within the essential category. If caught by the wrong harde gat cop you will be charged with contravention of the act and the wrong judicial court will make a fuss about it and you can end up in jail. The problem in South Africa is that the moment we go cycle against the rule of law as it stands now a lot of people will point to us and say " but what about my sport" and soon everybody will be outside and the point of lockdown will have no effect. Just stay indoors

Yes except it's not yet a state of emergency. This is all covered under the national disaster act. A state of emergency is a whole nother level of stuff we DO NOT want to go to.

And that is why people shouldn't do stupid things so that we dont get to a state of emergency.

It is so interesting to me how negotiating the rules seems a frequent response in this situation. Maybe it's human nature to make a tacit deal with the world that says if I follow the rules I'll be ok or for some of us to think that if we can push the limit of the rules we gain some advantage over life or others.

There is a deadly contagion in the world - the rules are for public health and the survival of the society's infrastructure. We have a legal and moral obligation to follow them in letter and spirit.

Individual survival is another matter altogether and relies on individual capacity to control and regulate exposure to the pathogen in the world and to limit access of the pathogen to one's individual space. Going riding may or may not be legal. If it is, I for one, will not be doing it until further notice.

Couldn't have put it better.

Correct, thanks for correcting. I was actually thinking of State of emergency and typed wrong. State of emergency allows for radical limitations to our rights of movement and if we are not going to adhere to the current regulations it can get worse and like you say we do not want to go there.

Maybe its time to auction my Cyclo Ops Fluid 2 IDT off.....anybody in PE looking for one??

I would be interested...but I am 1000km away

I would be interested...but I am 1000km away

i just cannot do the shipping thing(read lazy)..... do you need it a.s.a.p? Might be able to get a lift to somewhere in Cape Town (friend has a transport company)

I just saw something pretty cool, NTT are letting employees join a twice weekly event on Zwift to do training rides with the NTT pro team.

Nice idea for people stuck inside and wanting to get some exercise.

Are you an NTT employee?