Cape Town Cycle Tour 2020

Long Wheel Base

The most fun I’ve ever had on a bike - stopped for coffee in Smits with friends and a beer in Hout bay

Still managed a respectable 335 and PBs up every hill

We rode almost matching Colnagos and stayed away from bunches apart from here and there

Amazing day and best part was watching the lunatic finish on a bmx

post-81229-0-86396600-1583725170_thumb.jpeg

post-81229-0-31413000-1583725200_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Waynemol

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rode with my BIL from 6E. He rode on an old K@K Scott mtb from 1998. The longest ride he'd ever done was 20km before this.

I managed to coax him over all the hills with no walking and got him home 15 minutes before cut off.

This was my first CTCT, and I did a 3:01 from 1B which I'm happy with (would have loved to be a minute faster though).

The 1b/c/d group was ridiculous though. By far the biggest group I've ever been in.

Are there always so many crashes though? It felt super sketchy to me at times, and riding past the 1b/c/d crash after Smitwinkel and seeing a pool of blood on the road made me really nervous for the rest of the day.

I saw you in the Thabang top, but struck a blank on your hub name, so just went with "hey bike hub" ????

As for the crashes and near misses, jup, always the same. Every little rise it is the smell of tyres, and often a touch of wheels.

I managed to get to the front around Simon's Town, probably the only reason I didn't see more crashes. 2h52m, not a PB, but very happy that both my dad (3h21m) and myself finished safely.

I don't own an e bike, but damn there are some sensitive ego's around here. If you can't stand being overtaken on a hill or thinking about someone else achieving their "PB" I don't know, maybe ride faster, or get an earlier start time? Its the Wold Funride Champs people. The Argust. Lot's of "normal" cyclists behave badly when overtaking too. Heck some of them even throw away their "scientific" gel wrappers and some even take questionable meds to chase their "PB's. These mass participation events should be about the day out, raising money for charity, damn maybe even having some fun and smelling the fynbos.

Glad you were able to enjoy the day Stef. Ride on

Braaap.

I was unlucky to come off in one of the crashes yesterday just before Simtswinkel infront of the medics tent at least. Nothing broken just nasty road rash and a damaged bike. About 5 or 6 of us in one crash, one guy stretcher off the road and taken to hospital. 

That had to of been the most dangerous race I have ever ridden, these mega bunches formed from the 1min gaps was just crazy and things got extremely scary coming into Simonstown, even the mood in the bunch changed. 

As much as I would love to come back and race it again im not sure I will if this is the organisers plan for the future. 

To the Velokhaya bunch...next year I will be handing out complementary PK's...

You fellas pass like complete chops slicing through the crowd and causing mayhem, all the while shouting and whistling as you approach. And to "Junior"...you so nearly clipped my bars at 30 kph. That would have ended badly for you. Just saying.

To the idiot who passed between myself and another cyclist on the Cape Point descent, you sir are a mullet. How you think it's acceptable to pass between two riders doing nearly 50 kph within a hands breadth between bars...brains are few...

Yup, that's the Savage I chatted to just before Chappies. Hope he's ok, looked like his shoulder was giving him grief.

Was that the guy that was going up suikerbossie when you saw me? If it was, shame he was in pain but soldiered on and was still passing people up suikerbossie. He was on a cannondale IICR.

Good to meet you!!!

We stayed over in Noordhoek so we were just back in time to watch the last cyclists make the 15:00 cut off. With about 15 mins ago two riders went through without helmets about 5min apart. One mtb and the other an e-bike. Wonder how they got that far without being stopped.

What a fantastic day out! ... But to the Self Proclaimed "pro rider" on his 2nd lap that started gobbing off at a Fat hacker like me for 'drafting' him and putting his career at risk...

You my friend need to Recalibrate your thoughts.

The back bunches are a Zombie Scene, it's the people Enjoying the experience... Sucking wheels, dodging wreckage, getting rained on... You had 1 lap of fun, dont bring your Chipped shoulder vibes to the rest of us Punters!

