Incident Total garage on Malibongwe

_David_

I think the blame is with the law, and the disrespect for it ...

Drivers like this will be a dime a dozen, until law is enforced competently...

I have yet to see taxi drivers stopped for running red lights, driving on the yellow line, etc

so if you cant prevent minor crimes, how on earth do you prevent bigger crimes like this?

To me it starts at the top of the food chain, and ends with this driver at the bottom, and it should be jail time etc ... but alas the poor rule of the land degrades and a blind eye is turned ...  

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, mudda said:

I think the blame is with the law, and the disrespect for it ...

Drivers like this will be a dime a dozen, until law is enforced competently...

I have yet to see taxi drivers stopped for running red lights, driving on the yellow line, etc

so if you cant prevent minor crimes, how on earth do you prevent bigger crimes like this?

To me it starts at the top of the food chain, and ends with this driver at the bottom, and it should be jail time etc ... but alas the poor rule of the land degrades and a blind eye is turned ...  

I don't mean to nitpick but I view it differently. For me it starts with yourself/oneself:  if you don't accept the bribe/choose not to run the red traffic light/choose not to drink and then drive etc. life will be better for all around you. It's not a big decision to make, but if everyone makes the same responsible decision, it makes a big impact.

Yes, as a laaitie you got moered if you climbed the neighbour's tree to steel his fruit after your toppie warned you not to do it, but we are all supposed to be adults capable of making adult decisions. We shouldn't need a stick.

I know, Utopia right? sigh....

6 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

I don't mean to nitpick but I view it differently. For me it starts with yourself/oneself:  if you don't accept the bribe/choose not to run the red traffic light/choose not to drink and then drive etc. life will be better for all around you. It's not a big decision to make, but if everyone makes the same responsible decision, it makes a big impact.

Yes, as a laaitie you got moered if you climbed the neighbour's tree to steel his fruit after your toppie warned you not to do it, but we are all supposed to be adults capable of making adult decisions. We shouldn't need a stick.

I know, Utopia right? sigh....

Everyone wants the world to change, but no one wants to change themselves.

56 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

I wonder how many people on here drink and drive themselves... I would bet that number is quite high... "I'm fine to drive, I only had a few" 

not a fark. My wife and I take turns. one evening she gets to  have a few and I drink water and drive the next its my turn. or we Uber.

I prefer to raise my kids myself

2 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

I wonder how many people on here drink and drive themselves... I would bet that number is quite high... "I'm fine to drive, I only had a few" 

Nope.  Besides, some breathalysers are relatively inexpensive and I have one wrapped to keep cool in each car.  Got those for two mates as well.  Loads of med equipment supply companies sell these. Party events are ubered up.

Edited by justinafrika

37 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

not a fark. My wife and I take turns. one evening she gets to  have a few and I drink water and drive the next its my turn. or we Uber.

I prefer to raise my kids myself

this.

and uber of course. I dont care if it means I get an uber black and it cost me R750+ one way.

You need to ask yourself that when you sit in the chookie because you got caught or killed someone, what you would pay to make it all go away. I garen-Fn-tee you you'llbe willing to pay atleast 20-50 times that amount then. 

8 hours ago, MORNE said:

this.

and uber of course. I dont care if it means I get an uber black and it cost me R750+ one way.

You need to ask yourself that when you sit in the chookie because you got caught or killed someone, what you would pay to make it all go away. I garen-Fn-tee you you'llbe willing to pay atleast 20-50 times that amount then. 

Or just quit drinking and you never have to ever worry about it..... 🙊

Tragedy, signal about SA and anger inducing 🥵. As noted, change is not just policing, although it is a big factor, but responsibility should be taken and behaviour changed. One way is to educate; start at school with a consistent message (driving, litter, theft, employment etc) and have it echoed all the way to el presidente but backed with encouragement as well as enforcement. A bit Chinese and totalitarian for some but, as China has proven, it gets the job done.

10 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

I am often called out for being the guy at the braai drinking coffee but I absolutely refuse to drive after drinking. More so as I have a wife and kids whose lives are in my hands when doing so.
I am in the minority in my experience, have seen many climb into cars with their families plastered. 
It is a mentality, and starts with you as many have said.
Quickly nipping over the yellow light because you are in a hurry, or using a stop sign as a yield, etc. The small things snowball and when other see it they follow suit. Herd mentality.......

"During the hard lockdown earlier this year, when the sale of liquor was initially banned, there was a 60% to 70% reduction in hospital visits and admissions related to trauma".

"When SA moved to lockdown level 3 on June 1, allowing the sale of alcohol except for on-site consumption, there was a noticeable surge in trauma-related hospital admissions. Facilities reported up to a 60% increase in trauma emergency centre admissions and up to a 200% increase in ICU trauma admissions".

https://sacoronavirus.co.za/2020/07/14/zweli-mkhize-just-one-week-of-alcohol-ban-will-see-3400-fewer-hospital-traumas/

4 minutes ago, _David_ said:

"During the hard lockdown earlier this year, when the sale of liquor was initially banned, there was a 60% to 70% reduction in hospital visits and admissions related to trauma".

"When SA moved to lockdown level 3 on June 1, allowing the sale of alcohol except for on-site consumption, there was a noticeable surge in trauma-related hospital admissions. Facilities reported up to a 60% increase in trauma emergency centre admissions and up to a 200% increase in ICU trauma admissions".

https://sacoronavirus.co.za/2020/07/14/zweli-mkhize-just-one-week-of-alcohol-ban-will-see-3400-fewer-hospital-traumas/

This coupled with the child/spouse abuse stats......

Anyway, bikehub has seen too many of my booze free tirades. Not one single person has ever given me one believable reason how alcohol makes their life better and I know a LOT who are definitely far worse off because of it. 

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

This coupled with the child/spouse abuse stats......

Anyway, bikehub has seen too many of my booze free tirades. Not one single person has ever given me one believable reason how alcohol makes their life better and I know a LOT who are definitely far worse off because of it. 

My 2cents for what it's worth. I stopped drink 5 years ago when I got married. It is remarkable how awkward braai's become when you are the only guy drinking a coke. Luckily Alcohol free beer came out and made social events less of a mission. 

This country has a nationwide alcohol problem, once you start brewing up pineapples to get your fix, you should ask some questions.... This isn't normal, if you can't go for a month or two without a "drink", you might have a problem. 

I too, have challenged my friends and family to provide me with some data about the possible health benefits of alcohol. Nothing notable thus far, except the perception of it being a "social lubricant" or "dutch courage". 

Whilst on the rant about traffic violations, speeding... Here in Paarl it's quite an issue, especially past Spice Route (Suider Paarl Road), the speed limit is 80km/h yet people drive 120km/k+ there. It's part of many of the road cycling loops and even leads to many of the MTB trails, so simply avoiding it isn't that easy. 

*Rant over*. Have a great day folks and stay safe.