Transbaviaans 2022

DKS

Just now, milky4130 said:

Forgot to mention I started at 7am, in pouring rain not ideal. my clothing was base layer, short sleeve cycling shirt, arm warmers, gilet, rain jacket, I did not ever feel the need to strip anything at any time.

But I know you are old school, Kudos, not taking anything away from anyone that rode. Just commenting on all the twatter/crapface etc. posts.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not necessarily, for example ATP was rain & mud but temperatures were warmer. Next weeks TB more rain but much higher temp predicted than both yesterdays TP & ATP.

1 hour ago, Dicky DQ said:

Edit, Deleted post as it adds no value, except to rev up the Karens.

To tell people to take a cup of cement when you actually did the event is one thing… but to not have been there and saying the same thing is completely different in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Dicky DQ said:

Edit, Deleted post as it adds no value, except to rev up the Karens.

it’s almost 2023. I swear people must still make Vernon Koekemoer jokes.

Calling people ‘Karen’ is such a tired, lazy and passive aggressive insult. It’s almost like a new type of ‘race card’ i swear 😅

Have an opinion, polarising or not.
Some people will agree, others wont. And thats perfectly fine.

🤘

3 hours ago, Dicky DQ said:

But I know you are old school, Kudos, not taking anything away from anyone that rode. Just commenting on all the twatter/crapface etc. posts.

So, why bring your twatter/crapface comments here then ?
Rather go an be insulting, patronising and condescending there.

1 hour ago, splat said:

Does anyone know how many entrants vs starters vs finishers there were?

Results aren't up on the website yet.

Nothing offIcial but there about 300riders needing evacuation between cp1 and 2 already. 
would not surprised if the final tally is higher 

Hats off to everyone who finished.  This was my 4th Baviaans and I have never felt so cold on a bike. We didn't waste any time at the check points and just kept going after brief stops to stay warm. From cp 5 the conditions improved and we found a nice rhythm and finished just before sunset. The highlight of my day was the last km's on the single track that was dry.

Looking a the photos, it seems that racing with the least kit possible was the hope of many.

Baviaans is cold this time of the year - I experienced -5 degrees last year as the sun was coming up in another race.

If you roll the dice on the amount of waterproof (not water resistant) and warm kit you are going to pack, then you must know that you will suffer painfully or pull the plug.

I think some of the language is a bit descriptive/ emotive. For me 'evacuation' is life threatening transport to nearest medical facility , not I've made a silly kit choice and now I need a warm blanky/ fireside heatup and lift out.

Time to have mandatory kit inspection in bike races as they do with trail running. 

27 minutes ago, tubed said:

Looking a the photos, it seems that racing with the least kit possible was the hope of many.

Baviaans is cold this time of the year - I experienced -5 degrees last year as the sun was coming up in another race.

If you roll the dice on the amount of waterproof (not water resistant) and warm kit you are going to pack, then you must know that you will suffer painfully or pull the plug.

I think some of the language is a bit descriptive/ emotive. For me 'evacuation' is life threatening transport to nearest medical facility , not I've made a silly kit choice and now I need a warm blanky/ fireside heatup and lift out.

Time to have mandatory kit inspection in bike races as they do with trail running. 

I wasn't there so I don't like to judge, but this was my thought.

I've ridden bikes in well below freezing, wet, snow, super high altitude etc and with the right kit it can be bearable. 

Rain and mud is always unpleasant, but some proper thermals, a fleece, some plastic bags and a rain jacket and you can race for ages.

In 2012 I raced a 24 hour race in Newcastleton in snow and some horrible rain. The warmest temperature we hit in the 24 hours was 2' and it hit -6 at night. Muddy, wet, hideous. I had plastic bags over my feet, newspaper taped to my whole body, jiffy bags under my gloves and fleece lined thermal longs and top under a rain jacket. 

One should have sufficient clothing and coverage, especially given the forecast. It wasn't a surprise. The conditions were discussed nearly a week before the event.  

5 minutes ago, madmarc said:

So after checking out all the race reports, photos and videos from yesterday event i I unpacked my winter cycling kit and think i found the right mix for next weekends repeat. Still need to find 1 glove though.

image.png.703489ac9de5e20ff1b7340013a3d50f.png

be prepared to be chased by the anatolian sheepdogs of the Baviaans😆

38 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

One should have sufficient clothing and coverage, especially given the forecast. It wasn't a surprise. The conditions were discussed nearly a week before the event. 

This is very true - with the accuracy of the weather forecasts nowadays, you really cannot complain when you line up unprepared.