Well done to everyone...!

I think they must stop this second lap ride next year. Lots of those fast riders causes havoc in the late bunches weaving through traffic and shouting at slow riders. That is not on, and not what the tour is about.

Edited by Moridin

I think they must stop this second lap ride next year. Lots of those fast riders causes havoc in the late bunches weaving through traffic and shouting at slow riders. That is not on, and not what the tour is about.

Never going to happen, the amount of people doing two laps illegally was nuts.  I got passed by few and they all made very sure not to cross any racetec mats etc. (and the fact they started at least 30 minutes behind me)

Was that the guy that was going up suikerbossie when you saw me? If it was, shame he was in pain but soldiered on and was still passing people up suikerbossie. He was on a cannondale IICR.

Good to meet you!!!

Most likely the same guy, he was on a Cannondale.

Good meeting you, I latched onto your wheel when you came past just over the top, but after about 100m realised that there was no way I was going to be able to sustain that pace!

Looks like you guys took about 4min on me from there to the finish.

I don't own an e bike, but damn there are some sensitive ego's around here. If you can't stand being overtaken on a hill or thinking about someone else achieving their "PB" I don't know, maybe ride faster, or get an earlier start time? Its the Wold Funride Champs people. The Argust. Lot's of "normal" cyclists behave badly when overtaking too. Heck some of them even throw away their "scientific" gel wrappers and some even take questionable meds to chase their "PB's. These mass participation events should be about the day out, raising money for charity, damn maybe even having some fun and smelling the fynbos.

Glad you were able to enjoy the day Stef. Ride on

Braaap.

My thoughts exactly.

Argus is a day for bikes to rule the roads.

Mountain bikes/tandem/unicycle/ebike whatever you roll on.

Put any crowd of 30 000 together and you are going to find a sizeable portion of tjops, this is no different.

If anyone thinks they deserve the road more than anyone else then they need to look in the mirror rather than complain about the injustice of it.

As for unentered second lappers, high group ebikers etc. They could very easily stop this with the racetec/ photo evidence. Do a blits on the data and suspend a few people for a year or two. That will stop the incentive.

Number 29 done!!!!!!

My report: 2A start group, we didn't realise the group would be so big. When we got into the pen, we were right at the back. I started my GPS as the gun went off and it took almost a minute till we moved. To make things worse, the lady in front of us decided she wanted to adjust her shoes and she held a few of us up a few more seconds before going(she wasn't blonde but that was a blonde moment). We charged off and I just kept right and was just shouting left please all the time, most of the people moved over and gave us space but a select few refused. I think we only caught the front of 2A near boyes drive but it was hard to tell as there were so many 1 numbers mixed in with them. We eventually got some clean air just before fish hoek but then as we went around the corner at the traffic circle the road was very bumpy and our interlink chain came off, stopped and put it back on and the next time we caught any sort of group was bottom of smits. It was basically a TT from start to finish. We climbed chappies ok but I could feel the power starting to drop. Suikerbossie was a nightmare, I had no climbing legs at all. Ended up with a 3H15, we happy. Think had we started at or near the front and never had the mechanical we could have gone very close to 3, maybe even have added another sub 3 to the bag. But we finished safely and that is the main thing. 

Can't wait for 2021.

As for unentered second lappers, high group ebikers etc. They could very easily stop this with the racetec/ photo evidence. Do a blits on the data and suspend a few people for a year or two. That will stop the incentive.

As said, they made sure to not cross the matts and Im sure a  few removed chips not to get detected.

People complain each year, but you never hear about the thanks for getting pushed up the hills, getting nice wheel suck or just having some motivation shouted.  (Well, thats how I try and do it, who knows, maybe im tjop as well, but will do it as long as i legally can)

Two questions :

I suppose Racetec are a bit busy at the moment but I dropped back but my time is calculated from my original start time.

My number was taken as I entered the pen so they have record of it.

Do I wait or do I register a query ?

Second, how do I search for someone's based on their race number? I need to confirm I have the right guy.