Motorists vs Cyclists.... again

Terminator

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

different grades should different start times. But you'll still find parents creating traffic . Try Aliwal road outside The Wynberg Schools complex in the morning. &^$#

That was the one I was talking about.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

They should just walk or ride. My 4 year old riding 4km to school in the morning no problem. When it rains they put on rain jacket. They really enjoy it and is faster than the grid lock.

had it not been for one particular road I'd be encouraging my kids to ride to school, but at the time of the morning they would need to be on that road i would not like to be on it on a bicycle myself. Motorists turning a single lane road into 2 lanes and forcing the oncoming traffic almost into the gutter.

Just now, ouzo said:

had it not been for one particular road I'd be encouraging my kids to ride to school, but at the time of the morning they would need to be on that road i would not like to be on it on a bicycle myself. Motorists turning a single lane road into 2 lanes and forcing the oncoming traffic almost into the gutter.

Agreed, the new place crosses a lot less major roads so is a lot safer. But I see people pulling out of their garage in Friday, then arriving at the school 3 minutes after us.

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

different grades should different start times. But you'll still find parents creating traffic . Try Aliwal road outside The Wynberg Schools complex in the morning. &^$#

my eldest daughter school has a pretty slick drop off system with 2 lanes coming in from one gate and exiting at another gate. The problem comes in when mommy stops where ever she feels like it to let Susan get out the car and then hold up an entire 2 lanes of traffic.

56 minutes ago, TheoG said:

The problem is there is some cyclists that do behave like idiots when on the road, giving everyone else a bad name.

Once a motorist had one bad experience with one group of cyclists they are anti-bike towards everyone for ever.

Bottom line, lets do our part not to antagonize these idiots that simply can not be objective.

Sadly a LOT of truth in this statement.

Bad drivers will still be bad drivers.

But I do my little bit to not give them any excuse to get more upset with "cyclists in general".

1 minute ago, Pure Savage said:

Agreed, the new place crosses a lot less major roads so is a lot safer. But I see people pulling out of their garage in Friday, then arriving at the school 3 minutes after us.

last year (or was it the year before, cant recall now) there was a mommy who would drive out the complex across the road from teh school, then drive into the school to drop the kid off and then head back into the complex. I could only shake my head at the laziness. Actually for me it would be more effort to get in the car, drive the few hundred metres and drive back again than just walking.

I don't buy it. 

Motorists in general are rubbish. I hate them when I'm driving, I hate them when I'm on the bike. 

If people weren't so self obsessed, had a little bit of respect for each other and just treated everyone better then it wouldn't matter.

Idiots. The lot of us

8 minutes ago, ouzo said:

Maritz could so easily cycle the 1,5km to his school.  In fact, on weekends we cycle past his school.

During peak hour I dont even dare cross that one intersection !!!!  Late crawlers and early jumpers of the intersection means there is never a safe moment for a cyclist.  In fact, my work commute goes a completely different route to miss this intersection, and I only have to "turn" at this intersection for my commute.

Sadly some routes are incredibly dangerous in the mornings.

Sheesh, sounds like all y’all live in aggrocuckootrafficville while I’m in Sleepy Hollow. Dropping the kids off was a cinch and even peak hour traffic working at corporates in different parts of the metro each week was a breeze. Or is being weirdly chilled in traffic an undiscovered superpower?

We don’t get any beef while cycling either, maybe all y’all should move to Sleepy Hollow.  Er wait, take six mellow yellows first...

pills.jpg

????????

Edited by justinafrika

1 hour ago, TheoG said:

The problem is there are some cyclists that do behave like idiots when on the road, giving everyone else a bad name.

Once a motorist had one bad experience with one group of cyclists they are anti-bike towards everyone for ever.

Bottom line, lets do our part not to antagonize these idiots that simply can not be objective.

I reckon that we all experience far more drivers behaving like idiots every single day, but for some reason only seem to focus on cyclists. Makes zero sense 

4 minutes ago, BigDL said:

I reckon that we all experience far more drivers behaving like idiots every single day, but for some reason only seem to focus on cyclists. Makes zero sense 

Its true but I only feel like its a real threat when the difference between me and the steel cage bearing down on me is the thickness of the miracle tape on on my shin

4 minutes ago, BigDL said:

Only because there are far more drivers in general.
I reckon about the same % of any large enough given group of people are idiots. The problem becomes what impact does the idiot cyclists have vs the idiot motorists. There's no comparison.