Cycling legend

fandacious

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked before who here sticks to that. Resounding silence. All model citizens here.

You been unbanned? Congrats

• 4 months later...

Ek het toevallig op hierdie gesprek afgekom. Baie dankie vir al die mooi woorde van persone wat ek op een of ander manier kon aanmoedig.

Dan vir daardie arseholes wat hulself Strava polisie noem, wanneer ek 'commute' neersit vir my rit tydens lockdown, dan WAS dit 'n besigheidsrit. Ek verwonder my oor die gemaksug wat mense het om 'n 15-20 min besigheidsafspraak per motor te doen as hulle dit per fiets kon doen. Gelukkig, my kliënte is bereid om my natgesweet te sien. My vraag is, hoekom dit nie op Strava plaas nie? Daar is niks om weg te steek nie. Met die nodige dokumentasie as essensiële diensverskaffer was/is ek geregtig om ENIGE vervoermiddel te gebruik. Dit was ook vooraf uitgeklaar. Ek stel voor dat mense bietjie meer inisiatief gebruik en nie met oogklappe deur die lewe gaan nie. Jou fiets is ook jou vervoermiddel. Daar is veel meer belangriker dinge in die lewe as om te komkommer oor wie waar en wanneer êrens heen gery het. 

Ek het toevallig op hierdie gesprek afgekom. Baie dankie vir al die mooi woorde van persone wat ek op een of ander manier kon aanmoedig.

Dan vir daardie arseholes wat hulself Strava polisie noem, wanneer ek 'commute' neersit vir my rit tydens lockdown, dan WAS dit 'n besigheidsrit. Ek verwonder my oor die gemaksug wat mense het om 'n 15-20 min besigheidsafspraak per motor te doen as hulle dit per fiets kon doen. Gelukkig, my kliënte is bereid om my natgesweet te sien. My vraag is, hoekom dit nie op Strava plaas nie? Daar is niks om weg te steek nie. Met die nodige dokumentasie as essensiële diensverskaffer was/is ek geregtig om ENIGE vervoermiddel te gebruik. Dit was ook vooraf uitgeklaar. Ek stel voor dat mense bietjie meer inisiatief gebruik en nie met oogklappe deur die lewe gaan nie. Jou fiets is ook jou vervoermiddel. Daar is veel meer belangriker dinge in die lewe as om te komkommer oor wie waar en wanneer êrens heen gery het. 

I'm just going to leave this here....

Se hulle oom Wimpie

post-42568-0-70150300-1600197009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craai

Dagse Oom,

I'm the biggest type of supporter of bicycle commuting there is, but I can't agree with you here. Doing massive rides to go see clients during hard lockdown was taking the piss of the whole scenario. We all wanted to ride our bikes, I had permits too and drove when I had to, but mostly stayed at home.

You got away with it, well done.

Putting it up for the public to see was definitely irresponsible. It takes one person to stuff it up for the other 99.

You got away with it, well done.

I'm sure the empty roads were awesome.

I don't mean any disrespect to you or your legacy here, but see this scenario totally differently and life would be boring if our opinions didn't deviate. Keep in smashing those everests

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I did not make the laws, but operated and still fully operate within the ambit of the law. I am not defending myself, because there is nothing to defend, but hope to clear up due to lack of information. If it is irresponsible to operate as essential service deliverer, in my case as health practitioner, why not lie the issue at the door of Ramaphosa or Zuma? Why blame the person who operates fully in the scope of the laws that were laid down? I think you will agree that a double standard is being applied here.

Why would it be irresponsible to place it on Strava? This is a medium where people keep track of training, not to impress other or chase KOM’s. I have a suspicion that a couple of aspects have become apparent. The venom is either from jealousy from cyclists who feel the lack of being on the road too, or fear, the fear to think out of the box and who are cemented in political correctness, because they could face the backlash of persons who are PC, as shown in this case. Don’t tell me it is about health and a pandemic. That is a hoax. That has now been disproven, but it is a totally different conversation. Cycling on an open road has as much danger to contract or spread any virus as sitting in a car.

I hope this topic has been exhausted and that we can focus on more positive stuff like cycling. Remember, becoming successful in anything in life demands to stand out. Sometimes this mean standing out as a sore thumb, making you very visible. As someone mentioned, it is the highest trees that catch the wind. Doing what I am doing is not to purposefully try and place one step after the other, but through repetition has already become instinctively. It is a lifestyle. Don’t take no for an answer. If you do, you will accept the limitations placed on you. You will subject yourself to circumstances and the whims of others. See the impossible as a challenge. God might have been waiting for a person like you to do the impossible and who is ignorant that it is impossible. Never allow turkeys to speak into the life of eagles, but first determine which one of the two you are.

