Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

buffs are actually worse, they wick the sweat from your head down to your face hence the waterboarding effect.

Anatomic or similar are the way to go. Reality is a good mask has minimal effect. I have been within 20s of my 5km pb a few times in a mask so it is possible.

Interesting to see Sweden starting to question herd immunity a bit.

buffs are actually worse, they wick the sweat from your head down to your face hence the waterboarding effect.

I reckon everyone is different. I've been riding with one for years in cold weather and never experienced the effect you speak of.

The last few weeks in warm weather was no different.

Anatomic or similar are the way to go. Reality is a good mask has minimal effect. I have been within 20s of my 5km pb a few times in a mask so it is possible.

Don't masks also accumulate all the breath moisture/condensation? (head-sweats aside, just talking about breathing)

I've always imagined the buff was best because you can just rotate it around slightly and you get a dry area again, 20 mins later turn again, and on and on

Using a buff instead of a mask also means that you can pull it down to have a drink

not now, only from the 1st of june, and the 5km should also be lifted according to mosts people's understanding.

I never meant now now ... lol but you get what I meant

Thanks

I reckon everyone is different. I've been riding with one for years in cold weather and never experienced the effect you speak of.

The last few weeks in warm weather was no different.

I also have no real issue with a Buff, also been riding for years with one. If it get too wet around the mouth just give it a twist around your neck and you should be good for another 2 hrs or so.

I'm confused now, when I first moved in to SA, I thought now now meant even more now than now (like right now), but then I understood that on Cape town time, it means more "maybe later... inch'allah".

Now you said you never meant now now, but we're talking now now as it's probably going to happen later, or not :D

I'm confused now, when I first moved in to SA, I thought now now meant even more now than now (like right now), but then I understood that on Cape town time, it means more "maybe later... inch'allah".

Now you said you never meant now now, but we're talking now now as it's probably going to happen later, or not :D

Cape town is the MOTHER city .... since everything takes at least nine months ....

"now" and "now now" are both just indicators of something that may happen in the very distant future ...

what idiot wears the buff on his head and over his face? Clever folks wear it like a scar pulled up over the mouth and nose.

hahaha nothing to do with "cape town time"....though as an ex GP'er I now know both sides of the preconceived perceptions - most of which are untrue. 

NOW vs NOW-NOW:

It's because of how it is used in the Afrikaans language and has been appropriated by the other local languages - probably less successful in this case. 

"Nou" (now) means what you think....as in imminently. 

"Nou-nou" (now now) generally denotes a slight delay before starting....as in soon - totally irrational right? But hey, other languages have male and female pots and kettles and toilet paper lol....

if I had to put a timeframe on "now-now"...i'd say it could probably be something ambiguous like "before midday",  "before lunch" or "before the end of the day" - depending on when you use it. It doesn't really imply punctuality. It normally never gets used in a way that implies "tomorrow" though.

imo very few Afrikaans people even use it in its english appropriated form when switching to over to english,  It's clumsiness as a phrase becomes more evident there so we just "talk brits"...

Edited by morneS555