Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

What troubles me alot is i read somewhere this morning that if we reach our peak circa end aug we can go back to hard lockdown. Think Karim said it on News 24... now that would suck big time..

A series of lock downs can occur and many experts are aligned with the concept. Problem is that they need to sort out how wide spread the virus actually is. Current stats are heavily skewed by insufficient testing globally (again don't trust what Trump says).

Bigger problem in SA is typically the NCC can't decide on next steps and seem to be trying to work Tito out which is placing the 500Billion aid package under threat. Tito wants to open faster and naturally the collective has to be opposed because you know interests of the country is outweighed by the ANC ego.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to say something more controversial than Carona is a hoax now.

The best wave in South Africa is not Supers. It's on the KZN South Coast.

Sometimes, but not best day vs best day

I have lived in both areas and surfed extensively - But given the choice, South coast over Jbay 99/100 times, but that 1 time at Supers..............

Nicest mellowest people on the South Coast KZN, sad to see its decline but the waves are still there, less crowded than ever

After a week of exercise I noticed a few  changes since last Friday. 

First, there were fewer people out between 6h30 and 8h30, more people wore masks, fewer cyclists were in groups of  three or more - most had at least a buff over their neck/face.

Runners were single or in pairs and masks were of the order of the day.

Dog walkers were predominately in family groups, often with a child on a bike alongside. Most wore masks.

One large Doberman took a dump on a pavement and his owner chose to look the other way. As it was on the Gupta's driveway, I took that as the responsible thing to do.

A series of lock downs can occur and many experts are aligned with the concept. Problem is that they need to sort out how wide spread the virus actually is. Current stats are heavily skewed by insufficient testing globally (again don't trust what Trump says).

Bigger problem in SA is typically the NCC can't decide on next steps and seem to be trying to work Tito out which is placing the 500Billion aid package under threat. Tito wants to open faster and naturally the collective has to be opposed because you know interests of the country is outweighed by the ANC ego.

'the natives are restless'

I want to see everyone go back into a hard lockdown situation all meek and mild like the first time...

Sometimes, but not best day vs best day

I have lived in both areas and surfed extensively - But given the choice, South coast over Jbay 99/100 times, but that 1 time at Supers..............

Nicest mellowest people on the South Coast KZN, sad to see its decline but the waves are still there, less crowded than ever

Yeah man, I was in Toti last year. Daaaaayum that place has gone down the tubes. Was a lekker cheap time up there though with those low Southern Durban prices.

I went out for the first time this morning, on my big rig, to get some supplies at the local checkers while also getting a bit of a pedal in. Wasn't busy at all, but I'm sure it would have been busier 5 days ago. Most people wearing masks, but very few of em wearing them properly. I had mine on and it's really not that bad at all. Yeah, you breathe slightly harder but it's not horrible. 

I went out for the first time this morning, on my big rig, to get some supplies at the local checkers while also getting a bit of a pedal in. Wasn't busy at all, but I'm sure it would have been busier 5 days ago. Most people wearing masks, but very few of em wearing them properly. I had mine on and it's really not that bad at all. Yeah, you breathe slightly harder but it's not horrible. 

Practical question, how much do you purchase? Just enough to fit in the backpack?

Or do you have additional storage on the bike? 

I'll be keen to do this from time to time. I'll even stick to the Pre 9AM requirement to keep everyone happy.

Practical question, how much do you purchase? Just enough to fit in the backpack?

I'll be keen to do this from time to time. I'll even stick to the Pre 9AM requirement to keep everyone happy.

That .... AND, where do you store the bike while in shop ?

I remember those secure bike racks at the shops in Potchefstroom ....  Would LOVE some security for my bike when in shop .... I will gladly cycle past many shops to go support that ONE that takes the initiative to provide some security

Yep. Just enough to fit in the backpack. It's been fine for me 'cos I don't really eat that much at the moment and I've been plundering my freezer's stocks. It's one of those yellow virgin active bags, so pretty small.  

Okay, now that you've seen it's not so bad, forget about the Joeys and go ride your bike. You still have a Forum name to change!

That .... AND, where do you store the bike while in shop ?

I remember those secure bike racks at the shops in Potchefstroom ....  Would LOVE some security for my bike when in shop .... I will gladly cycle past many shops to go support that ONE that takes the initiative to provide some security

There's a few steel I-beams supporting the roof structure, so I take out my chain and lock. 

It's a mahoosive chain (went to Builders, chose the thickest chain they had at the time (and which they don't stock anymore) and told them to cut it while I watched. They battled, properly. So that chain wrapped in 2 layers of old innertube, with one of these boys as a lock

6001843171661-1-pdpxl.jpg

There's a distinct difference in the Oxygen requirement when riding at 90bpm down the shop and doing hill repeats at 170bpm...

Anything over tempo and you're starting to suck that mask into your mouth so the levels of discomfort will vary.

I can't breathe through my mask when doing maximal efforts up Boyes Drive or Ou Kaapse Weg. Even the Buff is more than a mild inconvenience.

Had a really LEKKA ride this morning.  Out the door at 6:00.

Nearly 10km done before I started seeing other bikes out on the road.  While more before I saw runners.

There was one spot with about 8 runners, spread over maybe 50m.  Safety in numbers, and perfect social distancing.

Then the dog walkers started coming out ....

Thinking back, maybe 50% actually wore their masks properly.  Many had masks around their necks ... a few had no masks ....

Frankly, past caring about "them" .... I keep my eyes open for the blithering ID10t's.  Then just take a wide line around them.

I am out there to ENJOY myself, not to police idiots\rebels\??.

I just keep extra distance between myself and the mindless .... uhm, sorry, the mask-less .....

The mask-less could not care less about my hart rate or rightious indignation, even less about me moaning on social media .... in fact, they display the same mentality as a taxi driver- which starts laughing when you hoot at them for driving like an idiot .... I have long since decided to stop giving taxi drivers that satisfaction, time to do the same with the mask-less rebels ....

I will MUCH rather fill my memories with the sight of a mom, dad and their 6 year old son cycling together, or this dad and his slightly older son putting in a very respectable ride early morning.   :clap:   :thumbup:

post-110956-0-74814600-1588930420_thumb.jpg

There's a distinct difference in the Oxygen requirement when riding at 90bpm down the shop and doing hill repeats at 170bpm...

Anything over tempo and you're starting to suck that mask into your mouth so the levels of discomfort will vary.

I can't breathe through my mask when doing maximal efforts up Boyes Drive or Ou Kaapse Weg. Even the Buff is more than a mild inconvenience.

Or you need a better mask/fitness.

Suck it up cupcake  :P  My lazy butt managed a 10km run yesterday wearing a buff with agv. HR over 170  :blink: Not too shabby. So a couple of hill repeats where ya touch 170/180 but then rest on the roll down are a small price to pay. It sucked initially but you acclimate.

Also this 6-9 thing is a load of hond *** if nobody has said it before.