Where has your bike taken you today?

An3

Rode in the rain this morning and while it was horrible, it was also exhilarating at the same time. It’s been a while since I last got rained on while out riding, so it makes it rather unique when it does happen.

Will I do the 140Km planned for tomorrow, if it’s raining again like this morning? Probably not, but I’ll still go out, even if it’s on the knobblies and I end up with a quarter of the mileage. I have some of the gear to make it bearable, yet hardly ever use it as it hardly ever rains (proper) on a ride.

Not cycling related, but I did a dirtbike ride once where it started out hot as hell and by mid ride it started raining, then started hailing, then got moer hot again, and is still one of the best and most memorable rides I have ever done, sometimes less than ideal conditions make best adventures

• Replies 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• NotSoBigBen

Top Posters In This Topic

With the recent flooding I wonder which roads are available now ?  Seemed like some serious flooding in Meiringspoort ....

SURE Arno did advise him of the current options though ....

Often Swartberg is closed for vehicles, but they let cycles through ....

EDIT .... I see Arno did assist with options

Any feedback on the condition of Meiringspoort ?

Meiringspoort is open . What happens is when there are heavy downpours South of Beaufort West the runoff water goes towards Meringspoort and the Poort fills up . The road gets covered in mud and debris and usually the Poort is closed for hours not days . A friend who was the senior partner at Aurecon who did the last rebuild of the road through the Poort explained to me the corners were designed to take heavy loads of water and remain intact . Since that rebuild the Poort has seen may huge floods and the road stays intact and without damage , save for the debris but gets cleared quickly .

Ride around Prince Albert. Lynskey club. Thank you Sir. Great ride.

Copperhead are you aboard a Ridgeline?

Ride around Prince Albert. Lynskey club. Thank you Sir. Great ride.

Copperhead are you aboard a Ridgeline?

Meiringspoort is open . What happens is when there are heavy downpours South of Beaufort West the runoff water goes towards Meringspoort and the Poort fills up . The road gets covered in mud and debris and usually the Poort is closed for hours not days . A friend who was the senior partner at Aurecon who did the last rebuild of the road through the Poort explained to me the corners were designed to take heavy loads of water and remain intact . Since that rebuild the Poort has seen may huge floods and the road stays intact and without damage , save for the debris but gets cleared quickly .

Thats very good news.

That pass is a vital link.

That and the fact that all the crossings are low level causeways that are designed to be inundated during a storm event. The problem with the frequent flooding at Meiringspoort is due to the vegetation in the main channel and floodplains that cause blockages at the culverts which in turn causes flooding.

What trickery is this??How does it do this?

I have no idea and I didn’t look into it any further as I don’t gopro but it’s just amazing.

I'm becoming desperate. Rain the whole week... and another week of rain forecast....

Maybe it's the weekend for route badge hunting on zwift...

Go play squash

Do some speed and fitness training on court

Then play a best of 5

Then get out the kayak and go play in river

Edited by Kranswurm

Nice early start .... almost a full moon looking through the cloud cover ....

post-110956-0-30260600-1612001971_thumb.jpg

Nice ride to get to the start of the trails ....

post-110956-0-03305100-1612001991_thumb.jpg

Oatlands corridior, the new section, truly is a nice addition to the network.

post-110956-0-58524600-1612002034_thumb.jpg

Entering Conties along the road many vehicles, with bikes, came past me.

post-110956-0-89917200-1612002108_thumb.jpg

Full lap of Conties, then up to the mast.  WOW !!  the trails got busy very quickly !!  Three groups of about 10 riders each on the way up.  And then another large group came FLYING down .... those guys were MOVING !  :eek:

post-110956-0-19742100-1612002136_thumb.jpg

40km later, time for a morning coffee at Bloemendal.  Full lap of D'Aria and Bloemendal, then back via Traverse.

post-110956-0-38531400-1612002229_thumb.jpg

PERFECT weather ..... lots of riders......  stunning vibe ..... truly a memorable day out on the trails.  :clap:

THANKS to Patric and his elves for all the hard work repairing the trails.   :thumbup:

Nice little lap .... 

post-110956-0-53089600-1612002650_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisF