Tumbles in spot of bother

Spinnekop

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody in JHB please give Kevin a hug for me. I'd give blood too if it would help.

I'm go to start donating again. Got slack about that.

TW hang in there!

Only read this now, get better soonest Tumbles, stay strong and keep fighting!!

Ouch 70 percent burns, the car must have gone up like a fireball, poor dude.

All this talk of blood groups. I can just imagine that there is a blackboard in Grapes, with the title "Donate a Pint to Barry". Let's juts hope his AA sponsor gets it explained properly first if he come pay a visit!

I have called the SANBS to find out if its possible to donate and designate ones bleed to a specific patient. It is, but there is some admin, including a letter which the donor would need from Barry's doctor, specifying his blood group, and the blood product required.

Also, prospective donors would need to go to SANBS at Benoni. I will post the address and all further details if and when there is a need for this initiative, which i will co-ordinate.

In the meantime, please note: if you are a prospective donor, there is a charge levied for the logistics of a designated donation. The donor can pay this, although they cant tell me what the amount would be. Again, we can interrogate this when we have more clarity  - but the object is not to lub Tumbles with extra billings for these costs (blood and platelets are hectic expensive as it is), so the donor should be prepared to pay the logistics fee if at all possible.

Anyway, i have sent a tweet to Kevin asking him IF there is a need for copious amounts of blood, and if so, whether  we can help - but i am sure not going to bug him about it. The last thing a family needs or wants in circumstances like these is to be pressured with admin by anyone, so lets all just wait and what, if anything, develops.

Posted by Kevin on FB.

A week ago today Barry Mccallum was admitted to the Glynnwood. It still does not feel real.

I saw him briefly, as he was wheeled past him from the theatre, where he had had his wounds dressed. It was the most heartbreaking thing I have seen. Helpless as he was rolled past, the doctor pumping a bag to help him breathe. Hope and fear and shock. But it was a good day. Barry is strong and fighting.

I had a long talk with Dr Liam Brannigan, the head of the ICU. I used to drink with his cousins, the Meredith boys. I had a few drinks with Liam more than once. Liam explained what is happening now and the way forward. He runs an "aggressive" unit, that is always looking at the next step, the treatment that is to come. That is why they are perhaps the best ICU in SA.

The plan is to put a colostomy bag on Barry this week, because his buttocks are badly burnt and any fecal matter would infect those wounds. The feeding and ventilation tubes will remain for now, but they...wait, that should "we", this is our fight as much as their's... would like to have those tubes out as soon as they can.

Breandan McCallum flies back tonight. Conor Mccallum is staying for another week. The boys have made me immensely proud to be their uncle. They have become men. B will play in a big semifinal at the Allianz Park on Saturday. His dad will be proud of his boy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Latest update from Kevin.

The fluidity and uncertainty of the position of Barry Mccallum will keep us on our toes for the months to come. Yesterday morning he was okay. He was in theatre to change his dressings. Last night was, according to the doc, rough-ish, but they are prepared for it. As always, infection is the enemy.

He was looking better this morning. He will go in for surgery again on Thursday to have his colostomy bag attached. He will also have debridement then, which means they will remove any damaged tissue they find. After that, we will see if we can get him off the ventilator and the feeding tube and other machines that go ping.

I'm about to go ping myself. I think I'll have a beer with some mates shortly. I also think I am going to head to Cape Town this weekend to ride bikes and have some wine and spend some time with my wife. I'm not escaping Barry. I'm just going to re-set and remember and rejuvenate a little. Every day is a fight, for Barry, his family and his medical team. We are all part of it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This reminds me a little of the owner of Ride magazine. Well his son actually. Andrew Steer knows who I mean. He was very badly burnt refueling a generator. Spent a long time in hospital. A year later I did the Mashatu tour with him.

Let's do this Barry.