Edited by WimpievdM

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I did not make the laws, but operated and still fully operate within the ambit of the law. I am not defending myself, because there is nothing to defend, but hope to clear up due to lack of information. If it is irresponsible to operate as essential service deliverer, in my case as health practitioner, why not lie the issue at the door of Ramaphosa or Zuma? Why blame the person who operates fully in the scope of the laws that were laid down? I think you will agree that a double standard is being applied here.

Why would it be irresponsible to place it on Strava? This is a medium where people keep track of training, not to impress other or chase KOM’s. I have a suspicion that a couple of aspects have become apparent. The venom is either from jealousy from cyclists who feel the lack of being on the road too, or fear, the fear to think out of the box and who are cemented in political correctness, because they could face the backlash of persons who are PC, as shown in this case. Don’t tell me it is about health and a pandemic. That is a hoax. That has now been disproven, but it is a totally different conversation. Cycling on an open road has as much danger to contract or spread any virus as sitting in a car.

I hope this topic has been exhausted and that we can focus on more positive stuff like cycling. Remember, becoming successful in anything in life demands to stand out. Sometimes this mean standing out as a sore thumb, making you very visible. As someone mentioned, it is the highest trees that catch the wind. Doing what I am doing is not to purposefully try and place one step after the other, but through repetition has already become instinctively. It is a lifestyle. Don’t take no for an answer. If you do, you will accept the limitations placed on you. You will subject yourself to circumstances and the whims of others. See the impossible as a challenge. God might have been waiting for a person like you to do the impossible and who is ignorant that it is impossible. Never allow turkeys to speak into the life of eagles, but first determine which one of the two you are.

ok I'll bite because you seem to think that you're right and if a traffic cop says it's ok the law doesn't apply to you.

a)was it legal? let's take this example that has been posted here.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3433743570

so you rode all the way to genadendal and back, and didn't really stop

so what were you doing for business?

must have been dropping something off, because if it was for a meeting/advice you could have done it over the phone.

so what's this "essential services business" you're involved in.

so following this link from this page too

https://inthebunch.co.za/2020/05/wimpie-van-der-merwe-my-bike-is-my-business/ I see you do this:

http://www.impactsolutions.co.za/

you sell holistic water purification and stem cell products. Calling yourself a "health practiticioner" is a massive step and injustice to those doing actual healthcare.

that is not an essential service*

you just went to the cipc site and filled in the form, that only said you have registered.

if challenged there's is no way your business could be considered essential, and the "delivery" to genadendal could be considered essential.

you chose to use a very ropey loophole to go ride your bike.

b)why i think it was irresponsible to post on strava

it's a pandemic, rules are there and they suck. go and bend some and freedoms get taken away from those complying. if the powers saw hey this guy is taking these rules as a joke, no more cycling for anyone then we'd all lose out. so by posting to strava publicly you put our cycling liberties at risk. it just took one d005 to call a landowner a chop and the trail in tygerberg got shutdown for all.

I'm aware of strava and am apaid up member of it, all your justification of it's uses was possible by not making the ride public.

c)why I'm writing this.

This issue was dead, you revived it yesterday so don't now decide it's over 12 hours later.

You are pretending to be some sort of advocate for change/injustice but then hiding behind some bollocks "essential service" excuse. Be an activist or don't  - flip flopping is cowardly.

*I'm making some broad assumptions from my experience of being in a business that wasn't defined as an essential service, but was required to support bona fide essential services. If I've got it wrong by following the trail from inthebunch then I'll retract.

• 1 year later...
5 minutes ago, ouzo said:

anyone still following Wimpie on Stava ?

He did an insane ride yesterday

image.png.e42b760f7bb2545ede10eba124fff650.png

and some crazy stats for 2021

image.png.26103db0e1961787c3cd2b3b615c0ac9.png

This toppie is insane, full stop. I started following him when I read an article about him in Bicycling mag some years ago. He was an hour world record holder, and regularly holds what I consider to be big watts, not even taking his age into consideration. 

4 hours ago, ouzo said:

anyone still following Wimpie on Stava ?

He did an insane ride yesterday

image.png.e42b760f7bb2545ede10eba124fff650.png

and some crazy stats for 2021

image.png.26103db0e1961787c3cd2b3b615c0ac9.png

Wimpie is close to retirement age or already working reduced hrs for many years, so these stats aren't that WOW.  He's got lots of time.

17 hours ago, Underachiever said:

Wimpie is close to retirement age or already working reduced hrs for many years, so these stats aren't that WOW.  He's got lots of time.

There's always that one guy that is just incapable of acknowledging a good effort without throwing shade