Bloody drunkard

NotSoBigBen

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to derail this thread but the way this happened is something i ALWAYS have in the back of my mind when riding and it hit me quite hard when i read it.

I do my best to ride on pavements, cycle lanes or where they don't exist - as close to the road shoulder as humanly possible on n mtb -  just to remove myself from road traffic as best I can. I have been hit by cars twice in my life while riding and know by now that there is no point being passive aggressive about a piece of road on a bicycle when you are up against cars, no matter how entitled you think you are. You will lose every single time.

But even riding well out of the way, I also know that i am 100% also at the 'mercy' of the person that approaches me from he rear in a car. Maybe they are on their phone, maybe they are preoccupied or day dreaming, maybe they have road rage, maybe they sneeze, maybe they are drunk....

On Sunday i was riding contermans road and two guys on superbikes were doing 'time trials' on that piece of road. Up and down up and down. They probably passed me around 4 times going up and down. As I heard the front bike approach every time, and was somewhere on the outside of a corner,  I realised that I was placing my faith 100% in the notion that I hoped he knew what he was doing and not going to loose control of that thing right at the wrong time.....

it doesn't matter where we ride on the road anymore....and it seriously sucks. its becoming to risky to even ride to the trail networks these days.

Thanks guys for the support. It helps to fill the void left by the loss of our Steve.

I have however not lost all confidence in the justice system. I am sure that they will ultimately lock him up and throw the key away.

good luck ahead of this rough time. I hope that the presence of the other pedestrians and maybe even a security/gate guard provides enough witnesses/evidence to let justice run its course in this case.

Thanks guys for the support. It helps to fill the void left by the loss of our Steve.

I have however not lost all confidence in the justice system. I am sure that they will ultimately lock him up and throw the key away.

My daughter worked for your son until recently.Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family.

Good idea , problem is the majority of vehicles are financed and technically belongs to the finance house and once confiscated the finance house loses their security . So they will be the biggest objectors to such a process . I see no harm in a dronkgat paying off a car that he does not have anymore . The insurance companies should also come to the party . They should as a collective refuse to insure anyone who has had a claim where alcohol was involved . That will result in banks refusing to finance a car . A vehicle is no less of a potential murder weapon than a firearm and if someone can be declared unfit to own a firearm for life why not same with vehicles ?

This is all assuming that they have been found guilty first. Seems to me that it is this part that is currently missing in the process.

This guy seems to like day drinking.

posted on 23 May at 10:51 AM to his Facebook wall. Clearly he is a habitual drinker. There are more such scenes of him sitting around with alcohol present.

It is time to vote alcohol as banned in South Africa. One life lost is one too many. There is just no reasonable justification to keep it around any longer. It destroys families and rips the fabric of society apart. During the lockdown alcohol ban, this country was a different place. Since unbanning it, all hell has broken loose again.

100612897_10223657222005023_186792924752

This is the time that CSA should step in and place pressure and oversight on the investigation and prosecution .

In the UK the police tow your car if you don't have insurance, licence or roadworthy or any number of other offences. It is crushed if it is not picked up after the offense has been rectified and storage fees have been paid.

RIP and condolences to the family.

Sadly the sanction of arrest and prosecution with all of the delays and loopholes and opportunities for evasion seem to have little effect on preventing undesirable and anti-social behaviour.  Given the level of respect for the state and it's institutions it appears that the sanction of business has become more decisive.

My mates working in the UK typically had it written into their contracts that arrest for drunk driving was cause for immediate dismissal.  This is the kind of sanction that South Africans understand and, if employers or businesses endorse this kind of behaviour the public can then vote with their feet.  Companies, who are supported by the public need to reinforce their position on issues through the quality and behaviour of the staff that they employ.

Maybe somebody could ask his employer for a comment?

Edited by SteveFW

RIP and condolences to the family.

Sadly the sanction of arrest and prosecution with all of the delays and loopholes and opportunities for evasion seem to have little effect on preventing undesirable and anti-social behaviour.  Given the level of respect for the state and it's institutions it appears that the sanction of business has become more decisive.

My mates working in the UK typically had it written into their contracts that arrest for drunk driving was cause for immediate dismissal.  This is the kind of sanction that South Africans understand and, if employers or businesses endorse this kind of behaviour the public can then vote with their feet.  Companies, who are supported by the public need to reinforce their position on issues through the quality and behaviour of the staff that they employ.

Maybe somebody could ask his employer for a comment?

If I was his employer he would be fired on the spot.

If I was his employer he would be fired on the spot.

which bizarrely and to my very limited knowledge is illegal in SA.  I fired a guy for being drunk at work repeatedly.  Took me to CCMA and I had to pay for counselling because the stress of packing boxes for me is what made him drink.

which bizarrely and to my very limited knowledge is illegal in SA. I fired a guy for being drunk at work repeatedly. Took me to CCMA and I had to pay for counselling because the stress of packing boxes for me is what made him drink.

Firing someone for being drunk at work is not illegal, not following the right process while firing him is. But I assume you know this. The process is not complicated (same goes for firing someone for poor performance), it's just admin and needs to be followed to the T.

But you are right, this guy's employer would not be able to fire him for this incident. Not at this point anyway...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Shocking...sorry, but that should be treated as murder with no option for a fine. Straight jail time. RIP...