This level of entitlement is not helpful to the community

Reme Le Hane

browsing through this topic and its a selfish person that would put up a notice on a trail that he doesn't own and it displays a lack of self awareness..

imagine if there was a bull or a herd of farm animals on the trail that might be nervous...

or a person doing some shooting practice....

sadly don't know what this trail is like to ride....but his struggles will continue for another while...

"This section of trail is great for people who've never been fired at before"  :eek:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather hot air than stupid.

If you cant understand the implications here don't try and get someone to explain it to you...

So rather shut the ..... up, im trying to assist in a manner, but like every other forum there are toxic and entitled members just cause they have a high post count they think they are Gods....

Bye now pleb and good luck

I'm only seeing one person with an entitled toxic attitude. 

...imagine being intimidated by someone's post count. 

Rather hot air than stupid.

If you cant understand the implications here don't try and get someone to explain it to you...

So rather shut the ..... up, im trying to assist in a manner, but like every other forum there are toxic and entitled members just cause they have a high post count they think they are Gods....

Bye now pleb and good luck

I have been a member of this forum since inception. I was the 50th member to join and in all that time nobody has called me out as being "toxic and entitled", nor (to my shame) have I even received a warning from the Mods. I am here to learn, and you have indicated your intention to assist.  Please will you help me. 

The purpose of the act, and I quote from the original source:

"To promote the protection of personal information processed by public and private bodies; to introduce certain conditions so as to establish minimum requirements for the processing of personal information; to provide for the establishment of an Information Regulator to exercise certain powers and to perform certain duties and functions in terms of this Act and the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000; to provide for the issuing of codes of conduct; to provide for the rights of persons regarding unsolicited electronic communications and automated decision making; to regulate the flow of personal information across the borders of the Republic; and to provide for matters connected therewith."

I have also scanned the act (very briefly) but found no obvious indication that posting a picture of a sign someone put up in public that contains only his own name and phone number,  falls within the scope or intention of the law. I didn't know that it did.

But then again, I am not a lawyer (nor POPI boffin) Please help me learn something  by pointing out  where the law prohibits this. 

Regards

e

Edited by eddy

I have been a member of this forum since inception. I was the 50th member to join and in all that time nobody has called me out as being "toxic and entitled", nor (to my shame) have I even received a warning from the Mods. I am here to learn, and you have indicated your intention to assist.  Please will you help me. 

The purpose of the act, and I quote from the original source:

"To promote the protection of personal information processed by public and private bodies; to introduce certain conditions so as to establish minimum requirements for the processing of personal information; to provide for the establishment of an Information Regulator to exercise certain powers and to perform certain duties and functions in terms of this Act and the Promotion of Access to Information Act, 2000; to provide for the issuing of codes of conduct; to provide for the rights of persons regarding unsolicited electronic communications and automated decision making; to regulate the flow of personal information across the borders of the Republic; and to provide for matters connected therewith."

I have also scanned the act (very briefly) but found no obvious indication that posting a picture of a sign someone put up in public that contains only his own name and phone number,  falls within the scope or intention of the law. I didn't know that it did.

But then again, I am not a lawyer (nor POPI boffin) Please help me learn something  by pointing out  where the law prohibits this

Regards

e

We have spent obscene amounts investigating POPIA (always makes me think of fruit) and GDPR due to the large liabilities that data retentions carry these days.

The one consistency that I have found is that "POPI" seems to be very misunderstood by the majority of people who shout about it. 

We have spent obscene amounts investigating POPIA (always makes me think of fruit) and GDPR due to the large liabilities that data retentions carry these days.

The one consistency that I have found is that "POPI" seems to be very misunderstood by the majority of people who shout about it. 

If I give you my personal data while you render a service to me, you are responsible for protecting it. If i scribble my details on a snotty note and put it on your windscreen (or on a gate)... well... all bets are off for me

Oh, and GDPR reminds me of an oppressive regime that did lots of doping but made good athletes

If I give you my personal data while you render a service to me, you are responsible for protecting it. If i scribble my details on a snotty note and put it on your windscreen (or on a gate)... well... all bets are off for me

Oh, and GDPR reminds me of an oppressive regime that did lots of doping but made good athletes

Not necessarily ;) 

Not necessarily ;)

I know you are an expert, can you help me out.

Dr Makoot has stuck his phone number up on a traffic light nearby and claims to be able to enhance certain of my attributes.

If my girlfriend takes a picture of his note and WhatsApps it to me, is she in breach of POPIA ?

I know you are an expert, can you help me out.

Dr Makoot has stuck his phone number up on a traffic light nearby and claims to be able to enhance certain of my attributes.

If my girlfriend takes a picture of his note and WhatsApps it to me, is she in breach of POPIA ?

NO, please share the number, asking for a friend  :ph34r:

Has anyone contacted the Author? 

Or sent him a link to the thread via whatsapp/telegram/smokesignal/FB Messenger/Carrier pigeon

I sent him a friendly whatsapp, said his letter was kicking up a bit of heat and if he wanted to defend his letter here's the link.

He gave me permission to post his reply, and might tag along later to see what is being said.  I disagree with his interpretations and actions, but I guess he has a right to his opinion here and elsewhere. I'm not sure if there is any point in me saying that people should play the ball and not the man, since I don't think i did in the first place.

Hi Steven. I am willing to defend my notice. 

I had many of the users of the specific road supporting my opinion.
For many years the specific route had been used. There are also other informal roads on that piece of land that had been and could be used and is still there (and currently used by myself) and not interfere with agricultural activities. Similar to the roads around the university vineyard closer to Dalsig. Many people walk / run there. I have never seen anyone wandering in the vineyards rows itself. We all only enjoy being in such an open environment.
Would it not be better then to state that there are new owners / developers for the land that request that we the users rather use the other alternative roads provided (and specify the go / no go roads) in future.  Such an approach will be a winwin situation. Not just a board to turn back / wrong way without explanation.

Regards
B Schutte

well, if I left it on your gate, it's not your responsibility at all.

It is your POPIA responsibility, no duty, to take down all estate agent boards with cell numbers. 

I sent him a friendly whatsapp, said his letter was kicking up a bit of heat and if he wanted to defend his letter here's the link.

He gave me permission to post his reply, and might tag along later to see what is being said. I disagree with his interpretations and actions, but I guess he has a right to his opinion here and elsewhere. I'm not sure if there is any point in me saying that people should play the ball and not the man, since I don't think i did in the first place.

Now would it not have been better had he used the same polite tone in the publicly posted letter as apposed to the entitled arrogance he opted for.

Use the same polite and enquiring tone as in the response to you and this thread would not have existed.

Being rude and demanding as someone decided they no longer wished stranger to access their private property to which said strangers have no expectation of access to, is the fastest way to get told to F off and simply ensures that they be all the more reluctant to open the land back up to us.

The wannabes club in the area has lost farms for that exact reason, a rider ridding off the marked route past the owners house at 5am which is also outside access hours, without a permit and then swore at the owner when asked to use the correct route and buy a permit. So thanks to one entitled ass, that farm is gone, and what’s worse is it was one of the not flat ones. The club has near 2000 annual members and who knows how many day permit buyers and they all suffer because of 1 person who believed his **** didn’t stink.

Not the exact same situation, but it took the actions of a single individual to damage a relationship that impacts an entire community.

You treat the owners with respect and I am sure they will be happy to open a dialogue, you treat them like they are no better than the fly turd under your shoe and they will tell you and the rest of us to go shove it, then we all suffer thanks to one man.

What do people not understand? Private property......if there has been a change in ownership and the new owner does not want to continue the "privilege" of access, then that's his business, he does not have to write any explanatory notes or hang any sweet signage or notify the universe that he is the new owner with new rules...the signs he posted are quite adequate and fair...he could have done nothing and then locked your a***e up for trespassing !