Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

So what is the furthest you guys have ridden outside in the 3 hour window, within your 5km radius?

...thinking of trying to do a 100km ride on the road bike sometime next week.

Sounding like a sub3-level4-lockdown challenge. :D

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what is the furthest you guys have ridden outside in the 3 hour window, within your 5km radius?

My road bike is still on the trainer. Until now I only took the MTB up Paarl Mountain every morning to play a bit, but thinking of trying to do a 100km ride on the road bike sometime next week. Probably 10x 10km laps in town or something like that within the 5km radius.

Not possible in our area ...

6 to 7 one can do a nice lap ....

Then the morning traffic picks up and it becomes near impossible to maintain good flow ....

This Saturday there were so many walkers and runners outside that I had to stop a few times ...

Clearly this all depends on the roads in your zone.

NOTE ... this may not be a fast long distance ride, but there is just such a nice vibe out there :)

My road bike is still on the trainer. Until now I only took the MTB up Paarl Mountain every morning to play a bit, but thinking of trying to do a 100km ride on the road bike sometime next week. Probably 10x 10km laps in town or something like that within the 5km radius.

Haven’t bothered to be honest. The limited trails in the southern burbs are so jammed up and I didn’t really like riding with a mask, and wasn’t going to ride without one, so I am just taking the time to walk dogs, get the kids out on their bikes until the mountain opens up.

How have your efforts to get them to not ride 5 abreast through red lights gone so far?

I'd guess this would yield a similar result.

The stun gun is working wonders

69k's (2 laps) around Alberhoughton with just under 700m's of climbing

No chance in hell I'll do 100 ... Just to damn slow sadly

40km, with probably a few 100m flirting outside my circle of death.

Wanted to do 2 loops but got out there to late and wanted to get back a little earlier because Mother’s Day.

did 43km in 1hr20 min so i can get 90km into my area in 3hrs. Pace wasn't so hard that my average would slow down much.

Flippen boring and vokal opportunity to social distance. Roads were not as busy today due to the mist but busy enough.

#5kmfromhomemustfall

I ran 8km yesterday. Thats a new record for me. The goal is the top of chappies and back by the end of the year.

Two Oceans Ultra 2021...??

50km ... up and down again then round and about and then back up and then here and there and back again.

Dropping my buff from time to time when it started to feel like i was being waterboarded. Giving every muppet a wide berth and a skeefie if it doesnt have a mask on.

So bloody tedious.

Heres some more poetry (not Vogon)

It little profits that an idle king,

By this still hearth, among these barren crags,

Match'd with an aged wife, I mete and dole

Unequal laws unto a savage race,

That hoard, and sleep, and feed, and know not me.

I cannot rest from travel: I will drink

Life to the lees: All times I have enjoy'd

Greatly, have suffer'd greatly, both with those

That loved me, and alone, on shore, and when

Thro' scudding drifts the rainy Hyades

Vext the dim sea: I am become a name;

For always roaming with a hungry heart

Much have I seen and known; cities of men

And manners, climates, councils, governments,

Myself not least, but honour'd of them all;

And drunk delight of battle with my peers,

Far on the ringing plains of windy Troy.

I am a part of all that I have met;

Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'

Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades

For ever and forever when I move.

How dull it is to pause, to make an end,

To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!

As tho' to breathe were life! Life piled on life

Were all too little, and of one to me

Little remains: but every hour is saved

From that eternal silence, something more,

A bringer of new things; and vile it were

For some three suns to store and hoard myself,

And this gray spirit yearning in desire

To follow knowledge like a sinking star,

Beyond the utmost bound of human thought.

I cannot stand this holier than thou attitude by people who are obsessed with  what other people are doing.  Dumbasses cannot see that we have been stripped of all rights and freedoms and these prats are only concerned about who rides past 5km raduis  cause.they breaking "the rules".    

Dont talk to me about rules when my company and thousands of others have been illegally forced to shutdown i have laid off 40 workers who when we try apply for UIF and  still after 5 weeks have not seen a cent from our GOVT.   They starving to death and the Govt have basically told us all to shut up and accept this.  Get your priorities in order.  Perhaps start asking hard questions and attacking the real rule breakers which are our police and govt .   When govt play by rules then maybe the people will follow. 

surely "hatman: must sit and giggle when he sees how divided we are - as you say have we lost site of what is important here and who the real F##$ are in this story 

Once we can all agree and stand together about what really matter then we may get somewhere and make a difference 

Edited by roodie