Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

Since I cannot train outside, and I don't have an IDT, I was hoping for some good cycle race re-runs on DSTv, but NOTHING. 

Lots of old tennis, rugby and soccer, but no cycling  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fk this. In the UK under lockdown you may exercise outdoors once a day using common sense and a sense of responsibility.

People need an outlet and exercise is good mentally and physically. Please don't come with the BS that I'll be passing on a virus if I am allowed to exercise.

No lock down is complete. Emergency workers are out there. And plenty more. Financial services people. Supermarkets. Pharmacy. Doctor. Security. The list goes on.

We are allowed to go to the supermarket and stand in a queue 2m from a potential virus carrier. Certain may go queue for their tax payer funded grants. Etc.

This is Draconian.. are you missing that.. can't smoke.. can't drink.. can't walk outside where I live.. like a prisoner...

Cele is an acknowledgement authoritarian who wants not only to disarm us in the country with one of the worlds highest crime rates, now on this vital matter of a deathly virus he flip flops. We can walk dogs. We can't walk dogs. He treats this like a joke.

I firmly believe we should be allowed once a day to exercise outdoors. Alone. Just to get out. Please don't tell me I'll fall crash and need hospital. Driving to the supermarket I can have a car accident and need hospital.

Okay I have had my say.

I agree with you 100% but we all know our lovely lawless society, i think it's easier to police an all or nothing policy than one that requires some discipline. I would love to be able to just go jog around the block or take my bike to the park, I don't have a garden. 

Our restrictions have been ramped up. We have to stay at home but can exercise for 2km away.. Luckily I have 2 loops that are at their furthest point 2km away... But they are both hilly!

Our restrictions have been ramped up. We have to stay at home but can exercise for 2km away.. Luckily I have 2 loops that are at their furthest point 2km away... But they are both hilly!

You heard what he said, do you think that’s acceptable or do you think the intention was that people are only outside for a short time?

I’m not sure if I should be looking to map out a loop or two that stay within a 2km radius or just stay indoors except for a walk.

I’m leaning towards the indoors except for the walk part to be honest.

Ouch - loved this comment

Chris Barrett

You went a whole month without exercise in January. You can do it again for 21 days.

Thank you.That would be me.

I chortled a bit at that one.

:lol:

Like the guy threatening to go to his house. Really now, grow up.

It was a joke. I live on the other side of the country. I was just trying to drive the point that he should make the ride private, or at least add a privacy radius.

Yes, but with rotten eggs, that's more comical than actual threatening

:thumbup:

Things I worry about at 2:30 am on day 2 of lockdown 1

What will be the state of South Africa in a year?

And sub-saharan Africa?

What sequelae of the pandemic are there going to be in weeks 6 through 21?

How do I ensure the physical safety of my immediates in this time?

What plans must I make for a year's time?

Then I turned over and reminded myself that I'm not Rick Grimes.

Then I started reciting Yeats Second coming and remembering his spiral theory of history.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre

The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;

Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere

The ceremony of innocence is drowned;

The best lack all conviction, while the worst

Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;

Surely the Second Coming is at hand.

The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out

When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi

Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert

A shape with lion body and the head of a man,

A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,

Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it

Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.

The darkness drops again; but now I know

That twenty centuries of stony sleep

Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,

Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

So if you live in Bethlehem - vrystaat folks - and if the rough beast arrives we want him for the stormers.

Then I rolled over again and fantasised about descending little chappies in the CTCT

Then I switched to climbing spykers hill at hoogies.

Feeeerk!!! This is hectic.

Edited by Mamil

Never mind, the wording “brief individual personal exercise within 2km of your own home” tells me to just stick to the walk.

I don't think a cycle is possible and some people are going to battle with that. Me...I will be doing my two loops in one run every single time... That will be a 10km run. I think that is fair.. That's about 45 to 50min exercise. I think anything over an hour if starting to disrespect the laws. We had a chat about it on our running WhatsApp group last night

This is Ireland?

Spare bike cleaned up and serviced and pedals transferred.

Speed and cadence sensors installed.

Dumb trainer dusted off.

did a few laps around the house first to test the bike, dog thought I was off my rocker.

Registered and downloaded Rouvy, will give it a bash tomorrow morning. 

turns out my HR strap and Cadence sensor are ANT+ only. So no virtual riding for me.

Will have to stream some cycling content while I ride

turns out my HR strap and Cadence sensor are ANT+ only. So no virtual riding for me.

Will have to stream some cycling content while I ride

Isn't your phone ant+ compatible?

At the moment, we moan and groan about the lockdown restrictions.

I think in a week or two, our thinking will change to home = sanctuary.

I am there already, as I watch this rip the world a new one I can think of no place I would rather be than safely inside.

Touching on what everyone said about training outside, yes these restrictions seem draconian, but SA has got to have what is across the board one of the most undisciplined mindsets in the world. You allow people a tiny bit of grace and there will inevitably be the crowd who misuse the privilege.