Coronavirus lockdown and exercising outdoors

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got up too late, and just took the dogs for a short walk. The noise! Worth it though, they loved it.

We wore our masks, but except for a dad and his daughter on bikes with buffs over their faces, the closest to masks was people protecting their necks from the virus. There should be another spike in the numbers in a week or so.

Edit: oh, and plenty who started way too late to be back by 9am

Edited by HdB

With no IDT, I ran a 5 week couch potato experiment during lockdown to keep me sane. 

Did not go jogging in the backyard like my wife.  Lived the life like an avg person - sleep, work, TV, choccies, red wine, repeat.

Gained 5 kg.  Avg HR (weekly) increased from 50 to 52 to 55 to 57 to 60 to 62.

Went for my hr ride this morning.  Marelize hard. HR spiked to repeatedly 180-ish without really trying.  Legs weak as sh...t.  Arse sore. 

Glorious to be outside again.

Edited by Underachiever

I was on the road 6h12

Notable sequence I picked up:

Cyclists seemed to be the first ones out. Followed by the runners, about 30min later. Lastly the walkers came out after the sun showed up.

I'm guessing the roads are insanely busy right now with everyone else and their dogs going for a walk.

Rough guesstimate that about 60% of people wore masks. Markedly, all the black people wore masks, only the whiteys went maskless. That's just my suburb, but still fascinating.

Still much safer than a supermarket visit in my mind.

Exactly my experience. Empty streets at 6:10.

Although the first part of my ride was "out of town" so only cyclists would venture there.

Got back into town at around 8:20 and decided to loop through the burbs. Looked like a fun run 5k out there, was insane.

Strangely most "athletes" wearing some face covering, the dog walkers and soccer Moms not bothering and they're the ones standing around in groups of 5 or 6 having fat chats. 

Good thing I decided to rather take my doggo's out for a walk this morning. Will however go and see if much has changed on the Spes Bona loop tomorrow morning. 

Just remember you need at least 3 friends with you otherwise you are not allowed to ride there  ^_^

If I look at my Strava this 5km radius thing is really just a rough guideline not an actual rule ( I am also a bit of hypocrite here - only half of Spes fit in my 5km radius...)

That said, the vibe on the roads was great - was lekker to be on the bike again. 

Went out about 630,

Did not notice an increase in riders or runners really, most had masks or buffs.

I had a buff that i took down if going up a hill mostly cos my glasses steamed up and couldnt see where I was going.

If i was approaching joggers coming the other way then i pulled buff up again, noticed that many of them did same.

Saw a couple of groups of 4 but they were split into 2+2 kind of thing.

So didnt see anything that one could really classify as irresponsible behaviour under the circumstances.

Really was lekker to get out and about again

Just remember you need at least 3 friends with you otherwise you are not allowed to ride there  ^_^

If I look at my Strava this 5km radius thing is really just a rough guideline not an actual rule ( I am also a bit of hypocrite here - only half of Spes fit in my 5km radius...)

That said, the vibe on the roads was great - was lekker to be on the bike again. 

Quite sure I'll happen to "just meet" my buddies out for their ride also. ;)

The whole Spes loop is within my 5km radius. Should the trails re-open, Meerendal is just on the edge of my radius. Bloemendal falls just outside. 

0630 on the road out here in the cradle.

Maybe 6 other cyclists as one or twos. V few cars. Beautiful weather.

Turns out even with limited roads out here in my 10km dia circle, you can make a nice 31km route! (Relax, not a full cradle lap).

Lots of enthusiastic greetings from other cyclists...Happy people!

(And in my local area - sand roads - exactly 2 walkers. Any given weekend or PH, there'd be 10+ around. Late lie-in?)

Quite sure I'll happen to "just meet" my buddies out for their ride also. ;)

The whole Spes loop is within my 5km radius. Should the trails re-open, Meerendal is just on the edge of my radius. Bloemendal falls just outside. 

Never in my life before have I seen so many people on mountain bikes in St Johns Road. I felt like an alien on my road bike. It was a bit of a carnaval atmosphere out there but if there were cops around who were keen to put people in a cell for the weekend for not wearing masks or keeping social distancing they would have had a field day :)  

Give it 5days max, then the roads and fields wil be quiter again until 8am. After 8 all the Karens wil be walking with their families. Another week and that will end as wel.

If yiu want to get a lekker ride in, start st 6, saw few riders until 7:30. Wifey went for a run, and after her run we took the kids for a ride. Was a night and day difference in the streets....

Yup, after this weekend people will go back to sleeping in....

I was out at 6, saw no other riders until 7, then the numbers picked steadily till 8. When I got back home at 8 to take the dogs for a walk the streets were very busy with families walking around.

I'm gonna keep going out at 6, to avoid the traffic. I just hope after how busy everything was the government doesn't walk back on this decision.... I really missed my bike and I don't wanna go back to no riding!!

I have to say in the Rothdene/Riverdal side of the Vaal Triangle very few people came out. Me and my dad only encountered about 5 solo cyclists and 2 or 3 solo runners. But I saw the same thing, the african people going to work or town had masks on, but the european guys cycling/running nada. It was a bastard riding with a mask on but I don't want to screw things up.