Read every single post.

Loving this thread.

uh huh....(wink wink)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough. If the host gets sozzled, I probably won't go back for a Braai. I'm not a fan of drunk people.

I was having a rare treat on Saturday night, braaing a couple of 1Kg T-bones for me and the family, when my thoughts went to wondering where the hell all my 'buddies' went, and why the hell I was braaing alone.

Then it hit me - I'm over the dronk phase. And I don't have time for dronkies and their *** stories. Sad but true, just about everyone I knew from school/varsity/work buddies fall into that category nowadays. Can't have fun if they don't get dik gesuip.

I was having a rare treat on Saturday night, braaing a couple of 1Kg T-bones for me and the family, when my thoughts went to wondering where the hell all my 'buddies' went, and why the hell I was braaing alone.

Then it hit me - I'm over the dronk phase. And I don't have time for dronkies and their *** stories. Sad but true, just about everyone I knew from school/varsity/work buddies fall into that category nowadays. Can't have fun if they don't get dik gesuip.

I could not state this any better. 

I use a Weber and Briquettes, does that qualify me as a braai'er? lol. I've braai'ed with wood before, but I just find it more convenient using Briquettes. We don't braai very often, and my braai'ing skills are limited to doing chicken, chops (lamb and pork), and wors. My old man passed away when I was 10, so after that, my immediate family didn't braai too much. I've got two braai recipe books though, I think I need to get stuck into them one of these days.

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

I have I suppose what you can call a braai room. Everyone rocks up and parks off here. I still need to add a basin and tap, the facility is there. When we finished braai'ng then we just add more wood and keep a fire going.

My weber is probably 20years old. When we want to braai quick, I make a small wood fire in my braai. The weber is reserved for smoking, and roasting. 

Edited by Eddy Gordo

my group of buddies, some from as far back as sub-a are the complete opposite. Sure we have quite a few beers/wines, but no-one gets pissed.

Come to think of it, most of my school buddies I haven't seen in 20 years. The guys I really miss are the couple in the States and Oz. Old work buddies moved all over the show. Current colleagues aren't people I'd be seen in public with :)

I have I suppose what you can call a braai room. Everyone rocks up and parks off here. I still need to add a basin and tap, the facility is there. When we finished braai'ng then we just add more wood and keep a fire going.

My weber is probably 20years old. When we want to braai quick, I make a small wood fire in my braai. The weber is reserved for smoking, and roasting. 

I too have a braai room and a stainless steel bmw as well as a weber. The weber has probably not been used in the last 6 years...the stainless went for a spin last weekend, and it was good fun to braai outside for a chagne again. The braai room sees most of the action these days. Thinking of adding a separate beer fridge and dart board soon.

One that this thread makes very clear, is that some people that braaing very seriously....  very seriously. Rules seem almost as strict as Roady Kit etiquette.

Exactly.

Rule#5 HTFU = Heat That Fire Up.

You can't braai if you made your fire too small and you run out of coals.

my group of buddies, some from as far back as sub-a are the complete opposite. Sure we have quite a few beers/wines, but no-one gets pissed.

Same, that's probably the reason I have more friends that are 10 or more years older than me :huh:

Same, that's probably the reason I have more friends that are 10 or more years older than me :huh:

They're grooming you, lad.  :eek:

Next thing you know they're inviting you over to their place, plying you with dop and shoving their braai tongs in your hand and telling you to handle their wors. 

Here's a pro-tip if you get invited to a braai and the host gets sloshed before even lighting the fire:

Go inside and knob his wife while she's "preparing the potato salad".

You'll never have to worry about being invited again.

#confused# is to 'knob' her to 'bonk' her backwards?