Cyclist assaulted in Camps Bay

FootballingCyclist

Just being devils advocate here, but are we not becoming a pansy, litigious society. Dam I would have just chalked that up to whatever.

I really thing we need to grow a thicker skin, next we are going to complain about cyber bullying and name calling. We really have reached the bottom.

If this is allowed to continue until there is an accident because 'oh that's never happened before', would that be OK? I don't think so. It shouldn't happen at all.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is allowed to continue until there is an accident because 'oh that's never happened before', would that be OK? I don't think so. It shouldn't happen at all.

Agree !

I'm also not in favor of suing everything that move (like the Americans), but the fact remain, this is dangerous and can not be tolerated and hence allowed to escalate.

I must say, the little time I spend on the road to get to the dirt is pure agony, you have to constantly watch and observe every little thing, excuse the pun, you simply don't know what will hit you from behind out of the blue.

Maybe driving to a parking spot closer to the dirt is a better idea.  My sincere sympathy to all you roadies that don't have a choice but to endure the damn roads and the idiots on it.

Edited by Theog

Has there been a successful prosecution under the 1 metre law yet? I haven't been following that side of things for a while.

Impossible.

Those who are tasked to uphold said laws would rather sit in the shade with a speed camera.

Youre dreaming if you think there would have been a prosecution yet, its all just hype.

Do we apply special rules to related females that we should be applying to all humans but don't? And would the appeal be different if we thought of them as our husband/son/boyfriend/dad?  :unsure:

'Women and children first' comes to mind, ship sinking, building on fire etc.

Agree !

I'm also not in favor of suing everything that move (like the Americans), but the fact remain, this is dangerous and can not be tolerated and hence allowed to escalate.

I must say, the little time I spend on the road to get to the dirt is pure agony, you have to constantly watch and observe every little thing, excuse the pun, you simply don't know what will hit you from behind out of the blue.

Maybe driving to a parking spot closer to the dirt is a better idea. My sincere sympathy to all you roadies that don't have a choice but to endure the damn roads and the idiots on it.

Your sympathies are misplaced

I like my road bike and I like riding on the road

Just being devils advocate here, but are we not becoming a pansy, litigious society. Dam I would have just chalked that up to whatever.

I really thing we need to grow a thicker skin, next we are going to complain about cyber bullying and name calling. We really have reached the bottom.

On a similar note:

I have been cycling on a road that did not have a shoulder and was passed by too closely by a few rugby supporters in a double cab. I have them the hand (not the finger) and they turned around and we had a chat.

Net result is that I was tazed on my arm and they rode away laughing. 

That I also chalked up to experience. Yeas It would have been in my rights to lay a charge (we had the reg no)

But damn it is what it is. Deal with it.

I learnt that I need to check my routes (this is not one of those cases) and then just deal with it.

I really do not have time to deal with the legal system, nor the ability to afford time off work to deal with a petty thing like this.

Then again I do come from an older era. If I really wanted to do something about it they would have not see me in a blind ally or the vehicle would be keyed etc.

I am older now so we move one.

Millennials I tell you.

I get what you saying but two things come to mind

1) its easy to say "ag no one got hurt" and it was just a tap and to be honest if it was me on the bike i would've probably let it go.

problem with that is that if i fell or got hurt i would have wanted justice.

someone else could've ended up in a much worse place.

This could also easily happened to a newbie cyclist and an incident like this could easily turn people away from cycling.

Therefore I would disagree with letting it go (even if i am inclined to).  At a minimum awareness needs to be raised about why this behavior is wrong 

2) I know it shouldnt matter the Gender but this would infuriate me more if my Mother,Wife,Daughter or Sister was the victim of this behaviour.

Therefore trying to be "woke", and treat incident as it should be treated. Its disgusting behaviour that needs be dealt with even if it goes to court. If i wouldnt take it lying down if the victim was a close women in my family why should we take it lying down if its a man thats a victim.

Something needs to be done, to what extend i dont know. But behaviour like this cant go untreated.

Tomorrow its someone else who is not so lucky.

Has there been a successful prosecution under the 1 metre law yet? I haven't been following that side of things for a while.

I'm not aware of anyone being charged in violation of that rule even when contact has been made

Its kinda of pointless being a boytjie about poor behaviour. If you feel no need to want to defend yourself then good on you for having zero ego. Not everyone feels that way. There's enough bullying in schools and society at large so if we adopt your attitude then its really just a medieval free-for-all. Yeha lets all walk around with swords and lop heads off at will.

