Stuff you learn(t) the hard way by being your own mechanic

anybody seen george?

another thing you learn the hard way.....

a bicycle is basically an intricately arranged amalgamation of S&M objects that wants to cut you to shreds.....lovingly. You WILL bleed after working on your bike...but you forget as soon as you are done....and come back for more next time.

Edited by morneS555

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what I learned the hard way... a 10sp chain fitted by the bike shop will work on an 11sp drivetrain, but it sounds like stirring a bucket of rusty spanners. Also learned the hard way: other bike shops won't pick that up...

As a laaitie I once stripped open a screw on freebody (yes, many years ago) to clean it, and ball bearings went everywhere. Some of them are still missing. That went to the lbs to sort out.

I've fitted many a tyre the wrong way round.

A patched tube will disappoint you. In a race. Costing you your first podium.

There is a difference between red loctite and blue loctite. Red loctite and ali bolts don't work. You will learn to love a drill.

my blonde moment: making a DIY tubeless tire sealant injector - you know the one that injects through the valve with valve core removed - Good Idea. Bad Idea however: forgetting to deflate tire first before connecting (now full) injector.... yeah, 1 bar homemade sealant sprayer anyone.  :huh:  

Jip............same experience.

My wife never loved me again the same way................

As a laaitie I once stripped open a screw on freebody (yes, many years ago) to clean it, and ball bearings went everywhere. Some of them are still missing. That went to the lbs to sort out.

I've fitted many a tyre the wrong way round.

A patched tube will disappoint you. In a race. Costing you your first podium.

There is a difference between red loctite and blue loctite. Red loctite and ali bolts don't work. You will learn to love a drill.

This.... Especially if the 1st one didn't want to bead and I am annoyed.

Also, PUT YOUR TOOLS ON A TRAY! 

The amount of times I've been interrupted, then spent 45 minutes looking for the tool I had in my hand, still need and now cannot locate is ridiculous.....

Years ago my buddy and I were our own mechanics. 

Anyhoo, he'd been having bearing trouble and I mean serious trouble, fit new ones two weeks later the same thing. So the Friday evening we put on some tunes and we go on stripping and he takes out the old ones and the bearing cage has completely deformed so he cleans out greases the new bearings up and replaces them and I take a look and say stop. 

I asked if this is the way he'd been fitting them all the time and he says yes proudly... Turns out he'd been fitting them "back to front" it didn't line up and he just thought he needed to tighten it to bed in properly!

The amount of times I've been interrupted, then spent 45 minutes looking for the tool I had in my hand, still need and now cannot locate is ridiculous.....

Ever do that thing where you put a tool in your pocket and then walk around the garage looking for the tool you swear you PUT down here a few mins ago?

it's always obvious that someone else took it and hid it from you. Go to the nearest person and ask them where they put your tool :D  :blush: 

PS: if i spend 2 hours working on a bike atleast 25% is allocated to looking for misplaced tools haha

Ever do that thing where you put a tool in your pocket and then walk around the garage looking for the tool you swear you PUT down here a few mins ago?

ive even spent time looking for tools while still holding said tool in other hand :ph34r:

another thing you learn the hard way.....

a bicycle is basically an intricately arranged amalgamation of S&M objects that wants to cut you to shreds.....lovingly. You WILL bleed after working on your bike...but you forget as soon as you are done....and come back for more next time.

Lol, yeah I got my finger caught in the disc rotor whilst trying to align the caliper. It cut straight through my nail, and then some further into the nail bed. All this while saying to myself, now don't be a ****ing idiot and let your finger slip into that spinning rotor. 

Pressfit BB's can be a nightmare...

A trick I learnt from my father in-law is to first apply a thin layer of tubby glue to the BB shell and allow to dry for 24 hours.

Once dry, press in the new BB. This takes up any play in the tolerances, either due to manufacture or wear from prior BB removal and installations. 

I use a polyurethane sealant to fit any Press fit cups. It still allows one to remove said BB cups in future.