"Sticks and stones can break my bones but words should never hurt me " applies.

we take action when our physical being is impacted but we ignore the psychological effects and chalk it up to experience but its well known its the emotional damage that leads to problems further down the line. Ya people should be tougher but that comes at a cost to society. In this case condoning iflicting physcial harm on someone for laughs on a moronic social media platform shows that we're definitely evolving in the wrong direction

Your sympathies are misplaced

I like my road bike and I like riding on the road

Good for you.  That doesn't make it safe to be there (and thats what my sympathy was directed at, nothing else) ... or anywhere out on a bike for that matter. 

At least in the field I only need to watch out for bike robbers, and not idiots like these that think its funny to slap someone, in traffic on the road.

Edited by Theog

the problem with these kinda games, is that the next idiots will try and outdo theses idiots,and then very soon it's outta hand,remember the one punch knockout game,a few months ago,how many innocent people suffered permanent brain injuries from it ? sorry but you got to nip it in the bud before it becomes a game,

Its kinda of pointless being a boytjie about poor behaviour. If you feel no need to want to defend yourself then good on you for having zero ego. Not everyone feels that way. There's enough bullying in schools and society at large so if we adopt your attitude then its really just a medieval free-for-all. Yeha lets all walk around with swords and lop heads off at will.

"Sticks and stones can break my bones but words should never hurt me " applies.

we take action when our physical being is impacted but we ignore the psychological effects and chalk it up to experience but its well known its the emotional damage that leads to problems further down the line. Ya people should be tougher but that comes at a cost to society. In this case condoning iflicting physcial harm on someone for laughs on a moronic social media platform shows that we're definitely evolving in the wrong direction

Agreed. 

Why report a bike being stolen, or lay a charge against the thief. If someone holds you up at gun point and robs you, just toughen up and chalk it up to experience. 

For too long people have normalised such *** behavior. 

All it takes is a case like this for someone to go through a trial for assault and suddenly people realise that it wont be tolerated. 

Personal vendetta how?

I have/had nothing against any of them before this video was posted. I have never spent time with the abuser but have been around and have Mutual friends in common with the guy at the back. I have no personal issues with any of them other than the fact that they're clearly immature and reckless. Hope that clears it up.

And if you Not sure how thicker tyres and wider bars make a MTB more stable on the road, perhaps take your road bike to the MTB trails and that may help you understand the difference.

I'm not fighting with you dude, just stating how your posts have come across.

On the MTB thing, of course my road bike wont do so well offroad, thats not what it is designed for , big difference between riding hard tar vs sand/rock etc., that why you need the wider higher volume tyres. 

I'm not fighting with you dude, just stating how your posts have come across.

On the MTB thing, of course my road bike wont do so well offroad, thats not what it is designed for , big difference between riding hard tar vs sand/rock etc., that why you need the wider higher volume tyres.

If it came across that was it DEF was not supposed to and perhaps my frustration when typing the original post had a little something to do with it. I'm not fighting with you either, Just wanted to clear that up.

Also I know many many more people who as beginners would rather start on a MTB than a thin 25c wide road bike tyre with 42mm bars. A MTB in my opinion is alot more stable on the road than a Road bike is.

And if you Not sure how thicker tyres and wider bars make a MTB more stable on the road, .

I don't know anything about the thread at hand or the mudslinging therein, but I do know that you are riding your bike all wrong if this is something you believe.

I suggest a skills update is in order.

the problem with these kinda games, is that the next idiots will try and outdo theses idiots,and then very soon it's outta hand,remember the one punch knockout game,a few months ago,how many innocent people suffered permanent brain injuries from it ? sorry but you got to nip it in the bud before it becomes a game,

This is one of the main reasons I was hoping justice would be served. Remember a fee years ago when navy staff hit a cyclist with a sjambok out of a car window as the cyclist was going up Red Hill. If this case doesn't go the full distance, atleast the people will realise how stupid something Like this is. It's amusing to the small minded minority and if 10% of that minority can see that justice will be served or how serious their actions are, that's 10% more over to the "good side". And with everything today for kids being about "likes and follows", if this had been let slide, as said above, the next okes were going to try and outdo these guys and it would've been a downward spiral until someone ended up in hospital, or worse..